• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Why is mediocrity so attractive?

Ivan The Awesome

8 minutes ago, kungfoodude said:

7 seasons above .500 in 28 years of existence.

As Al Davis used to say, "Commitment to Excellence." 

Then again, he kept spouting that out when the Raiders were in the same futility club as 7 winning seasons out of 28.  But by that time his mind was on its way out the door.  In theory, we've been coherent and sane in our run.

• Pie 2
  • Beer 1

Idk if it has been mentioned yet, but mediocrity in this league means that any given year you can get hot, have a solid couple of months, boom you're in the playoffs. It also means you're going to be in games a lot and just coming up short. If you're investing time, money and emotion, do you want to go with the option that has a chance at being great but is consistently just ok, or go with the option that is risky and means you may be great, or you may be what we have been? Given what Rhule gave us recently, most fans would be cool with keeping Wilks for that purpose.

Having said that, if we're swinging for the fence, we fuging better know what we're getting. No experiments as head coaches. He better have pedigree.

3 hours ago, Ivan The Awesome said:

I've been doing some critical thinking. It seems that most fans are ready to go back to mediocrity. I include myself in this. Yes what Wilks did was nothing short of amazing. But if you really think about it. He went 6-6.  The guy before the fraud we had at HC was that. Mediocre. It's a reccuring theme it seems. Look at buffalo. Another Rivera tree product is up there and they are a playoffs team loaded with talent with a franchise QB and they.. can't.  Get. Over. The. Hump.  We're seeing it play out. Daboll left and all of a sudden the Bills aren't as good in offense. McDermott is still there but I digress. 

Honestly it's time to move on from the same thing that this team does over and over and over again and expects different outcomes. Yeah we'll be a playoffs team, sure it will be a good story to see Wilks that's from Charlotte have success but the writing is on the wall, he comes from that same tree of mediocrity. I for one am tired of that. It's time to go a different direction. No I don't want Payton. Or Dorsey. Steichen is the guy. Sirianni told him to take over and Hurts is basically an MVP candidate all of a sudden. He's the guy.  /Rant over. 

What makes Steichan the guy?

Did you ever look at the situation Steichan is in?

Do we have a Jalen Hurts at QB?

Do we have 2 #1 WR's?

Do we have a top 10 rb?

Do we have the best Oline in football?

These are the resources Steichan will not have if he takes this job in Carolina.

Sell me on Steichan please!

I think the question is how does this franchise get good enough to be a playoff team more often than not. We had flashes during the Jake/Smitty era and during the Cam/Luke era. Each with a SB run. Coaching/injuries no doubt held those eras back. A very good defense, run game, and solid oline can partially cover up for just ok QB play but to be elite we have to nail a franchise QB. The only way to do that if draft one and get super lucky they pan out. 

Edited by Wanderlai

1 hour ago, Brooklyn 3.0 said:

Now that the thread has branched out into something ... it's simple really: People don't like mediocrity "because it's safe". People don't like mediocrity period. And it has nothing to do with us being a small market team. It has nothing to do with people willing to accept what they think they deserve, though that last part has some truth to it. Some think we deserve to be a dynasty. But ...

It all boils down to a large percentage of Huddlers and Panthers fans being unable to admit to themselves that the franchise isn't good. Outside of a handful of seasons, it's never been good. Every year you have fans saying we're just a player away. Or, we're just a coach away. Or, if we draft this guy we're in the conversation. No. No we're not. We're never in the conversation. 2015 was an aberration. The Carolina Panthers are a bottom feeder NFL franchise. We're barely even "mediocre".

What I'm trying to explain here is that no one is okay with mediocrity ... because people refuse to believe we can even be mediocre. The sooner people realize that the entire franchise needs a complete reboot, the sooner you can look forward to being a yearly competitor.

Disagree.  We are mediocre.  Far from a bottom feeder.  Here's stats since 2000:

image.thumb.png.d4298c2d02fa0c01a39b518107f3affe.png

• Pie 3

1 hour ago, stbugs said:

Amazing? We had a 14-0 lead in a playoff must win game and we let them run one play 3 times in 4 drives for east TDs. For a defensive and secondary expert, that’s inexcusable as were the not going for the jugular in the first half.

