• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Steichen as HC

DaveThePanther2008

10 hours ago, Ricky Spanish said:

Steichen has been my #1 choice since before Rhule was fired. I've been saying this for months:

• Hire Steichen
  • Sign Minshew
  • Draft Rookie QB
  • Have Minshew helm the ship until rookie is ready.
  • Win more

There are a couple of candidates that I would be okay with (pending what they say when interviewed), but, yeah.  Those are the steps. 

This time, don't make it impossible to continue on with the plan because the HC is too much of a narcissist to deal with the bridge QB not being willing to be thrown under the bus, when the coaching staff has its own issues holding up progress.

5 minutes ago, Sean Payton's Vicodin said:

that sounds like an excellent plan to win 7-8 games every season. congrats to staying true to the panthers way

I was on the Wilks bandwagon even after the ass-whooping we took in Cincinnati.  But after Sunday's game I came to realize that the big games are too big for Wilks.  I waited and waited for the Panthers to make adjustments to what the Steelers were doing against us both offensively and defensively.  It never happened.  This IMO is an indication he has no clue what to do when you are getting handled.  

Good teams will figure your tendencies out and if you don't adjust you're done.  IMO he won't figure out what to do.  We'll beat inferior teams but the real good teams will handle us and like you said, we're stuck with 7 or 8 wins.

I don't know if Steichen will be great or not as a head coach. But he has his offense 12-1 in a very tough division.  He's taken a QB that, IMO was a bubble QB and has him in the MVP conversation.  I'd take my chances with this.  If he can take a player and work his strengths and get them as the top offense in the league he's got my vote.

• Pie 2
  • Beer 1

7 minutes ago, DaveThePanther2008 said:

I waited and waited for the Panthers to make adjustments to what the Steelers were doing against us both offensively and defensively.  It never happened.

Very Rivera-like. One of the reasons we lost Super Bowl 50 was because Rivera didn’t adjust. 
Seems some coaches think if they keep doing the same thing over and over eventually it will work. 
Feel like that is a definition of something. 

• Pie 2

14 minutes ago, DaveThePanther2008 said:

I was on the Wilks bandwagon even after the ass-whooping we took in Cincinnati.  But after Sunday's game I came to realize that the big games are too big for Wilks.  I waited and waited for the Panthers to make adjustments to what the Steelers were doing against us both offensively and defensively.  It never happened.  This IMO is an indication he has no clue what to do when you are getting handled.  

Good teams will figure your tendencies out and if you don't adjust you're done.  IMO he won't figure out what to do.  We'll beat inferior teams but the real good teams will handle us and like you said, we're stuck with 7 or 8 wins.

I don't know if Steichen will be great or not as a head coach. But he has his offense 12-1 in a very tough division.  He's taken a QB that, IMO was a bubble QB and has him in the MVP conversation.  I'd take my chances with this.  If he can take a player and work his strengths and get them as the top offense in the league he's got my vote.

Yup, I don't see Wilks growing as a HC much. He has the Ron problem of struggling to adjust on the fly when the gameplan you installed during the week isn't working, and thats just a death sentence vs non crap teams. He did an admirable job righting the ship after 3 years of Rhule, but I don't ever see him being that guy to put us over the edge. 

• Pie 1

Jimmie's and Joe's vs X's and O's.  It's still true.

The only way taking a chance on Steichen is a problem is if we aren't willing to move on if we don't see growth.  Yes, that's historically been our issue.  I'm not saying we need to light it up, but we do need to see growth.

To me, that was why Rhule should have been gone.  It was obvious we weren't growing as a team.  As long as we recognize that quickly and do the right thing, I have no problem taking chances on young offensive minds.

Edited by BrianS
  • Beer 1

4 hours ago, CanadianCat said:

Someone else mentioned it here but I think you absolutely need to hire an offensive guy for your head coach and roll the dice that he's a good leader. Even for this example if you hire coach that is not your offensive guy and hire a stud OC he just gets picked up by another team. I think for that reason alone this position regardless of who it is has to be and offensive guy

There is a workaround if you are afraid of losing your OC. Create an ASST OC position. Let the OC teach him everything he can so when he leaves you have his replacement ready to go. Rinse and repeat and you'll never run out of OCs.

Or, just hire Scott Turner as coach. He's been around the game all his life. He has contacts to help him build a staff. And he is imaginative. 

Either route works for me. But then again, I'm married so I'm not used to getting my own way very often.

• Beer 2

6 minutes ago, Gerry Green said:

There is a workaround if you are afraid of losing your OC. Create an ASST OC position. Let the OC teach him everything he can so when he leaves you have his replacement ready to go. Rinse and repeat and you'll never run out of OCs.

Im married too, i get what your saying, ha!

But I think that its pretty common that when OC's or DC's get hired away they take a lot of their support guys with them.. 

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

1 minute ago, CanadianCat said:

Im married too, i get what your saying, ha!

But I think that its pretty common that when OC's or DC's get hired away they take a lot of their support guys with them.. 

That a perfect wife thing to do. Burst my bubble. Happy frigging Holidays to you. lol

That is true. But if you want to stay, you can stay. 

Well, how about making it so there are multiple ASSTs to the OC. He can't take everyone dang it.