• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Panthers Rookie Minicamp 5.12

TheCasillas

1 hour ago, KSpan said:

At the moment there is no real football to discuss and Bryce physically looks like a HS freshman out there. Doesn't mean anything really, but is a bit visually jarring. Just the reality.

OK, unlike Rayzor, I am a bit more understanding (though I'm not a mod) FWIW. This is still a time of transition. Some Huddlers and skeptical fans everywhere, like maybe you and @Hoenheim, will just have to see Young do his thing at a professional level on a consistent basis. I get it. I get it. Yesterday was obviously a "jarring" time for some because apparently it's the first time they've actually paid attention to Young and/or have actually seen him in person. Again, I get it. There's going to be a certain amount of surprise considering what we've all become accustomed to for however many years that we've watched the game. As such, there should be a certain amount of latitude for the reactionists who exclaim, "Oh, my god, he's tiny."

What some of the reactionists must understand is that some of us have been watching Bryce be the smallest guy among giants for years, so his mere existence on the football field is not "jarring," much less surprising. Moreover, I disagree about football. There's always been a discussion about Bryce's pure football abilities---quarterbacking abilities---to be had, as there is now, but some people just refuse to do it. 

To Rayzor's credit, he hasn't banned anyone or gotten saucy or over-the-top (like he did with me when I was going back and forth with Scot). It's probably less about low-key "spamming" than it is actual surprise. Don't get me wrong, I know that message boards are rife with trolls and assholes, but apparently this Bryce thing is a thing that's not going to go away quickly, or anytime soon.

https://www.si.com/extra-mustard/2023/05/12/panthers-bryce-young-first-practice-fans-stunned-about-his-size

But, again, it shouldn't be that hard to talk about Young and football, because the guy has been good at it at all levels.

Edited by top dawg
  • Pie 1

17 hours ago, Hoenheim said:

I only mentioned it once in this thread and tried to so it respectfully and it got trashed immediately 🤣  I just feel like there's no middle ground seemingly you're either a zealous hater or a crazy fan boy with no tolerance for anything that doesn't confirm success 

I think in reality I'm just nervous I guess. I probably need to find some other poo to do until th3 season starts and wait until he proves or doesn't prove it on the field.

I'm not claiming he's going to suck but some people won't even acknowledge the possibility that he'll fail and you get stoned for mentioning it, that's the part I hate about Fandom. I guess you just need to keep your mouth shut if you go against the majority thinking.

No. It's just tired. We know he is short. No need to keep going on about it. He's a Panther now. Just give it a rest.

• Pie 3

2 hours ago, top dawg said:

But, again, it shouldn't be that hard to talk about Young and football, because the guy has been good at it at all leve

No problem with anything you said.

It shouldn't be hard to talk about Young and football, but his size is all they can see and that's a choice. They seem incapable of discussing anything but his size and they are keeping the whole damn discussion on it. They hijack EVERY discussion about him into one about his size. Yes, I haven't banned anyone because of it and I won't unless someone dies get out of hand with it just like any other topic.

But it is damn tiring to keep seeing people say the same thing every discussion. It makes me wish we were using sigs again so someone could make a banner that they all put in saying "he's just so tiny" so they could feel good knowing it was different and they could talk about other things too.

It's annoying as hell, but annoying me is not a bannable offense.

• Pie 2

40 minutes ago, rayzor said:

It shouldn't be hard to talk about Young and football, but his size is all they can see and that's a choice. They seem incapable of discussing anything but his size and they are keeping the whole damn discussion on it. They hijack EVERY discussion about him into one about his size. Yes, I haven't banned anyone because of it and I won't unless someone dies get out of hand with it just like any other topic.

But it is damn tiring to keep seeing people say the same thing every discussion. It makes me wish we were using sigs again so someone could make a banner that they all put in saying "he's just so tiny" so they could feel good knowing it was different and they could talk about other things too.

Or, just like literally any other rookie, he has done nothing on an NFL field and the vey first NFL impression is him looking very, very slight amongst other NFL players. This isn't complicated and there's nothing 'reactionary' about it.

I'll also say that I've been a Panthers fan since 1995 but could not care less about college football and am a blank slate about Young, Stroud, Alabama, etc. Seeing a tiny guy like that for the first time after knowing what Carolina gave up to get there is indeed jarring, and pretty much anything else about this minicamp is walk-through pace in shorts and nearly irrelevant. His size, however, will not change once the pads come on.