The one top tier team he played wiped their ass with us. He didn’t do anything amazing, he just did better than Rhule. Rhule sucked but in 2020 we almost beat KC and GB who were both elite teams that year. Beating Cincy would have been in that amazing bucket.

I said what i said and you feel the way you feel. 

• Poo 1

3 hours ago, Ivan The Awesome said:

I've been doing some critical thinking. It seems that most fans are ready to go back to mediocrity. I include myself in this. Yes what Wilks did was nothing short of amazing. But if you really think about it. He went 6-6.  The guy before the fraud we had at HC was that. Mediocre. It's a reccuring theme it seems. Look at buffalo. Another Rivera tree product is up there and they are a playoffs team loaded with talent with a franchise QB and they.. can't.  Get. Over. The. Hump.  We're seeing it play out. Daboll left and all of a sudden the Bills aren't as good in offense. McDermott is still there but I digress. 

Honestly it's time to move on from the same thing that this team does over and over and over again and expects different outcomes. Yeah we'll be a playoffs team, sure it will be a good story to see Wilks that's from Charlotte have success but the writing is on the wall, he comes from that same tree of mediocrity. I for one am tired of that. It's time to go a different direction. No I don't want Payton. Or Dorsey. Steichen is the guy. Sirianni told him to take over and Hurts is basically an MVP candidate all of a sudden. He's the guy.  /Rant over. 

You're saying that because people saw Wilks go 6-6, we are happy with mediocrity?

What we are saying is that WILKS went 6-6 with:

1. Three different QB's

2. Seven staff fired in season

3. As an interim QB

4. With PJ Walker playing at QB

5. Without your best secondary players

6. With a Rookie Left Tackle

7. While dealing away your diva 2nd team receiver who Rhule clung to for dear life

That begs the question of WHAT COULD WILKS DO WITH A QB, HIS STAFF, and time to build out his roster? 

Furthermore, the brand of offense we ran wins games, hard. Look at the Bengal's, if they couldn't have run the ball in Buffalo that game is much, much closer. Look at Buffalo, they couldn't run the ball and they lost. Look at the 49er's, they run all over the place and win, Cowboys couldn't run. 

To win Championships, you have to be able to run to the ball. I know that's unattractive for people who'd rather be like the Bills during the regular season and just throw it all over the field then collapse in the post season because you can't run a traditional run game. Or maybe the Ravens? Hell, Philadelphia is who they are, why?

They run the ball efficiently.

• Poo 1

People can't accept that you can believe Wilks did a really good job with what he had to work with (especially when, in losing to TB 30-24, he was down to practice squad-caliber CBs) and not be in love with mediocrity.

As is with everything on here, it has to be in absolutes.

Edited by Carl Spackler
  • Pie 1

2 hours ago, Brooklyn 3.0 said:

Now that the thread has branched out into something ... it's simple really: People don't like mediocrity "because it's safe". People don't like mediocrity period. And it has nothing to do with us being a small market team. It has nothing to do with people willing to accept what they think they deserve, though that last part has some truth to it. Some think we deserve to be a dynasty. But ...

It all boils down to a large percentage of Huddlers and Panthers fans being unable to admit to themselves that the franchise isn't good. Outside of a handful of seasons, it's never been good. Every year you have fans saying we're just a player away. Or, we're just a coach away. Or, if we draft this guy we're in the conversation. No. No we're not. We're never in the conversation. 2015 was an aberration. The Carolina Panthers are a bottom feeder NFL franchise. We're barely even "mediocre".

What I'm trying to explain here is that no one is okay with mediocrity ... because people refuse to believe we can even be mediocre. The sooner people realize that the entire franchise needs a complete reboot, the sooner you can look forward to being a yearly competitor.

"The Carolina Panthers are a bottom feeder NFL franchise. We're barely even "mediocre".

I agreed until there and I fell off the track. One of the best coaches anywhere in football Mr. Jim Harbaugh had the Panthers as 1a,b if he was to leave Michigan. Like Harbaugh or not the fact that he WANTED this job above many others proves that this is a great job and a great location and until Tepper mismanagement a proud middle of the pack, sometimes good/great team.

The Tepper years make us look like bottom feeders. His ineptitude is being projected onto a once proud franchise. He shouldn't be searching when the right guy basically walked up to the door, but you're looking over his shoulder at Sean. Smh.

• Pie 1
  • Poo 1