• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Harbaugh to Carolina Makes Too Much Sense...

chknwing

2 hours ago, 45catfan said:

Yes and Tepper got burned with a large contract last time too.  The things I've been hearing/reading about Denver is they are going to VERY aggressive and will get their guy.  Money is no object.  So it's a matter of how big will Tepper go in order to not get outbid.  Again, if Harbaugh is their guy, Tepper is going to have to counter offer...probably more than once.  While other factors are baked into the deal, amount, incentives and duration all come into play. Personnel matters, while important, are secondary to the money aspect.

The money aspect is important, but all the owners can match any contract if they so choose. No one's likely going to pay Harbaugh 100 mil, but if they do, they certainly won't get to 200 mil (unless they're nuts). That being said, any owner can win Harbaugh's services. It's going to take more than just money.

IMO, I don't think this will be a "bidding war" in the sense that whoever offers the largest contract will land Harbaugh. I believe Harbaugh is hoping this will be his last move and he'll be looking for the right situation rather than the biggest bag. He's been at UM for the past 8 years, I'm assuming he hopes to be at his next stop at least that long, and I can't see him coaching past 70 or so.

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

Full control will be a big deal but lets say they can get past that. I have concerns with the rumors of him losing the team is last season ( or two? ) in SF. Being the hardass coach works while you can win but when the wheels fall off they really fall off. It is a risk. I don't know how true that stuff was or if it was just team fed media stuff to make them look better. That was an ugly breakup. 

1 hour ago, top dawg said:

The money aspect is important, but all the owners can match any contract if they so choose. No one's likely going to pay Harbaugh 100 mil, but if they do, they certainly won't get to 200 mil (unless they're nuts). That being said, any owner can win Harbaugh's services. It's going to take more than just money.

Yeah i'm not worried about this.  There's a long lasting, unspoken gentleman's agreement among owners to artificially cap coaching pay because otherwise you end up with Belichick and Reid and others making pro-bowl player level salaries; it's a small club and they know not to piss the other 31 off

5 hours ago, Ricky Spanish said:

I honestly don't want him.

Yes he was an NFL coach for a period of time, but he has been in college for a good bit now, and with that comes the megalomania of being a college coach.

I don't want that personality around this team anymore. 

I think he'd want too much control and I don't trust him. He is constantly leveraging against Michigan to get more money out of them. It's the same slimey stuff that Rhule did. 

No thanks.

I'll let Dave Tepper know 

• Flames 1

6 hours ago, cookinbrak said:

Harbaugh would have gone for it on 4th and a foot.

Not in his own territory up 14-0. NFL coaches don't do that. I have seen him punt it this year in college down to Ohio State on 4th and short. But you can't post don't hire Wilks every time you post huh?

• Beer 1

11 minutes ago, NorthTryon said:

Not in his own territory up 14-0. NFL coaches don't do that. I have seen him punt it this year in college down to Ohio State on 4th and short. But you can't post don't hire Wilks every time you post huh?

the first time we were on about our own 45. on the road. against the GOAT. with playoffs on the line. dont be a pussy. Wilks does not coach in game. 

• Poo 1

12 minutes ago, ericr0319 said:

the first time we were on about our own 45. on the road. against the GOAT. with playoffs on the line. dont be a pussy. Wilks does not coach in game. 

Prepare to use the female genitalia to reference every NFL and college coach, because nobody goes for it up 14-0. It doesn't matter who is on the other sideline. This isn't Madden or whatever NFL simulation you are using in your mind. 

• Pie 1

5 minutes ago, NorthTryon said:

Prepare to use the female genitalia to reference every NFL and college coach, because nobody goes for it up 14-0. It doesn't matter who is on the other sideline. This isn't Madden or whatever NFL simulation you are using in your mind. 

you're incorrect, especially if you want to reference college. and it was 7-0. 

3 hours ago, Mr. Scot said:

Lousy in general. Demanding, never happy, unreasonable, etc.

As far as Rhule, the behind the scenes articles have indicated that relationship fractured before the first season was even fully over.

In Tepper's defense, what has he had to be happy about? And, the bottom line is, he gave Rhule more time than he would have received elsewhere. If anything, he was too patient.

I don't think any coach going to an open job is going to have a perfect scenario. Of the current open jobs, Carolina probably gives a new coach the best combination of talent and draft picks to work with. 

• Pie 1