• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

M Kaye Observer HC candidates pros and cons

raleigh-panther

9 minutes ago, t96 said:

The thing I like most about Steichen is how well he's developed two young QBs with very very different play styles and skillsets in Herbert and Hurts.

He also improved Rivers compared to years before...... Again if its truly a "QB" league, hes been apart of three studs......ALLL downgraded without his guidance. herbo had the best rookie season in NFL history, took two steps back without.....hurts looks like a strong MVP option, without philly was talking about drafting one this past draft...rivers looked done, improved once steichen became QB coach. 

Unless something is waaaaaaaaaaaaayyyyy off about who he wants to hire for defense and/or wants to fire tabor as well....... tepper needs to nearly blank check him. It would wask the rhule stink off... 

Edited by Basbear

5 hours ago, KatsAzz said:

The Panthers defense was their strong suit this season. The stats don't necessarily reflect it, but a struggling offense often times forced them to be on the field a great deal longer than one would expect with an even middling offense.

I was thinking this was off because of our running prowess, but you’re right, we had the lowest time of possession per game in the league. 

11 hours ago, rippadonn said:

Nah. Sadly my 12 year old son. My only child passed away December 15 :-(.

I had to step away for a while, obviously. Thanks for thinking about me.

I love you guys. Don't know how long me or my wife have left either.

Very sorry to hear. My condolences, dude.

12 hours ago, KatsAzz said:

Young coordinators like Steichen can sometimes be miscast as Head Coaches. There’s always a risk that a hotshot Coordinator like him is a better fit for the play-calling job instead of the Head Coach position.

That’s my concern with OCs that come out of no where, but you won’t know until you try I guess.

• Pie 1

On 1/10/2023 at 5:02 PM, Tr3ach said:

Since he took over this year our defense had the biggest second half drop off in the nfl I believe.

People keep saying that. I heard he, prior to becoming interim coach, criticized the D that Snow built as being too light to win in the NFL.  
Looking at it I agree.  

• Pie 1

11 minutes ago, stratocatter said:

People keep saying that. I heard he, prior to becoming interim coach, criticized the D that Snow built as being too light to win in the NFL.  
Looking at it I agree.  

You're ignoring the point though.  Whatever its problems were, it was the exact same roster that snow had when the defense was performing much better.  The fact that they adjusted the defense to a basic defense relying on the front 4 to get pressure instead of scheming for the strength/weakness of our defensive roster is a clear negative to the coaching candidates,  not a positive.   Especially when you are considered almost entirely a defensive coach.

Edited by Tr3ach
  • Pie 1

I totally ignored your point, yes. It is not a good point and should be ignored. Or maybe the valid sensible point is in there somewhere but you are missing it. 
Here, I will help you. 

Wilks did not assemble the roster. In fact he was said to have criticized it -to Snow- as being too light to win in the NFL. I am pretty sure I read that here.

But you decide that if Wilks and not Snow is to blame, that it will be the key piece of evidence of Wilks not being qualified that seals the deal, ends the argument, mic drop.  And you are going to bring it in here and be seen as one of the smart crowd. Is that close? You’ll show those Wilkstards . 

If I have it right, the takeaway from people blaming Wilks for the D falling off is: Wilks head coached a D that Snow and Rhule constructed and it is Wilks’ fault they were poor at run stopping and poor at holding the edge, and the secondary (his specialty) fuged up assignments constantly, and and and. 
 Because Wilks is conservative D coach and we want a McVey clone? Can’t get a McVey if Wilks is in the way so let’s take him down? 

How I feel about it?  

I am not worshipping Wilks as the only solution. Or a sure fire solution because nothing is. I definitely have a high opinion of him as a man of integrity and no BS. And a bona fide NFL guy.
But he blitzed more than I wanted when running the D in 17 I guess it was. There were issues this year with the game management and a couple of the game plans. 
I haven’t seen what he would do about OC and the direction of the offense and team in general. So not ending the search without seeing what is out there  

To the conservative defense objections, they’re not hiring him for DC in the first place. We are hiring him (possibly) as HC to lead, to identify and retain. Players and coaches. To place coaching talent in the right job. To captain the ship. This is stuff he has shown he can do reasonably well I think. 

There are undoubtedly people who could beat him out on merit, x and o chops and there always will be. Most of them have not done the job they will come seeking.

Most look great, on paper. And we know just from how things work in this world that some of them will be good, they can make the jump.  Most, probably, will be failures because they can’t use their x and o skill for solving every problem and that is all they have at this point in their careers, 

Last thing about this coaching vacancy: when I have been faced with losing a key contributor in my job, I learned to look at it as an opportunity to improve rather than a hole to try and fill (and a tough hole at that). I want to turn it from a setback into an opportunity. So I am definitely not opposed to shooting for the moon.

That still means, known quantities with known qualities. Not extrapolating untried promise to a hopeful conclusion, but expanding in the ‘known for a fact to be good’ direction. Whether that is Wilks or another ‘known’, that is what I think we need. 

Tepper just does not need to follow one speculative blunder with a second.  He can check a lot of boxes with a Wilks hire for maybe a three year rollover type contract dependent on results. 

Edited by stratocatter
  • Pie 1

On 1/10/2023 at 8:47 PM, rippadonn said:

Very sorry for your loss

• Pie 1

On 1/10/2023 at 8:47 PM, rippadonn said:

Cracking Up Lol GIF by HULU

OMG I am so sorry. Can't imagine anything worse.

• Pie 1