• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Coaching interview updates

Mr. Scot

25 minutes ago, PantherMan89 said:

Mayo interview still expected to happen. 

I like Jerod Mayo.  I want an offensive-minded guy, but I would be okay with him.  He's young, he is a former player who played middle linebacker (thus responsible for setting the defense) in a complex scheme/system, and has spent the last 3-4 years as a coach.

Would he be in my top 3 most wanted?  Nah.  But I'd be willing to give it a chance.  Former players (who have spent time as an assistant coach in the NFL, so not Jeff Saturday) have done pretty well so far.  Mike Vrabel, Dan Campbell, Zac Taylor, O'Connell, plus a whole bunch of coordinators on the come up.  I think there is a benefit to a head coach who recently played the game.  They can relate to players differently.  Obviously more goes into it than that, but it is important.  

• Pie 2

I don’t think I want anyone from the Bill Belichick tree. Ryan seems like the best option for the defensive guys, but if you are going that route it will be hard to pass up Wilks. I still think we are getting an offensive guy. Veteran options Reich or Caldwell and upcoming new options Johnson and Eagles OC. 

• Pie 2

16 hours ago, Mr. Scot said:

From what I understand, Mayo does the job of a defensive coordinator. He just doesn't have the title. 

Belichick is kind of a dickhead about these things.

I just read  where he interviewed for Clevelands  Defensive  Coordinator  job, so I'm guessing that's why New England gave more money.   Beli definitely runs  things away from the norm. 

17 minutes ago, Lurk21 said:

I just read  where he interviewed for Clevelands  Defensive  Coordinator  job, so I'm guessing that's why New England gave more money.   Beli definitely runs  things away from the norm. 

For whatever reason, It doesn't seem to want to give him the defensive coordinator title.

It basically means that he can interview for DC jobs elsewhere even though he's technically already doing the job.

Kinda dumb, but yeah. Belichick is his own person.

(even when that person might be stupid)

• Pie 1

On 1/9/2023 at 11:34 AM, Mage said:

You do realize Wilks has basically worked under Ron his whole career, right?  The only three years he hasn't were with the Cardinals as HC (fired after one season), Browns as DC (fired after one season), and this year under Rhule.

What in the world would make you think Wilks has the connections or influence to get a good play-caller here?

Spoiler alert: he doesn't

Bringing Wilks back is such an obvious waste of time and acceptance of mediocrity that it blows my mind he has the support that he does.  We just finished a game with like 32 passing yards and 10 points scored.  We just choked away a 21-10 lead to a bad Bucs team and let their offense go off on season-highs against us.  But sure, lets bring him back as HC LMAO

Knowing damn well if that was Rhule coaching those games people would be livid.  

First off, you don't know that man's connections so stop being dismissive like you do! We have explicitly laid out the reasoning behind him deserving a second chance after Arizona. Let me refresh you, they already hired his OC and they wouldn't draft the now All Pro QB he wanted. His stint in Cleveland was tied to Freddie Kitchens, the Ben McAdoo of the AFC and their QB, you named Baker Mayfield! But you don't care about those things because you are hyped up in the new OC minded HC wave that has produced one count it one championship run, only after one of the greatest defensive players to ever play(Von Miller) was acquired midseason to shore up a porous defense. And now that coach may call it quits, letting his coaches seek other opportunities because he doesn't want to rebuild.

As far as addressing anything regarding the last few games, he is operating with Rhule's roster full of misfit toys with a few holdovers. He almost got the team in the playoffs after losing McCaffrey, having a skeleton crew of coaching staff, and multiple injuries. The team was down two, count them two starting cornerbacks against Tampa and Tampa just got their offensive tackles healthy since the first of the season. Darnold started turning the ball over and the back up CBs seriously quit running on the two long touchdown passes. Do you honestly think they were coached to look in the backfield and stop running when they thought the rush had gotten there? If you do, wow LMAO. Hard to crap on the scheme when you are literally signing baristas during the week. Again, Darnold, Henderson, these are players Rhule traded assets to acquire. Wilks argued with Rhule and Snow about personnel, it is documented. So lets talk out of our ass on a message board about things you don't know and make definitive statements LMAO, knowing damn well if these issues happened with a McVay or a Shanahan you would be chomping at the bit to make excuses and concessions. 

Sorry it took so long to get back to ya😉

• Flames 1