• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Panthers hire their OC

ncfan

4 minutes ago, ladypanther said:

While well respected within the Rams organization, Brown has never called plays at the NFL level. His last play-calling gig came in 2015 when he served as the offensive coordinator for the University of Miami.

https://www.thephinsider.com/2022/1/14/22884007/miami-dolphins-request-interview-with-los-angeles-rams-running-backs-coach-thomas-brown

Yes, he had the OC title. 

He didn't call the plays - that was Mark Richt. 

Just now, OldhamA said:

Not what the article said, but no matter.  Reich will call the plays year 1. The Panthers have a lot of experienced coaches as well as very good young talent to develop. I see nothing to complain about.

• Beer 2

3 minutes ago, OldhamA said:

I’ve actually seen it described both ways. Regardless, he’s probably not calling them here either. He’s well-respected around the league and McVay loves him (the guy everyone is trying to copy at the moment). It’s a good hire, there’s no other way to describe it.

• Pie 1

41 minutes ago, onmyown said:

I still believe most of that is all true. He is behind the worst stretch of a 30 year history. That’s on him. And he is still keeping the yes man ‘GM’ Rhule hired who didn’t stop poor decisions being made, including going after Watson. 

However, this is an A+ coaching staff being assembled and that can be acknowledged at the same time. not sure why it can’t? 

Tepper is a ‘180 guy’ as I have always said. He gave all control now wants no one to have control. He went with college clowns and now goes all pros. Seems he’s dialing in, unfortunately as fans we will have to wait for that.

He also doesn’t like people who argue with him, despite his insistence he does. That is why he doesn’t get along with Payton and Harbaugh types. Reich is a fluid, but knowledgable and easy going guy. Hopefully he learned a lot from the  Colts stint.

And make no mistake, Tepper wants all the credit for turning his mistakes around. It’s exactly why he refuses to hire help. He doesn’t believe it’ll be a lengthy learning curve, however with the Hurney, Rhule, ‘it takes seven years’, and Fit (imo) fiascos it’s hard to not be skeptical.

Nevertheless, he has the right people now, he just simply needs to take his hands OFF.

Oh and get a QB. That’ll be the tell. Fit isn’t qualified again imo to evaluate whether a guy is worth trading up for, but, and hopefully, this coaching staff is and they have some say.

I don’t really disagree with you. I think some of you are mistaking my point. I’m simply pointing out that two months ago this place was throwing nothing but hate his way and now they are on cloud nine. It’s just humorous to me and why I’ve learned not to take the posters that post 50 times a day here as seriously as I used to. Because  it doesn’t take much to change the dramatic crowd from one end of the emotional spectrum to the other.

• Pie 2

47 minutes ago, RJK said:

I don’t think tepper gets the credit he deserves for sticking with Rhule for so long. Was it a mistake? Yes. But he gave Rhule plenty of time and space to right the ship and that’s honestly a good trait to have in ownership. 

I agree. We all knew Rhule wasn’t the guy after year one. But I think you still have to give guys time and it shows guys like the new staff coming in that they won’t be immediately canned…. Which may bad why they feel they can come here and build something. Because they know they’ll be given time to do what they want to do.

• Pie 1
  • Beer 2

2 hours ago, rayzor said:

It's a shame we don't have other seasoned, experienced, and successful OCs to mentor him and help him grow into the job.

This to me is the reason to be excited about Brown compared to Joe Brady.  Joe Brady just didn't have the correct support around him.