• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Trey Lance?

tukafan21

On 1/15/2023 at 10:13 PM, top dawg said:

I disagree about Lance looking "abysmal." I think that's way over the top. Lance was way more raw, younger, and simply less experienced than most QBs when he entered the NFL. And yet, one of the brightest minds in the game gave up a king's ransom to acquire him. That's because he sees a lot of potential---maybe unmatched potential in the kid. And, just like Corral, Lance really hasn't had hardly any opportunity to show what he has. What, a couple of regular season games? Are y'all kidding me? Seriously? 

All that being said, the 49ers will never get the compensation back that they spent to acquire him (nor should they) if they put him on the trade block. If they decide to trade him, it will be more about Brock Purdy's surprising---some might even say sensational--ascension than Lance being or "trending towards being" a bust. Shanahan has supported Lance consistently and completely, and has honestly refuted any unsubstantiated rumors about Lance being unfit for the job. As far as that goes, I think that he still believes in him, but he likely believes in Purdy now also.

So, if they decide to trade Lance, it will not be about Lance being a bust, but for any suitors it will be about the compensation. Just like any young QB with upside, if you can get Lance for a relative song and dance---basically at a value, then you should probably do that. The Devil is in the details. 

My biggest take on this is how those that support Lance and his performance, whether you believe like I do it was Abysmal or as you say just too raw.  Those that support him are the same ones that trash Corral.  

Lance has some halo around him and gets a pass for his injury but Corral injury is chronic and he is made of glass.  Lance gets a pass for having more rushing yards than passing yards with BS excuses like he played in a Monsoon when the weather was 69 degrees with 15mph winds hardly a monsoon.  But Corral is a bust and wasted pick because he looked bad in his first preseason game and mediocre in his 2nd preseason game before coming out with an injury.  

Lance gets a pass after spending the entire preseason working with the first and second string offenses to be prepared for the starting gig while Corral got scraps from a coach that had zero interest in trying to develop him as a QB. 

What it boils down to is those that trash Corral are the ones that believe we have to have a first round QB.  It doesn't matter whether he's any good or not.  He just has to be a first rounder. There are 3 or 4 teams ahead of us that most likely will take Stroud and Young and probably Levis.  It's ludicrous to want to waste a pick on a QB just to say we have our 1st round QB.   

This offseason evaluation period on QBs has to include Corral's abilities as well as those we are considering in the draft.   I don't think any of the QBs in this draft scream FRANCHISE QB.  If we draft one than we better believe he is.  The Lance lovers and protectors will scream Corral isn't in the same class.  I say BS. 

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1
  • Poo 1

1 minute ago, DaveThePanther2008 said:

My biggest take on this is how those that support Lance and his performance, whether you believe like I do it was Abysmal or as you say just too raw.  Those that support him are the same ones that trash Corral.  

Lance has some halo around him and gets a pass for his injury but Corral injury is chronic and he is made of glass.  Lance gets a pass for having more rushing yards than passing yards with BS excuses like he played in a Monsoon when the weather was 69 degrees with 15mph winds hardly a monsoon.  But Corral is a bust and wasted pick because he looked bad in his first preseason game and mediocre in his 2nd preseason game before coming out with an injury.  

Lance gets a pass after spending the entire preseason working with the first and second string offenses to be prepared for the starting gig while Corral got scraps from a coach that had zero interest in trying to develop him as a QB. 

What it boils down to is those that trash Corral are the ones that believe we have to have a first round QB.  It doesn't matter whether he's any good or not.  He just has to be a first rounder. There are 3 or 4 teams ahead of us that most likely will take Stroud and Young and probably Levis.  It's ludicrous to want to waste a pick on a QB just to say we have our 1st round QB.   

This offseason evaluation period on QBs has to include Corral's abilities as well as those we are considering in the draft.   I don't think any of the QBs in this draft scream FRANCHISE QB.  If we draft one than we better believe he is.  The Lance lovers and protectors will scream Corral isn't in the same class.  I say BS. 

This seems ironic.  You have referred to Lance as a bust and are high on Corral??  Maybe you should practice what you preach.

I haven't seen many posters declare Corral (a 3rd round pick) a bust.  I have seen them state the odds are against him at getting significant playing time in Carolina with a new HC coming in a Corral being on IR last year with little capital invested in him.  

