• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Report: Russell Wilson has contacted Sean Payton, wants him as Broncos coach

WarPanthers89

Article:

Broncos quarterback Russell Wilson would apparently like to ride with Sean Payton as his next head coach.

That’s at least according to Colin Cowherd of FOX Sports who said during Thursday’s episode of The Heard that Wilson has reached out to Payton to make his feelings known.

“Russell Wilson has contacted Sean — legally, by the way, through channels,” Cowherd said. “He wants Sean Payton. He needs fixing. He knows he needs fixing.”

Cowherd also noted that he’s talked with his current FOX coworker Payton about the Broncos job with the understanding that many believe Wilson is “too isolated” within Denver’s building.

Wilson’s first season with the Broncos was the worst year of his career. He completed just 60.5 percent of his passes for 3,524 yards with 16 touchdowns and 11 interceptions, working out to a career-low 84.4 passer rating. Despite playing just 15 games, he led the league by taking 55 sacks.

Payton has also been connected to the Arizona, Carolina, and Houston openings at head coach.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2023/01/19/report-russell-wilson-has-contacted-sean-payton-wants-him-as-broncos-coach/

Edited by WarPanthers89

I believe "any QB" in the NFL would enjoy playing with an offensive guru like Sean Payton. I really can't blame Russell for wanting him to come to Denver. Payton is one of the guys in the league who could probably revive Wilson's career and make everyone forget about his nightmarish 2022 campaign. 

• Pie 2

It would make sense for Wilson to want him. It would make sense for the Broncos to want him. They're already all in on Russell Wilson so they're either going to win with him over the next few years or they're just not gonna be winning. Barring some mid to late round draft miracles, the Broncos are fuged for the foreseeable future if Russ can't turn it around given what they have committed to him in future draft capital and salary cap.

No surprise and also doesn’t mean much in my opinion. If SP goes to the Broncos it’s because of the $$. They’re in a worse situation than us having mortgaged their future for a QB who is absolute ass and they’re stuck with on an albatross contract. SP could certainly get more out of him than Hackett but I still don’t see them as an appealing situation to try to build a winner. But if Walmart wants him they can pay the big bucks…

Edited by t96
  • Pie 2

9 minutes ago, Day1PanthersFan said:

Denver:Superbowl Winning QB

Carolina:Sam Darnold 

Which one would bring you back into coaching , after a decade with a future HOF QB in Drew Brees 

We are not getting Payton

I don’t think he looks at it that way, maybe he looks at it like he can pick his own qb, a qb he wants. I don’t think he comes here ultimately, but Sam Darnold won’t be the reason why imo. 

• Pie 1