• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Are smaller players more injury-prone?

MHS831

6 minutes ago, Mr Mojo Risin said:

Mine would be the velocity at which they can throw the football. There's no way a 5 10 Bryce Young throws a faster ball than a 6 5 250 pound Cam Newton. I just worry about Youngs arm strength not being adequate enough for the speed of NFL secondaries 

Cam threw the ball a bit too hard starting out. His first throw (or one of his first throws) to Smitty in practice, iirc, resulted in Smith's fingers getting separated. 

• Beer 1

11 minutes ago, rayzor said:

Cam threw the ball a bit too hard starting out. His first throw (or one of his first throws) to Smitty in practice, iirc, resulted in Smith's fingers getting separated. 

He doesn't have to be able to throw as hard as Cam but arm strength would be more of my concern over the injury prone argument when it comes to his size

• Pie 2

22 minutes ago, Lame Duck said:

Someone shared insight after my post.  It was on one of the scouting reports that said he had recurring shoulder injuries in both years he started.  I mean… he’s 5’10 and most tackles will be in shoulder area.

He had 1 injury on the shoulder.

he missed the rest of the game he got injured in and the following but It wasn't reoccurring.

Anyway, if a "reoccurring" injury is not making him miss major time & he is able to play at high level a few weeks later, I'm good with that.

Playing hurt can be considered a sign of toughness by his peers which helps with leadership.

Btw Stroud had a similar injury in 2021...

• Pie 1

While we are on this weight discussion, I thought I’d share McCown’s comment regarding bryce core strength.

I think it’s one aspect that hasn’t been talked about enough IMO. For a player with size concerns, he sure breaks a lot of arm tackles unlike Tua for example who has a hard time doing that. 

Core strength is something very important & watching Bryce, it’s something he appears to have. 

• Pie 3

No but the fact is this give the opponent gameplan to target with the small QB.

Also, I do believe smaller players have a higher chances to get injure than others when the same collision happened.

Just like driving with the smart for two car is giving yourself higher dead rate chances than driving with the Hummer when accident occurred. 

Physical size alone is not enough to draw any conclusions.  However, everything else being equal, larger is better than smaller or at least that's what I've been told.  These factors may play a much larger role in the Panthers final decision.

1. Style of play

2. Processing speed

3. Release time

4. Arm strength

5. Pocket awareness

• Pie 3

1 minute ago, NanuqoftheNorth said:

Physical size alone is not enough to draw any conclusions.  However, everything else being equal, larger is better than smaller or at least that's what I've been told.  These factors may play a much larger role in the Panthers final decision.

1. Style of play

2. Processing speed

3. Release time

4. Arm strength

5. Pocket awareness

There is a reason that in just about every high school and college weight room there is a sign that says "Bigger, Faster, Stronger"

• Pie 1
  • Poo 1

1 hour ago, Ivory Panther said:

He had 1 injury on the shoulder.

he missed the rest of the game he got injured in and the following but It wasn't reoccurring.

Anyway, if a "reoccurring" injury is not making him miss major time & he is able to play at high level a few weeks later, I'm good with that.

Playing hurt can be considered a sign of toughness by his peers which helps with leadership.

Btw Stroud had a similar injury in 2021...

I think they both had a similar injury in College.

I feel like the data about larger QB's are more prone to injury can be relatively misleading.

Couple of things to note:  

1.  Correlation does not imply causation

2. Inferential statistics is simply storytelling 

But thought this link was very interesting:

https://webpages.uidaho.edu/~renaes/251/HON/Student PPTs/Avg NFL ht wt.pdf

This provides excellent insight into average height and weight for the QB

As for weight you will see a median of about ~220 for QB's

with a min of about ~215

(Granted, I do not know the year of this particular data collection date)

You will also see outliers of about 240 ( this is important to not because outliers can greatly increase your mean or average depending on your vernacular). 

QB- Avg. Height: 75.43 in Avg. Weight: 224.97 lbs

Why is this all noteworthy, it's because the NFL has a prototypical size for there QB's ( as with every position.  there are exceptions of course)

So there is not a lot of data on QB's who are typically much smaller than the "proto typical size".  which will naturally show that bigger/heavier QB's are injured more

In conclusion:  Of course some data will show larger the QB the more they get hurt, because from a logical standpoint: There is a much larger sample size to make an inference from.  

Am I right?  I have no idea. 

2 hours ago, poundaway said:

So the data says the bigger QBs get hurt MORE.

Some huddlers are going to dismiss this right quick.

giphy.gif?cid=ecf05e47xq531iavfc4nskht1l

Where's the data on QBs who are Bryce Young's size?

john-travolta-confused.gif

It's not that he's undersized in that he's just smaller than ideal. It's that he's historically small for the position.

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

I finally get to drop this sense no young stan will try me.

First off theres not much data on younger players, hmmmm i wonder why?? They have a longer road ahead to make the team, thus theres much fewer of them. Been that why since the last 50 years.

Heres the deal- theres an idea size and young is vastly below it. Thats just the facts. Young isnt some 4.21 guy or eel or master pocket wizard. Hes great with a couple flaws that would be hard to overlook at #1 overall.