• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Tony Pauline: CJ Stroud or Anthony Richardson

TheSpecialJuan

1 hour ago, Mr. Scot said:

Not at all...

If you like more than one player equally, you could move back, gain additional picks to make your roster even better and still get one of the guys you wanted.

Don't know that anything like that will happen but if it did, I'd call that pretty smart.

We may have increased the value of these top picks by taking #1 by compressing the range of where QBs will be taken. Before the trade, the top 4 could have gone 2, 4 and anywhere from 5-9. Now, it's nearly certain that 3 QBs will go top 4, and that last one standing could be very valuable to those 5-8 teams still needing one. Could this have been part of the thought process all along? Regardless, I'd love to hear what everyone thinks of this hypothetical:

What if we traded down until there was only 1 QB left, at least to 5 you'd think. According to most draft charts, that would be worth about three 2nds, which are valued roughly equal to future 1sts. If we could net something equivalent to three 2024 1sts to take the leftovers at 5 or 6, the pick itself would be free

We'd have traded DJ + a 2025 2nd for two extra 1sts in 2024 AND moved up from 9 to 5 this year. 

All-in, we'd have a rookie top 5 QB, three 1st rounders and our own 2nd next year, and our 2025 1st. If the leftovers, presumably Levis, ends up hitting, then we are loaded for the future. If he busts, we're better positioned to trade up for our guy next year. This would give us two shots at getting what we want, with the 1st option just being better, but the 2nd option no worse off than we were before. 

None of these guys are Luck or Lawrence level sure things. If we get a chance, give me a free mulligan if needed and if not, we can cash our mulligan in next year and build a dynasty for the next decade. 

• Pie 1

14 minutes ago, CL1022 said:

We may have increased the value of these top picks by taking #1 by compressing the range of where QBs will be taken. Before the trade, the top 4 could have gone 2, 4 and anywhere from 5-9. Now, it's nearly certain that 3 QBs will go top 4, and that last one standing could be very valuable to those 5-8 teams still needing one. Could this have been part of the thought process all along? Regardless, I'd love to hear what everyone thinks of this hypothetical:

What if we traded down until there was only 1 QB left, at least to 5 you'd think. According to most draft charts, that would be worth about three 2nds, which are valued roughly equal to future 1sts. If we could net something equivalent to three 2024 1sts to take the leftovers at 5 or 6, the pick itself would be free

We'd have traded DJ + a 2025 2nd for two extra 1sts in 2024 AND moved up from 9 to 5 this year. 

All-in, we'd have a rookie top 5 QB, three 1st rounders and our own 2nd next year, and our 2025 1st. If the leftovers, presumably Levis, ends up hitting, then we are loaded for the future. If he busts, we're better positioned to trade up for our guy next year. This would give us two shots at getting what we want, with the 1st option just being better, but the 2nd option no worse off than we were before. 

None of these guys are Luck or Lawrence level sure things. If we get a chance, give me a free mulligan if needed and if not, we can cash our mulligan in next year and build a dynasty for the next decade. 

I don't know if it'll happen but I definitely believe that it's in the discussion.

1 hour ago, App Panther said:

The 2013 NBA draft class did not have a clear #1, in fact Bennett was probably considered one of the safer picks at that time.

Ironically, the best player out of that year was also the most raw and unrefined which the Bucks were willing to take a chance on. 

Bennett was in no way considered the safest pick. He was a very good player at UNLV who drew comparisons to Larry Johnson, but was thought of as a swing-for-the-fences pick. At the time, your safer picks were like Nerlens Noel, who panned out better but not very good at all for the draft slot. 

1 hour ago, AggieLean said:

Give me Stroud. He’s been the guy I’ve wanted for months now. I would be ok with Young, but we shouldn’t even be looking at AR. Not at the 1 spot. I was fine with grabbing him at 9, but at 1, it needs to be Stroud or Young.

This is my stance. If they fug this up, I'll drive to the stadium and help them move.

• Beer 1

I said it before the Panthers traded up that I wouldn't be surprised if AR is the first qb taken... 

Still wouldn't be surprised. 

All 4 top qb's have major nfl ?. 

Richardson has the highest ceiling and after the combine wasn't going to be available at 9. Couldn't go to 3 because Chicago was trading out and Houston might like AR more than Young. 

So.....move to #1

6 hours ago, kass said:

One could hope. And that this kind of articles is part of the smokescreen.

To make a big move, Panthers needed the right staff

Red flag for me regarding coaches and GMs, "We can fix him" mentality... 

Thats what coaches are for.  Try to help coach out the bad habits and try to set them up in a way where the playcalling boosts their strengths.