It's not a conspiracy. Dude is just barely bigger than Damiere Byrd but at the most critical position. It's very different.

Edited by KSpan

3 hours ago, top dawg said:

OK, unlike Rayzor, I am a bit more understanding (though I'm not a mod) FWIW. This is still a time of transition. Some Huddlers and skeptical fans everywhere, like maybe you and @Hoenheim, will just have to see Young do his thing at a professional level on a consistent basis. I get it. I get it. Yesterday was obviously a "jarring" time for some because apparently it's the first time they've actually paid attention to Young and/or have actually seen him in person. Again, I get it. There's going to be a certain amount of surprise considering what we've all become accustomed to for however many years that we've watched the game. As such, there should be a certain amount of latitude for the reactionists who exclaim, "Oh, my god, he's tiny."

What some of the reactionists must understand is that some of us have been watching Bryce be the smallest guy among giants for years, so his mere existence on the football field is not "jarring," much less surprising. Moreover, I disagree about football. There's always been a discussion about Bryce's pure football abilities---quarterbacking abilities---to be had, as there is now, but some people just refuse to do it. 

To Rayzor's credit, he hasn't banned anyone or gotten saucy or over-the-top (like he did with me when I was going back and forth with Scot). It's probably less about low-key "spamming" than it is actual surprise. Don't get me wrong, I know that message boards are rife with trolls and assholes, but apparently this Bryce thing is a thing that's not going to go away quickly, or anytime soon.

https://www.si.com/extra-mustard/2023/05/12/panthers-bryce-young-first-practice-fans-stunned-about-his-size

But, again, it shouldn't be that hard to talk about Young and football, because the guy has been good at it at all levels.

Saying he's short, and inquiring about his ability to stay healthy, is not a bad thing. Why everyone here acts like it's an asinine take are more absurd than those questioning the issue to begin with.

Rational thought has left the building.

17 hours ago, rayzor said:

He looks tiny because that's all you choose to see. That's what you are fuggin fixated on and you don't have to bring it up every damn time. On the field he looks just like everyone else....a football player.

But yeah... That's all you see. A little man. So please tell us a million more times.

Classic Tv Wow GIF by Sony Pictures Television

He's tiny. Refute that, objective, fact. It's not a feeling and it's not all I refuse to see. I see the skills of your average rookie in only a helmet but he's 5'10, so he looks tiny doing it. 

Refute that. Please. The blind optimism here is nauseating.

• Beer 1

45 minutes ago, rayzor said:

Been screaming this since like March. We need to get together on the dude. Bengals fans don’t wish Burrow was younger or was more mobile or had a stronger arm. Embrace our franchise guy for his positives.

• Pie 2

Cam was 6'5 with a greek bod. People still hated him.

It doesn't matter what you look like, haters will always be around looking for any excuse to down you. Yeah Bryce is small but he plays much bigger than his size. If you actually took time to watch the film you wouldn't be talking about his size so much.

• Beer 1

21 hours ago, NorthTryon said:

It is really amazing and cool how he has become so accommodating and willing to work with young WRs after retirement. He used to be so sawed off back in the day. 

If sawed off means: pushing players to be better, telling them to get in their playbook, to get up of the ground after a hit practice how you play and to play with a boulder on your shoulder, then yeah...

12 minutes ago, CPcavedweller said:

Saying he's short, and inquiring about his ability to stay healthy, is not a bad thing. Why everyone here acts like it's an asinine take are more absurd than those questioning the issue to begin with.

Rational thought has left the building.

But do you have to bring it up every time? That's the issue. That's all you have to contibute to any and every discussion. I mean that's ALL you talk about. Just how much more do you need to say about it?

We all get it. He's short. He's tiny. How many times do you have to mention it? It's a broken record.

26 minutes ago, CPcavedweller said:

He's tiny. Refute that, objective, fact. It's not a feeling and it's not all I refuse to see. I see the skills of your average rookie in only a helmet but he's 5'10, so he looks tiny doing it. 

Refute that. Please. The blind optimism here is nauseating.

Along with the many lies and misunderstandings you have shown on this forum, you have yet to disappoint. You truly do not understand objective vs subjective. 

it’s entertaining for us, but embarrassing for you. The funniest part is that alll of the effort you put in… you don’t exist after the 8 seconds it takes to realize how pathetic you are at internet debates.

that is all.

angry willy wonka GIF

Edited by TheCasillas