• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Let's talk Terrace Marshall

TheMaulClaw

8 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

Hell, I'm just hoping we stop sucking. Field me a team that competes week in and week out and shows potential and I'll call this year a success.

Agreed. The enthusiasm is great but it's still a tad unwarranted. I mean we haven't even hit training camp and began swooning over roster guys that will be sure-thing difference makers.

1 hour ago, LinvilleGorge said:

If he puts up those numbers as our 4th leading receiver we have the best offense in the NFL and Marshall leads the league in yards per catch. The Chiefs had the #1 passing offense in the league and their 4th leading receiver had 42 catches for 568 yards and 5 TDs. Jaylen Waddle led the league at 18.1ypc.

What can I say....I feel optimistic for the first time in a long time. 

Ain't no tapping the brakes around here.

• Beer 1

Im hype about adam and chark, but TMJ needs to be ready to play/start. At some point in the season, TMJ will be called on to start and help win the games. 3rd year is the "magic" year for breakout WRs. 

New staff and theres new hope...i didnt like either WR coaches rhule hired. Hard to get better than richard, but shawn is a great WR coach. Glad to have that type of coach at one area of weakness. 

Edited by Basbear

Hold up!  I have been screaming about Marshall this offseason.  He is not going to breakout--he already has.  He is the reason (and Shenault) that i do not think we should take a WR at 39.

During 2021, Marshall had 138 yards on 17 receptions.

During the first eight games of 2022, Marshall had 148 yards on 10 receptions.  During the time, we got rid of Anderson and Rhule. In the last 8 games of 2022--more than a half season--Marshall had 342 yards on 18 receptions.

If you take the last 8 games of 2022--when TMJ was forced into the offense more, he would have averaged 43 yards per game.  Over a 17 game season, that equates to 727 yards. 

Considering the QB situation, coaching, maturity, etc.  It is reasonable to expect TMJ to continue that type of production, if not improve it.

PS.  He is not yet 23.  There are many players in this draft who are older.

Edited by MHS831
  • Pie 2
  • Beer 1

1 hour ago, Basbear said:

Im hype about adam and chark, but TMJ needs to be ready to play/start. At some point in the season, TMJ will be called on to start and help win the games. 3rd year is the "magic" year for breakout WRs. 

New staff and theres new hope...i didnt like either WR coaches rhule hired. Hard to get better than richard, but shawn is a great WR coach. Glad to have that type of coach at one area of weakness. 

I think that he'll start from the get-go.

2 hours ago, WhoKnows said:

No kidding. I don’t get the hype. He has 1 TD in 2 years in the most garbage time of garbage times down 42-7. Even Mayfield looked good at the end of that game because Cincy pulled starters.

Also, I don’t know where the “doghouse” talk is from and trying to equate him with Bozeman who wasn’t playing.

Marshall played 63.5% of the snaps. Outside of OL, only DJ Moore played more snaps. This idea that he never played was debunked by me in his rookie year and now again this year.

OP mentioned his biggest issue, IMHO, separation. I know that Next Gen Stats said he did well but that’s based on receptions/targets and he was two more than the minimum targets. He had a few long catches which led to it looking like he could separate but his target to snap ratio is lower than all other WRs last year even Chosen. That to me says he doesn’t get open enough to get more targets.

It should be obvious that almost everyone in here mentions that he was in the dog house yet he played 63.5% of the snaps even though he missed 3 games. If he played all 17, he would have played almost 80% of the snaps. He wasn’t riding the pine like Bozeman, he was our WR2 out there most plays. He didn’t get open enough. DJ played 50% more snaps but had triple the targets and DJ was the focus of the D.

As a fan, a breakout would be awesome but folks thinking he’ll replace DJ’s stats. To replace DJ’s stats, his snap count % better be 200% next year, which seems doable with Chark, Thielen and Hurst.

I would hold my horses about any separation issues. I think that his biggest issue was QBs who focused in on more as opposed to spreading the ball around. We should know what's what by season's end.

I think context is key. he was hardly used and at best was the #3 WR. When he finally started getting used this year it was mostly when we had a 2nd-3rd string Qb and we ran the ball a lot. He has potential still and with the right offense and coaches I think he can be a star. 

• Pie 1

5 hours ago, Wundrbread33 said:

Call me crazy but I’m not worried about him at all.

It’s been said, but he was in the doghouse for unknown reasons. 

He flashed down the stretch and made some great catches. 

We now have actually offensive coaches, and better options at QB (at least I’ll assume this).

55-75 catches

800-1000+ yards 

6-10 TD’s

Those are windows that I think are realistic, and honestly I’m satisfied if he falls anywhere in there. Just keep improving.

I share this same sentiment. His confidence was probably shelled as well. Doesn’t really have that “dog” but he’s hyper talented. I’m very interested to see how dynamic he is.

• Pie 1