• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Coaching interview updates

Mr. Scot

I think Tepper is a league wide joke. He got played by watson’s people, Stafford laughed in his face and then went to LA, and he gave one of the most absurd coaching contracts in history to Rhule. I’m sure loomis and Payton are sitting around laughing at him. He’ll make a ridiculous offer which will promptly be used as leverage to get Houston and/or Denver to up the ante. 

• Pie 2
  • Beer 2
  • Poo 9

3 minutes ago, BIGH2001 said:

I think Tepper is a league wide joke. He got played by watson’s people, Stafford laughed in his face and then went to LA, and he gave one of the most absurd coaching contracts in history to Rhule. I’m sure loomis and Payton are sitting around laughing at him. He’ll make a ridiculous offer which will promptly be used as leverage to get Houston and/or Denver to up the ante. 

I agree he isn’t very good at this, but from my understanding Watson would have been a panther but Tepper is the one who said no bc he wanted a guaranteed contract. 

• Pie 2
  • Beer 2

1 hour ago, BIGH2001 said:

Wow that is some serious conjecture. Tepper isn’t a joke, quite the contrary. He is however learning on the job. Rhule did fleece Tepper, but Stafford made the right decision for Stafford and it wasn’t disrespectful. I’m thankful everyday we did not land Watson. I think the Panthers have a chance with Payton, but in the end it comes down to where Payton wants to go. Inside word is that the broncos did not even discuss compensation during their interview, let’s see if Tepper can make the right pitch about the organization, community, and where the team wants to go. Otherwise, it is back to another rookie head coach and another 2-3 year learning curve.

• Pie 3
  • Beer 2

But in the case of Watson and Stafford's contracts, it may be a good thing he was played.  As outsiders, we do not know who walked away--if you are in on every deal, you might get played once in a while.  Part of it.

• Beer 1

7 hours ago, Bigdaddy8523 said:

Hire Wilks and get this show on the road. Find the best offensive coordinator and QB coach, Draft a QB and DE, find a free agent TE and maybe a corner or 2.

Why is nobody else interviewing Wilks? And don't tell me it's because they all know he's a Charlotte boy and won't accept a job elsewhere.

5 minutes ago, OldhamA said:

Why is nobody else interviewing Wilks? And don't tell me it's because they all know he's a Charlotte boy and won't accept a job elsewhere.

Because just like us, he is a safe hire, that more than likely will not excite their fan base. I believe Wilks can be very successful, but not exciting. The goal for the panthers is not just winning, but get the fans back in the stadium. Management may think the only way to do that is a big hire. This is as much about selling PSL’s as it is about securing wins.

Edited by philit99

Honestly, this is how it seems. When you have a guy waiting in the wings as the league's hand picked next owner everyone else just don't even bother bidding because we're gonna force the sell to this guy anyway, it ain't because they think that guy is gonna build a dynasty and kick their asses. Just sayin'.

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1
  • Flames 1

19 minutes ago, MHS831 said:

But in the case of Watson and Stafford's contracts, it may be a good thing he was played.  As outsiders, we do not know who walked away--if you are in on every deal, you might get played once in a while.  Part of it.

I’m glad we didn’t get Watson either. The two year pursuit was more what I was alluding to. It made us look stupid and desperate.

• Pie 1
  • Flames 1

2 hours ago, The Lobo said:

I agree he isn’t very good at this, but from my understanding Watson would have been a panther but Tepper is the one who said no bc he wanted a guaranteed contract. 

I was very surprised and relieved that Tepper did not give him that contract.

• Pie 3
  • Beer 3

starting to feel like they get stuck holding the bag, they need to start dialing in on Steichen.

if they get stuck with anyone else it’s gonna suck all the wind out of the sails

not that there was much of that left anyways

Edited by Growl
  • Beer 1

1 hour ago, philit99 said:

Wow that is some serious conjecture. Tepper isn’t a joke, quite the contrary. He is however learning on the job. Rhule did fleece Tepper, but Stafford made the right decision for Stafford and it wasn’t disrespectful. I’m thankful everyday we did not land Watson. I think the Panthers have a chance with Payton, but in the end it comes down to where Payton wants to go. Inside word is that the broncos did not even discuss compensation during their interview, let’s see if Tepper can make the right pitch about the organization, community, and where the team wants to go. Otherwise, it is back to another rookie head coach and another 2-3 year learning curve.

You are correct, there are only three within the pool of available coaches that wouldn’t have the 2 to 3 year learning curve. Those three coaches being Sean Payton, Steve Wilks  and Frank Reich. I can imagine that there is some sort of apprehension behind any consideration of an offer for any coach that would need to grow into the role of head coach.

Edited by Monrowed
  • Pie 1

8 minutes ago, Growl said:

starting to feel like they get stuck holding the bag, they need to start dialing in in Steichen.

if they get stuck with anyone else it’s gonna suck all the wind out of the sails

not that there was much of that left anyways

Why is it starting to feel like that?  Has any other team looking for a head coach hired one yet?  I'm glad they are taking their time and "hoping" to get it right this time.  The only people off the table right now are coaches that took themselves off the table for all teams