• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Have the Panthers played this well?

Jaxel

I really don't understand why people keep mentioning the Cardinals in a possible trade down.

100% chance that 2 QB's are going 1-2 in the draft, so for a team who doesn't need a QB, they're essentially already sitting there with the 1st pick in the draft.

Even if we were to tell them we would swap the #1 for #3 without anything extra from them, they wouldn't do it (short of to then trade it again themselves at least) because it would only make that contract bigger for whoever they select.

• Beer 1

2 hours ago, mrcompletely11 said:

If we land Downs in the second to pair with stroud that we won the draft with 2 picks.  Everything else is gravy. 

I'm non-ACC/UNC, but yep, he would be a great get, and a guy to play immediately.  No easing in w/him.  

He reminds me so much of the types that get projected as slot only, but their skill really pushes them beyond it to a more of a plus starter that plays outside at times.

I've seen a lot of Tyler Lockett/TY Hilton comps, but I think he has more upside with his quick moves, intermediate game, & contested catching.  It's hard to see him not have an instant impact.  I see a Devonta Smith or Amon Ra in him that's not getting enough praise.

Edited by Bear Hands

2 hours ago, mrcompletely11 said:

There would be literally no point in trading down, thats just being cute for the sake of being cute

Yep. Would be a pointless move. As I've said before, why the hell would you waste all that effort to try and ensure you get your top choice only to give up control? You only do a dumbass move like that if you can't decide for yourself which of the two would be best to build around and if they can't figure that out then they aren't as smart as I thought they were.

• Pie 2

52 minutes ago, TN05 said:

Nothing has indicated this front office is remotely competent since Tepper took over and at this point I expect nothing but failure

There's pretty much nothing left of the front office that was in place when Tepper took over.

Hell, even the guys that were here for Rhule's first year are mostly replaced by this point.

• Beer 1

All this talk about trading down is just a smokescreen to try and get the Texans to panic and trade up 1 spot. Thers's been smoke for months that Stroud is the "Apple of our eye" and he'll be the pick if Houston doesn't bite. If Houston is truly comfortable between Young or Stroud, then they'll stay put but if they truly want Young above all else then I believe they'll throw us a 2nd round pick to move up 1 spot to secure their guy and make sure their division rival Colts can't jump them. 

2 hours ago, rayzor said:

Yep. Would be a pointless move. As I've said before, why the hell would you waste all that effort to try and ensure you get your top choice only to give up control? You only do a dumbass move like that if you can't decide for yourself which of the two would be best to build around and if they can't figure that out then they aren't as smart as I thought they were.

I don’t think it’s smart to kill your WR room and trade up to get someone you could’ve gotten without trading up, but there’s a good chance that’s what they did. 

34 minutes ago, Carl Spackler said:

I don’t think it’s smart to kill your WR room and trade up to get someone you could’ve gotten without trading up, but there’s a good chance that’s what they did. 

If that was what it cost, it's worth it. This year isn't the only year our QB would have to go without a good WR, because they can definitely address it later on. 

This was the best time to get the QB we needed though, and if the choice is missing out on the franchise QB you want or keeping the good WR you've got, you go for the QB. 

And I doubt the FO was itching to trade off DJ. They probably tried other options first and didn't succeed. There was likely more teams vying for it so it was going to hurt one way or the other. Chicago wanted DJ so the only way we were likely going to get our QB was to sacrifice him. 

Later on there might have been a cheaper route, but you've got to make deals when you know you can when the target is that important. You can't speculate for later and hope that something shakes out. You've got to move when you can and pay as much as you need.