• Pie 3

1 minute ago, ForJimmy said:

This seems ironic.  You have referred to Lance as a bust and are high on Corral??  Maybe you should practice what you preach.

I haven't seen many posters declare Corral (a 3rd round pick) a bust.  I have seen them state the odds are against him at getting significant playing time in Carolina with a new HC coming in a Corral being on IR last year with little capital invested in him.  

Lance has has far more opportunities to succeed than Corral and from what I saw, rain, shine, snow or whatever, he look terrible. Playing scared and running like he was in college again.  There was little poise and pocket awareness.  His throws were PJ Walkeresk. There wasn't one thing other than his ability to run that would scream he'll succeed in this league.  I said a couple months ago bust but I've come around to trending towards being a bust.  I'll gladly eat crow if I am wrong but I doubt I will be.

I'm not high on Corral, I just get irritated at those that give him zero chance.  I believe he's as good as any of these kids coming out of the draft this year. You can argue one or two might be a bit better but not by much.  Stroud can play but as many OSU QBs have proven, it's the system and not the QB.  His question marks are as much a concern as any issue with Corral.  Young size is a concern and he seem to be far more fragile than RGIII was.  And we saw how that derailed his career. 

Little capital?  We traded away our 2023 3rd pick and our 4th round pick in 2022 so we could get him.  If we weren't so sure about him why would trade away picks to get him.  You discount a 3rd round pick as some late round pick.  3rd round picks are potential starters.   So let's not play it off as some pick we couldn't have used elsewhere.  

I've said all along that whoever we hire as a coach and whoever is in our QB room. Corral will be given an opportunity to win the job.  Most of the Corral haters and "WE GOTTA HAVE A FIRST ROUND QB" fans give him zero chance.  

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1
  • Poo 2

9 minutes ago, DaveThePanther2008 said:

Lance has has far more opportunities to succeed than Corral and from what I saw, rain, shine, snow or whatever, he look terrible. Playing scared and running like he was in college again.  There was little poise and pocket awareness.  His throws were PJ Walkeresk. There wasn't one thing other than his ability to run that would scream he'll succeed in this league.  I said a couple months ago bust but I've come around to trending towards being a bust.  I'll gladly eat crow if I am wrong but I doubt I will be.

I'm not high on Corral, I just get irritated at those that give him zero chance.  I believe he's as good as any of these kids coming out of the draft this year. You can argue one or two might be a bit better but not by much.  Stroud can play but as many OSU QBs have proven, it's the system and not the QB.  His question marks are as much a concern as any issue with Corral.  Young size is a concern and he seem to be far more fragile than RGIII was.  And we saw how that derailed his career. 

Little capital?  We traded away our 2023 3rd pick and our 4th round pick in 2022 so we could get him.  If we weren't so sure about him why would trade away picks to get him.  You discount a 3rd round pick as some late round pick.  3rd round picks are potential starters.   So let's not play it off as some pick we couldn't have used elsewhere.  

I've said all along that whoever we hire as a coach and whoever is in our QB room. Corral will be given an opportunity to win the job.  Most of the Corral haters and "WE GOTTA HAVE A FIRST ROUND QB" fans give him zero chance.  

Yes little capital.  It was the 137th pick and a future 3rd to move up to 94 to acquire him.  Considering the positional value of QBs in the league that is very little draft capital.  Third round QBs are not "traditional" starters.

https://www.yardbarker.com/nfl/articles/every_nfl_qb_picked_in_third_round_of_the_draft_in_the_21st_century/s1__37565457#slide_3

There is a list of recent 3rd round QBs.  Mills started (but apparently should not have as they are correcting their mistakes and drafting one in the first), Brisset is a journeyman bridge QB, and Russ Wilson is the exception to the rule.  None of the other ones amounted to much...

4 hours ago, DaveThePanther2008 said:

lol, just the best

you literally killed him a bust after one game

He is a talented kid that got overdrafted.  I would take a shot at him, but I wouldn't just hand him the keys to the city.  One key is that an offense will need to be built around him.  I wouldn't force him into a scheme that doesn't cater to his strengths and keeps him away from his weaknesses.  He is not accurate enough to run a precision passing game where timing and ball placement is king. He needs to be in an offense that allows him to go off schedule and take big shots for chunk plays.