• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

PETER KING with the latest: there are several within Panthers organization that favor Bryce Young

TheSpecialJuan

We finally have a chance to get the most accurate QB, one with prototypical size and arm strength. If we chase Mahomes magic by taking a player who doesn’t have his physical ability (or size), I’ll be disappointed. I’d support Young, but he is so tiny. I’d be holding my breath every play. 

• Pie 4

1 minute ago, MHS831 said:

He is the better football player because he is smart and makes the most of what God has given him.  That is the kind of person you want leading your team.  Again, you have to then ask, but is Stroud NOT that kind of player?

If it were my decision, I think size is not as important at QB as intelligence and leadership.  If Stroud is Young's near equal, you might go with Stroud--but I have a feeling that Young is "off the charts." That is the guy you draft because if you don't, he beats your butt for the next 10-15 years.

The way I look at it is this: if Young were Stroud's height/weight he would be the unquestionable #1 QB in this draft and one of the best prospects in the last 3-4 years.

That being the case, if the only reason he isn't that is because of 5 inches and 15 pounds, the question becomes to me: how important are those inches/pounds, REALLY? To me, not important enough to not draft a guy who ticks literally every other box there is to tick.

• Pie 7

I gotta admit, I've been on the Stroud bandwagon for a while. But the more I watch Bryce Young's tape, that man has that "IT" factor. Don't know how to explain it. Dude is clutch AF and seems to ALWAYS make a play when Alabama needed it. And then on top of that he has elite processing skills to dissect a defense and move them around how he wants, that is a recipe for an elite QB at the next level. I think what has won me over is his poise against pressure (which is something you rarely see from a QB in college). Had one of the best QB ratings when facing pressure his whole college career. That is that "IT" factor I'm talking about. I'm not saying Stroud won't be good, I just think Bryce has something these other QBs don't.

Again though, I would be ecstatic to have either one!

Edited by Castavar
  • Pie 7

2 minutes ago, Jay Roosevelt said:

The way I look at it is this: if Young were Stroud's height/weight he would be the unquestionable #1 QB in this draft and one of the best prospects in the last 3-4 years.

That being the case, if the only reason he isn't that is because of 5 inches and 15 pounds, the question becomes to me: how important are those inches/pounds, REALLY? To me, not important enough to not draft a guy who ticks literally every other box there is to tick.

I’d be happy with either one and I trust the staff to make the right call.  I’ve been more of a Stroud guy, but this is a pretty good argument.

• Pie 4

8 minutes ago, Jay Roosevelt said:

He needs to be Strouds height weight, but also have his arm strength, ball placement, and quick timing.  Then I would want him ahead of Stroud

• Pie 3
  • Beer 1

I see positives in Stroud and also Young. The only thing that scares me about Young's style of play is that the NFL is a different animal than the SEC. Some of the cute (awesome) plays that he could make in college won't be there in the NFL so you have to deduct some of his stock off for that. I'm intrigued by Stoud's pre-snap abilities and if that's something that the team feels they can coach up. pre-snap seems like there area where Young has the advantage right now.

• Beer 2

13 minutes ago, Castavar said:

I gotta admit, I've been on the Stroud bandwagon for a while. But the more I watch Bryce Young's tape, that man has that "IT" factor. Don't know how to explain it. Dude is clutch AF and seems to ALWAYS make a play when Alabama needed it. And then on top of that he has elite processing skills to dissect a defense and move them around how he wants, that is a recipe for an elite QB at the next level. I'm not saying Stroud won't be good, I just think Bryce has something these other QBs don't.

Again though, I would be ecstatic to have either one!

Here's my thing though. How much of that elite processing was forged out of necessity?

Typically, the mental side of the game is the big unlock/next step for QB's to take their game to the next level. If Young is already doing that then I think it's reasonable to think he might be near his peak already. 

He has to put a lot of effort into this throws and he doesn't have a big cannon for deep throws. I fear this guy getting roughed up and having shoulder problems from the sheer amount of reps. Not just injury potential but the grind of the game.

I also think his deep drop backs are a concern for our tackles and play designs. 

Edited by OneBadCat
  • Beer 2

2 minutes ago, OneBadCat said:

Here's my thing though. How much of that elite processing was forged out of necessity?

Typically, the mental side of the game is the big unlock/next step for QB's to take their game to the next level. If Young is already doing that then I think it's reasonable to think he might be near his peak already. 

He has to put a lot of effort into this throws and he doesn't have a big cannon for deep throws. I fear this guy getting roughed up and having shoulder problems from the sheer amount of reps. Not just injury potential but the grind of the game.

I also think his deep drop backs are a concern for our tackles and play designs. 

I understand this logic when i see it posted all the time but i disagree with it.  So many peoole want to act like physical cant be taught but everything mentally can.  People have ceilings as far as processing speed and the mental side of it too regardless of how much coaching they have.  Not everything mental can be coached either.

• Pie 5

If you pick Young and he breaks in a year or two or can't stay on the field like Kyler has yet to, yeah GM gets fired for screwing up the #1 pick while STROUD is out there balling.

Young will have to play under center more, scramble less, get the ball out faster. That's a lot to improve plus he's undersized.

Too much risk for #1. Guys loving him up but when he breaks...

• Beer 1

Just now, Tr3ach said:

I understand this logic when i see it posted all the time but i disagree with it.  So many peoole want to act like physical cant be taught but everything mentally can.  People have ceilings as far as processing speed and the mental side of it too regardless of how much coaching they have.  Not everything mental can be coached either.

SPOT ON!!!

9 minutes ago, rippadonn said:

If you pick Young and he breaks in a year or two or can't stay on the field like Kyler has yet to, yeah GM gets fired for screwing up the #1 pick while STROUD is out there balling.

Young will have to play under center more, scramble less, get the ball out faster. That's a lot to improve plus he's undersized.

Too much risk for #1. Guys loving him up but when he breaks...

U can predict future injuries…lol.

Can I have the lottery numbers next? 

Just now, Ivory Panther said:

U can predict future injuries…lol.

Can I have the lottery numbers next? 

Yes small vs big. Not too hard too predict. He's got small bones not even Kyler Murray big bones.

Take that risk on someone else's dime and time, cool but...

Desus And Mero Pass GIF by Bernie Sanders