• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Sam Darnold

Shocker

2 minutes ago, mav1234 said:

Sam wasn't a rookie. We need a QB with upside and potential to build around and Sam isn't it.

I hear you but if we can’t one of the top 2 QBs I would seriously resign Sam and wait.  Our team can get great with these picks and I ain’t done with Sam.  

• Pie 4
  • Beer 1

10 minutes ago, Shocker said:

Question: would we be happy with any rookie QB playing as well as Sam played at the end of the season?  Sam was really solid IMO.  I don’t think we should forget how he improved.

Should we resign Sam and draft other positions?

We should sign a veteran and draft other positions. I laid out the various reasons in another thread.  Sam is an option, but without poking around the QB FA pool first, I would not say he's the veteran option just yet.

• Pie 1
  • Beer 2

25 minutes ago, Shocker said:

Question: would we be happy with any rookie QB playing as well as Sam played at the end of the season?  Sam was really solid IMO.  I don’t think we should forget how he improved.

Amazing how people still think Darnold is a starter in this league. He is not. He is a backup. He sucks. 
It was very obvious he made our offense very limited and that Saints game was absolutely putrid. Which  Darnold supporters seem to forget. 
Darnold is done and if this team resigns him after how atrocious he was with us. I have reason to believe that that the Panthers FO is run by morons. 
Also Darnold was not solid. He was the very definition of a backup QB. Good for 3 or 4 games and then the wheels fall off. 

Edited by TLGPanthersFan
  • Pie 8
  • Flames 1

1 minute ago, JawnyBlaze said:

I don’t think we’ll find a better backup in FA and Darnold seems like a good dude, so it really just comes down to cap space. Whatever equivalent QB we can sign for the cheapest is who I prefer. 

Brissett, Hienicke and Minshew are a few I wouldn't mind.  I don't think the Ravens or Giants let Jackson/Jones get away.  Likewise, Cooper Rush or Mike White will likely get locked up before hitting the market.  Both guys looked good in relief roles.

I'd prefer to wait until after the draft vs when we traded for Darnold, traded away Teddy and skipped on Justin Fields probably because Rhule was embarrassed about all that trading and having a guy fall right into his lap. The level of vet QB can't really be known until we know what rookie QB's we're dealing with, some guys just need some vet presence and some guys need to sit a whole year. 

55 minutes ago, Shocker said:

If Reich is the coach many think he is why not let him have a go at Darnold?

• Pie 5
  • Poo 1

7 minutes ago, panthers55 said:

So he had a bad game that we won. Truth is he went 4-2 and managed the game well. He made throws and moved the chains. Even with the Saints game he averaged scoring 24 points a game during that stretch which was above the NFL average. And that was coming off IR playing for McAdoo. His quarterback rating was 92 with a couple of games over 100. He was more than serviceable and had Horne played in the Tampa game he would have taken us to the playoffs. You can dislike him all you want but his play was not the problem at the end of the year.  Should be interesting to see what Reich thinks about him.

Well said and completely agree.

Yes, he had a stinker for the Saints game (lets face it - I knew the team would look bad after the demoralizing loss to Tampa to miss the playoffs and somehow the Saints still outsucked us), but the dude pretty much did everything we could ask of any non-top 10 QB the other 5 games he played. And that's with an absolute moron calling plays for us on offense.

I would be curious to see how Sam would look with an injury-free offseason with a competent OC/coach and an upgrade at skill position players (either a TE or possession WR to complement DJ). Sam is not a great QB, but I think he can be solid while we (hopefully) draft our QB and give him a yearish to develop

• Pie 6
  • Poo 1