• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Super Bowl LVII

Kentucky Panther

2 minutes ago, CPcavedweller said:

I hope you're not in marketing because your analysis is very, very poor. I suppose it's become to be expected with the Tik Tok generation though. Thinking they are the only ones to exist and that everything must be catered to their tiny sliver of the culture.

Proof positive you're making a lot of assumptions and basing your opinion without knowing dick about me. You want your comments to matter and that's fine, have your opinion. But the value of your opinion depreciates when you begin supporting said opinion by misquoting and not seeking clarification from those you disagree with. 

Carry on.

20 hours ago, ladypanther said:

It seems Mahomes is the healthier QB. I think that will make the dff.  I am sure Reid has coached against a Fangio D before.  Would not be surprised if the Chiefs win on the last drive. Should be a good game.

Congratulations ladypanther, you looked in your crystal ball and correctly called the Chiefs winning on the last drive.

• Beer 1

27 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

I couldn't possibly care less about the halftime performance. Honestly, I think Prince was probably the last one I actually watched and I honestly can't name many other halftime performers. I can't tell you off the top of my head who was last year's performer and this time next year I won't be able to tell you this year's was Rianna's. I'm here for a football game, not the show. The show is for all the folks watching who don't watch football otherwise and are just tuning in for the spectacle of the event.

You summed up  my exact feeling very nicely.

1 hour ago, LinvilleGorge said:

I couldn't possibly care less about the halftime performance. Honestly, I think Prince was probably the last one I actually watched and I honestly can't name many other halftime performers. I can't tell you off the top of my head who was last year's performer and this time next year I won't be able to tell you this year's was Rianna's. I'm here for a football game, not the show. The show is for all the folks watching who don't watch football otherwise and are just tuning in for the spectacle of the event.

Halftime is snack and bathroom break time.

2 hours ago, Anybodyhome said:

Everyone wants to talk about how bad the refs are.... how about the idiots who make the entertainment decisions for the half time show? The half time show is to performers as game shows are to washed up actors- it gets them a paycheck.

I have nothing against Rihanna, I don't know her music and it's not something I listen to. But when I saw her on a TV show a couple days ago and she said she hadn't been on a stage in 9 years....

Is it that hard to watch the Grammy Awards, which is the biggest popularity contest for musicians on the planet, and get one of them? Again, not my style, but is it that hard to ask Harry Stiles, Lizzo, Adele, Taylor Swift....?

Lizzo would’ve rocked the entire world. She’s awesome and worked with prince a good bit before he died.

3 hours ago, Anybodyhome said:

how about the idiots who make the entertainment decisions for the half time show? The half time show is to performers as game shows are to washed up actors- it gets them a paycheck.

I have nothing against Rihanna, I don't know her music and it's not something I listen to. But when I saw her on a TV show a couple days ago and she said she hadn't been on a stage in 9 years....

Is it that hard to watch the Grammy Awards, which is the biggest popularity contest for musicians on the planet, and get one of them? Again, not my style, but is it that hard to ask Harry Stiles, Lizzo, Adele, Taylor Swift....?

Taylor Swift would have been a good get, but for years she was associated with Diet Coke, and Pepsi ran the half-time gig. So that was never going to happen.  Once Pepsi bowed out and Apple stepped in, it became more likely to get Taylor. Maybe next year.

A reminder that the headliner does not get paid for their participation (at least, not by the NFL). The exposure, on the other hand, can pay dividends in increased sales/streams/consumption.

The problem with using the Grammys as an indicator is that they're going to be more "sound of the moment" rather than music that would appeal to a larger audience. It's why we typically get older artists with an established discography rather than, let's say, Harry Styles or Sam Smith.   (and if Sam Smith pulled the Grammy UNHOLY performance at the Super Bowl, there'd be hell to pay. Literally - based on the response the Grammy segment got from ultra-conservatives and TV pundits)

Everyone thought we'd get Jimmy Buffett at the recent Miami super bowl. But while his stuff is easy to listen to, it's not mass-market crowd toe-tapping music. Probably the same reason there hasn't been a big Country star as a headliner.   

