• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Bijan vs Bryce

Peon Awesome

11 hours ago, Harbingers said:

RB’s are prone to lower body injure’s but they are usually engaged in forward motion so they have control over how they are hit. 

QB’s are going 360 degrees from center consistently or standing in place with the much bigger people hitting them, most of the time without control over how they are hit.  

Exactly what I was thinking. Good RBs know how to avoid bad hits and aside from Henry, know when to go down/make the tackle not so bad.

When a QB gets hit, it can be with no warning and it can be a bad hit. That’s why people are more concerned about Young’s size. Even if we get a flag for being driven into the ground, you have to worry about a 300+ pound man causing a should injury to a 190 (his real playing weight) pound man.

Hopefully, the OL and his vision keep that to a minimum. 

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

2 hours ago, WarPanthers89 said:

Nah. Defense is still below standard and you are nothing without a QB. Us with CMC and DJ is a perfect example of this 

That was because of Rhule. We damn near made the playoffs as soon as we switched coaches. Rhule had no idea how to run a NFL team.

Bryce will have to get the ball out quick. If he scrambles he better slide cause he will have his helmet knocked off. Bijan is running into people and expecting contact. Bryce is a sitting duck.And Bryce is in no way 204. He is 185. He is literally  my size and thats a good size for a CB but not a QB.

20 minutes ago, CamWhoaaCam said:

That was because of Rhule. We damn near made the playoffs as soon as we switched coaches. Rhule had no idea how to run a NFL team.

Yeah but it was a historically bad year for the nfc south last year that’s why we were even sniffing playoff talk. In a competitive year we wouldn’t have stood a chance at a division title with Baker or Sam. You don’t seriously contend without a QB and Riddler hasn’t shown me anything to be worried about 

Running back careers are significantly shorter, due to the abuse they receive every time they carry the ball. 

As a fan of running backs, I always had more respect for the ones that lowered their shoulders and dictated the hit, rather than run away from contact.  

Anyways, QB's size doesn't really dictate whether they get hurt more or less.  This off season of everyone crying about how Young can't possibly be the best QB, because of his size/frame/whatever, is just maddening insane.  It's fine, we understand your scared for the little guy. I myself, am excited about the best pure QB this franchise has possibly ever had. 

• Beer 2

2 hours ago, WarHeel said:

A lesson in physics…

Would you rather A) a 300lb lineman tackle you while you’re running as fast as you can opposite their direction or B) get tackled by the same 300lb lineman while you’re feet are planted in the ground with zero momentum on your side?

You clearly have not gotten the memo that there is a "new normal" in physics. 

While we are asking questions, which would you rather do in planning:  A) Address a concern about your plan by spinning some numbers or correlating some conditions that don't correlate to dismiss the concern, B) deny it is a concern and use ad hominem arguments against the person who claims it is a concern, or C) acknowledge the concern and devise a plan and take some action(s) to mitigate it?

I am not bemoaning the selection of Bryce Young.  He's smart, reads defenses well, doesn't do stupid things with the ball, and is everything we have not seen under center in a long time.  But, I didn't like it when we didn't mitigate that same situation with 245-lb QB (unless telling him to run for his life, and if that doesn't work, just rub some dirt on it counts), so I'm certainly not going to like it if we don't make sure we are reducing those situations with a QB 50 lbs lighter.

The good news is the coaching staff that miserably failed the above quizzes now resides in the Nation's capitol, with a bunch of other people who can't pass a planning test, so there is hope. 

I don't even want to think how the coaching staff (using that term very loosely) would have answered either of our quizzes.

3 hours ago, WarHeel said:

A lesson in physics…

Would you rather A) a 300lb lineman tackle you while you’re running as fast as you can opposite their direction or B) get tackled by the same 300lb lineman while you’re feet are planted in the ground with zero momentum on your side?

Sorry, is the RB the one running as fast as he can in the opposite direction of these 300 lb linemen in this scenario?  Is he taking the handoff and then immediately running backwards out of his own end zone or something?  These are the guys often running directly into the 300lb linemen.

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

1 hour ago, MasterAwesome said:

Sorry, is the RB the one running as fast as he can in the opposite direction of these 300 lb linemen in this scenario?  Is he taking the handoff and then immediately running backwards out of his own end zone or something?  These are the guys often running directly into the 300lb linemen.

In what universe does a RB intentionally barrel directly into a lineman? They find a gap, run through it, and if a lineman finds his way in that path it’s not the same as both accelerating in a straight line directly at one another. I think you missed the point.

• Poo 1

15 hours ago, CamWhoaaCam said:

Robinson to the Falcons was something I wasn't prepared for.

Falcons will be our biggest threat in the NFC South this year. If you haven't been paying attention they have significantly improved that defense. Now they have a core of skill players Pitts/London/Robinson.

They don't need much from their QB with those weapons.

Yeah, their skill players poo on ours. 

• Beer 1

15 minutes ago, WarHeel said:

In what universe does a RB intentionally barrel directly into a lineman? They find a gap, run through it, and if a lineman finds his way in that path it’s not the same as both accelerating in a straight line directly at one another. I think you missed the point.

I mean, surely as a Panthers fan you've witnessed countless running plays up the gut into a wall of linemen for zero yards.  "Both accelerating in a straight line directly at one another" is an incredibly hyperbolic interpretation of what I said lol.  Not to mention, running backs getting gang-tackled with a ton of bodies around them often leaves them open to one of these 300-lb linemen (both o-line and d-line) getting pushed directly into their knee or ankle while their foot is planted.

Your initial framing was pretty wacky...running backs running the complete opposite direction of linemen whereas the QB is getting tackled with zero momentum while their feet are planted in the ground?  If anything, the QB is the one running in the opposite direction of the linemen as they trade to elude the pass rush.  The way you framed it is really only particularly applicable for blindside hits where the QB has no idea the rusher is about to hit them (and what percentage of those account for a QB's total sacks taken, maybe 10%?).  Otherwise, the QB can generally see that they're about to get sacked and will brace for the hit.

• Flames 1