• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Hypothetical Question that I'm sure will remain civil

Ricky Spanish

I know this is going to turn into a shitshow before I even ask, but I was wondering:

There has been a ton of talk that Houston might not take a QB at 2 if the guy they like isn't there. IF and I mean IF We take Young at #1 and Houston either trades down or passes on Stroud, what will the feeling be for those in the "Stroud over Young" Camp?

Vice versa, If we take Stroud and then Houston either trades out of 2 or doesn't take Young, how will the "Young over Stroud" camp feel?

Personally, whoever we take in that scenario will give me reassurance that we chose the right guy. Will those in your respective camps double down and call both QB Needy franchises dumb?

I doubt there is a scenario where HOU passes on Bryce Young if he's available. I mean, the main reason there is talk about them trading out of the pick is because they do not believe they have a shot at getting Young at #2.  

But to answer your other question, if HOU passes on Stroud after we take Young, then I guess it will mean there is some truth to the recent rumors coming out about CJ regarding him being "difficult" to coach. Caserio is from the New England/Belichick tree and they are known for vetting their players. But who knows, CJ Stroud could be the guy like Bryce Young is the guy and the Texans will regret passing on him. It'll be interesting to see nonetheless on how this class turns out especially since Bryce and CJ will be linked for their entire careers.

I slightly prefer Stroud, but I won't be bothered at all. I think Young has an incredible skill set and the potential to be a great franchise QB. And, of course, it's a team game first and foremost. A QB is his surroundings in many ways. (including coaching and players) Nothing and no one exists in a vacuum, with all things influencing all *other* things. I think the surrounding elements (currently) here make either QB a likely good one. The soil is fertile and ready to sprout a franchise quarterback, is what I'm trying to say.

And looking at Bryce's individual strengths, it's hard not to be excited. Sharp mind, *quick* mind with excellent anticipation, looks to be a good leader in many ways, instincts are developed. I'll be thrilled and hopeful.

• Pie 4

Ambivalent. 

I'm willing to trust the coaches & FO until proven wrong.

Like I said many times, in 2001 I was pissed that we burned a 3rd rounder on a dwarf WR from Utah of all places thus proving I have no business in a draft day war room.

• Pie 5
  • Beer 1

At this point I'm not in either of those camps, I view them as being pretty even, just different. I had slightly preferred Stroud for a while and I still really like him but if we take Young and Stroud falls it won't change my opinion. I think both players are legit prospects with serious franchise QB potential but who also have some (mild) concerns. NFL teams do dumb poo all the time so seeing the Texans trade down or take a defensive player or something wouldn't surprise me nor would it change my opinion on either QB. The Texans should take whichever one we don't take. If they don't, it won't change how I feel about whoever we pick 1st at all.

• Pie 2

Slightly in the Stroud camp, myself, but what the Texans do after we pick means nothing to me.  If anything, the Texans passing on which of these two we do not draft has a better chance of being an indicator that they will be wildly successful in the NFL.  Trying to get any great insight on the meaning of life based on what the Houston Texans do seems roughly the same as deciding what to do with one's money by listening to my ex-wife. 

Any debate over whether we made the right or wrong pick may be decided by the results on the field.  I say may be because both Stroud and Young could be crazy good......or both wash out in a couple of years.  I think the former has a better chance than the latter, but you never know.  We may look back in a few years and say we couldn't lose with this pick.....or couldn't win.

• Pie 1

1 hour ago, shaqattaq said:

For me, the debate ends the second we announce our pick. Once either of them is a panther, I'm 100% on board. 

Of course...I've flip flopped on them from the beginning.

Agreed. All the bluster and suggestion that anyone other than one or two simpletons won't support the pick is just nonsense. You rally behind your guy and hope he meets and exceeds expectations. At the end of the day it isn't our jobs on the line. Tepper paid all this money for a staff with decades of wisdom if they believe in him so be it.

Edited by frankw
  • Pie 1
  • Beer 2

8 minutes ago, frankw said:

Agreed. All the bluster and suggestion that anyone other than one or two simpletons won't support the pick is just nonsense. You rally behind your guy and hope he meets and exceeds expectations. At the end of the day it isn't our jobs on the line. Tepper paid all this money for a staff with decades of wisdom if they believe in him so be it.

Thats where I am at.  Once he gets picked he is ours.  He is one of us and the FO better pray he works out or someone is losing their job unless its Tepper making the call.

However I have watched NFL for 40ish years I just know how this is going to end

Just now, mrcompletely11 said:

Thats where I am at.  Once he gets picked he is ours.  He is one of us and the FO better pray he works out or someone is losing their job unless its Tepper making the call.

However I have watched NFL for 40ish years I just know how this is going to end

Depends on how we continue to invest in the OL. People talk Brees and Wilson but one of those QB's played behind olines that their team invested very heavily in and the other ended up leaving Seattle because of their ineptitude in that area. Scott was there for that too. Just have to hope he's learned a big lesson and will leave no stone unturned in keeping our depth up to par.

• Pie 2