• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Is Mcadoo developing Darnold??

WOW!!

30 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

He's a 5th year QB who still requires training wheels to make an offense work. If you want to call that developing, go for it. I mean, I guess it is. He's developing into a career backup. Because this is how you want a backup QB to operate.

I really, really would love for you to elaborate on how we're playing with training wheels. Be it Sam Darnold or Matt Corral we're a run team. i fail to see how having Sam play in structure and hoping he continues to trend upwards is a bad thing. So maybe you're seeing something I'm not. 

Like this is coming from a guy who was on the tank train as much as you, but that train missed its stop. So we have to start looking on what we have and how we can get better at that, not bemoaning our situation.

Edited by Rags
  • Pie 5
  • Beer 1

3 minutes ago, Ghostface Chilla said:

I think of Sam can get that dog in him, he would turn a corner towards being a legit top QB. He’s such a laid back guy most of the time. He needs that f you, pay me attitude. lol!

He’s shown lately that he’s got all the physical tools to be a legit QB in the league. It’s amazing how much a good running game and a great OL can do for a QB. Who knew?

• Pie 5

2 hours ago, LinvilleGorge said:

No. He's running an offense that basically heavily de-emphasizes the QB position. 43 runs vs. 22 passes. Darnold has thrown less than 25 pass attempts in each of his starts in the post-Rhule era. He's doing a good job managing the game with what he's asked to do but the game plan revolves around asking him to do little.

This is true but Darnold has improved on not making crippling mistakes. He’s elevated himself to quality backup and maybe bridge starter with his performances. If he wins another 2 games in a row and puts up a fight against the Cowboys in the playoffs he definitely deserves to be back next season. 

• Pie 3

1 hour ago, Donald LaFell said:

All QBs look incredible with the run game clicking like it has. It’s good for his development but he still has a long way to go to redeem himself as a dependable starter. 

This^^^ Sam threw for 250 yards today when the Panthers ran for over 300, which honestly, that's impressive. Sam looked good today for sure. But, Sam has always struggled when the pressure is high and he is needed to carry the offense. He's never been able to handle high pressure moments mentally it seems. He gets rattled pretty easily. These last two games will really say a lot about where Darnold is as the pressure will be as high as it gets. No way Tampa lets the Panthers rush for over 300 yards. There's going to be times when Sam is going to have to step up and make big time throws in crucial moments and finish drives. If Sam plays well and the Panthers win these last two games, then plays well in a playoff game, then maybe, just MAYBE Sam Darnold is starting to figure it out... he is still young. We're all about to find out. Personally, I'm rooting for the kid (of course). 

Edited by Dragoon11
  • Pie 3
  • Beer 1

11 minutes ago, Dragoon11 said:

This^^^ Sam threw for 250 yards today when the Panthers ran for over 300, which honestly, that's impressive. Sam looked good today for sure. But, Sam has always struggled when the pressure is high and he is needed to carry the offense. He's never been able to handle high pressure moments mentally it seems. He gets rattled pretty easily. These last two games will really say a lot about where Darnold is as the pressure will be as high as it gets. No way Tampa lets the Panthers rush for over 300 yards. There's going to be times when Sam is going to have to step up and make big time throws in crucial moments and finish drives. If Sam plays well and the Panthers win these last two games, then plays well in a playoff game, then maybe, just MAYBE Sam Darnold is starting to figure it out... he is still young. We're all about to find out. Personally, I'm rooting for the kid (of course). 

If Sam leads us to the playoffs and, gasp, wins a game, he’s our starting QB next year. fug it he’s played as well as a QB in his position can play since he took over.

• Pie 5

15 minutes ago, hepcat said:

This is true but Darnold has improved on not making crippling mistakes. He’s elevated himself to quality backup and maybe bridge starter with his performances. If he wins another 2 games in a row and puts up a fight against the Cowboys in the playoffs he definitely deserves to be back next season. 

The time Sam had this year to sit and watch Baker and PJ was a time that Sam appears to have used to learn. The Sam we saw the last two games was the Sam we were hoping to get in the trade for him. He has been more of a game manager, but he also made some big throws today on target. He has not forced any passes and appears to have learned when to get rid of the ball. If Sam plays well the last two games some tough decisions will have to be made before next season. 

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

1 hour ago, LinvilleGorge said:

He's a 5th year QB who still requires training wheels to make an offense work. If you want to call that developing, go for it. I mean, I guess it is. He's developing into a career backup. Because this is how you want a backup QB to operate.

Geno Smith??

1 hour ago, LinvilleGorge said:

What were today's training wheels?  Agree we didn't ask him to look when the field at all when he first came back but legit not sure what those training wheels are now. He's just in a QB friendly offense atm.  It's fair to say he isn't being asked to carry the team yet but that's different than training wheels (limited playbook, limiting reads to half the field, etc)

• Pie 2