• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Roman Harper thinks Sean Payton could be our next HC now

ncfan

9 minutes ago, thennek said:

Why would the Saints allow their 'ex-admired, Super Bowl coach' go to a division rival?  

Normally you wouldn't. But as someone pointed out, the Saints would hate to see him sit out until their rights to his services expire and they get no compensation from him. If Payton goes to the Panthers in the 2023,  the draft choice(s) they'd receive would offset to some degree his decision to coach a division rival. And let's be honest. The Saints need a QB. A first rounder in 2023 or 2024, or a package of lower picks could be used to acquire a young QB to lead the team in the foreseeable future.

1 hour ago, ncfan said:

Nick Hill who covers the Saints who has been beating the it’ll take a top pick this year etc.

On a podcast yesterday 

“I think it’ll be a future first and a 2nd this year, or 3 3rds”

2:18 mark

It won’t be that, the other piece to note is that this is for contract rights. Therefore, compensation can also be cash. We don’t have to give up just draft picks. We could give up a single pick and 10 million in cash to confirm the deal.

3 minutes ago, trueblade said:

You're being facetious, right? The guy's arm looked fine on those bombs to Evans in our game and he just had 60+ attempts in their playoff game. Physically, he looks like he can still do it. It's all about if he wants to mentally.

Probably not as bad as Sam in the grand scheme of things no, don’t want. He’s not elite anymore. He’s thrown some of the worst interceptions I’ve ever seen the past couple of seasons, especially this year. 

There is zero reason for us to sign him instead of looking for a younger guy. He can no longer carry a team to a title. And although our roster isn’t bad, it’s not going to be a title contender next season. 

• Beer 1

28 minutes ago, thennek said:

Why would the Saints allow their 'ex-admired, Super Bowl coach' go to a division rival?  

The reality is they don't have much of a choice if that's where Payton wants to go. It's ultimately going to be up to SP, then it's just a matter of getting the trade worked out. If Aints wanna play hardball, the Panthers and SP can easily wait. SP stays in broadcasting for a year, Tepper just gives Wilks 1 year then you come back and get SP next season. Tepper has reportedly been interested in SP ever since he left the Aints. But also it benefits the Aints to just get the deal done now so I doubt they'd want to play hardball. Every year that goes by they lose leverage and trade compensation.

12 minutes ago, Castavar said:

I feel like this is all just a ploy to make us miss out on other head coaches and Payton zooms right back to the Saints. Seems like something he would do. Get insight on what we are trying to do, make us wait while other head coaches get snatched up, then go back to New Orleans leaving us fugged. Tepper would the one to fall for some sh*t like that.

I kinda think the same thing. That or he’s using Tepper to get more from Denver.

If he doesn’t come here, you know everything they discussed in the interview will go straight to Loomis.

39 minutes ago, thennek said:

In one of the other threads, someone insinuated Payton didn't along with the son who inherited the team and wanted out. Could be nothing more than a Huddle rumor.

21 minutes ago, SCO96 said:

Normally you wouldn't. But as someone pointed out, the Saints would hate to see him sit out until their rights to his services expire and they get no compensation from him. If Payton goes to the Panthers in the 2023,  the draft choice(s) they'd receive would offset to some degree his decision to coach a division rival. And let's be honest. The Saints need a QB. A first rounder in 2023 or 2024, or a package of lower picks could be used to acquire a young QB to lead the team in the foreseeable future.

I get that the Saints get compensation in draft picks, but would it not be better for them to get those draft picks from another team not in the NFC South (IE - Denver, Houston, Indy)?  It would be like the Panthers trading CMC to the Saints and have to face him twice per year/every year.  

For the Panthers, this team still needs a lot:  QB, DE, DT, TE, WR, depth and etc....do not see how they build a team without the picks they are supposedly giving for Payton.  I sure hope this is a smokescreen, and Tepper is not doing this.  I am fine with Payton the coach, but I do not think he is worth what it will cost to get him.  

6 minutes ago, Day1PanthersFan said:

Why are people still talking about Payton, he is 100% not going to be our next Head Coach,its either going to be Wilks or another coordinator from a successful team 

A successful superbowl winning coach is a pipe dream at this point, we don't have the players or draft picks to attract one

yeah he’s definitely waiting for a great team with a great record to fire their coach 

• Pie 1

1 hour ago, Castavar said:

I feel like this is all just a ploy to make us miss out on other head coaches and Payton zooms right back to the Saints. Seems like something he would do. Get insight on what we are trying to do, make us wait while other head coaches get snatched up, then go back to New Orleans leaving us fugged. Tepper would the one to fall for some sh*t like that.

I was trying to figure out how he could screw us over yesterday with this, but hadn't fully fleshed it out, but it looks like you did...  until we have him officially hired, I don't trust him one bit.  I always felt he had a deep-seated hatred for us that was personal...  so until the ink is dry, and even then, I would still need a month or two to believe it, I am very suspicious of all of this.

I also mentioned in another thread yesterday that local radio here in Raleigh was talking about it and said Tepper essentially has the reputation of being a mark around the league.  And your theory here would fall into that description perfectly.  I also mentioned how that reputation was well-earned after he essentially outbid himself for Rhule bc he was scared the Giants were going to get him, then the Rhule took the offer back to the Giants to match and they rejected him, and then Tepper essentially doing the same in directing them to go get Darnold.  I really hope he doesn't embarrass us again...

• Pie 1

43 minutes ago, Castavar said:

On second thought though...  unless he's a tremendous actor, Payton sounded pretty detached from NO and Loomis in that Cowherd interview.  I expected more "well, he's a friend" type stuff, but he seemed very removed from Loomis and the Saints, and only spoke about him in a professional sense.  So, maybe it's not a ploy?

1 minute ago, Proudiddy said:

On second thought though...  unless he's a tremendous actor, Payton sounded pretty detached from NO and Loomis in that Cowherd interview.  I expected more "well, he's a friend" type stuff, but he seemed very removed from Loomis and the Saints, and only spoke about him in a professional sense.  So, maybe it's not a ploy?

Always Sunny Reaction GIF

That's what they want you to think.

• Pie 2
  • The D 1