And you can blame the Panthers SB appearance in Houston for the NFL wanting to play it more safe with artists. No more nipples!   Which likely means current rockers-of-the-moment MANESKIN will not be invited to play - not without extra-heavy-duty nipple tape available.

Recent headliners:

• Rihanna
  • Hip Hop Spectacle (Dre, Snoop, Eminem, Blige, Lamar) ---- oooh, there was a terrific behind-the-scenes doc on this segment on... uh, showtime?... that's worth watching
  • Weeknd
  • Shakira / J-Lo
  • Maroon 5
  • Justin
  • Lady Gaga
  • Coldplay
  • Katy Perry
  • Bruno Mars
  • Beyonce
  • Madonna
  • Black Eyed Peas
  • The Who
  • Bruce
  • Tom Petty
  • Prince
  • Rolling Stones
  • McCartney
  • Janet / Justin
  • Shania Twain / No Doubt
  • U2

With next year's SB taking place in Vegas - the availablity of more interesting headliners looms large. U2 will be the first act to play in the new MSG SPHERE, so maybe they'd be asked back - it's been 20 years... 

4 minutes ago, PanthersATL said:

Taylor Swift would have been a good get, but for years she was associated with Diet Coke, and Pepsi ran the half-time gig. So that was never going to happen.  Once Pepsi bowed out and Apple stepped in, it became more likely to get Taylor. Maybe next year.

A reminder that the headliner does not get paid for their participation (at least, not by the NFL). The exposure, on the other hand, can pay dividends in increased sales/streams/consumption.

The problem with using the Grammys as an indicator is that they're going to be more "sound of the moment" rather than music that would appeal to a larger audience. It's why we typically get older artists with an established discography rather than, let's say, Harry Styles or Sam Smith.   (and if Sam Smith pulled the Grammy UNHOLY performance at the Super Bowl, there'd be hell to pay. Literally - based on the response the Grammy segment got from ultra-conservatives and TV pundits)

Everyone thought we'd get Jimmy Buffett at the recent Miami super bowl. But while his stuff is easy to listen to, it's not mass-market crowd toe-tapping music. Probably the same reason there hasn't been a big Country star as a headliner.   

And you can blame the Panthers SB appearance in Houston for the NFL wanting to play it more safe with artists. No more nipples!   Which likely means current rockers-of-the-moment MANESKIN will not be invited to play - not without extra-heavy-duty nipple tape available.

Recent headliners:

• Rihanna
  • Hip Hop Spectacle (Dre, Snoop, Eminem, Blige, Lamar) ---- oooh, there was a terrific behind-the-scenes doc on this segment on... uh, showtime?... that's worth watching
  • Weeknd
  • Shakira / J-Lo
  • Maroon 5
  • Justin
  • Lady Gaga
  • Coldplay
  • Katy Perry
  • Bruno Mars
  • Beyonce
  • Madonna
  • Black Eyed Peas
  • The Who
  • Bruce
  • Tom Petty
  • Prince
  • Rolling Stones
  • McCartney
  • Janet / Justin
  • Shania Twain / No Doubt
  • U2

With next year's SB taking place in Vegas - the availablity of more interesting headliners looms large. U2 will be the first act to play in the new MSG SPHERE, so maybe they'd be asked back - it's been 20 years... 

The bold were acts that were legendary.  See how they stacked up from year-to-year?  Then it went to more recent artists to appeal to the youngest portion of the fan base in the NFL.  I guess they figured the NFL base was entrenched, they need to reel in a younger crowd with much more recent artists. 

10 hours ago, Anybodyhome said:

Everyone wants to talk about how bad the refs are.... how about the idiots who make the entertainment decisions for the half time show? The half time show is to performers as game shows are to washed up actors- it gets them a paycheck.

I actually like Rihanna's music, but I haven't been able to watch her since she torched a '68 Plymouth GTX Hemi convertible in one of her videos.