• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

App State QB Armanti Edwards on Michigan upset, ‘dark times’ with Panthers

ladypanther

pointless seasons remain pointless.   Not sure why teams do them so often.  There was no point organizationally for 2010 to be what it was.   Same could be said for 2022.   Fox and Rhule were both gone in reality before those seasons started.   

• Beer 2

Gettleman …..yikes 

Lots of stuff coming out about him that certainly implicates him as an asswipe with zero people management skills. 

starting Byron bell and whoever that other scrub was they tried to convert from a TE to RT …those were dark times 

• Pie 2
  • Beer 1

Gettleman sounds like a real POS to work with. I'm 100% convinced JR reactionary fired him to something Gettleman told him that pissed him off. He was objectively a slightly above average GM, but personally I think he was a jerk 

1 hour ago, emcannon said:

I know AE gets a lot of flack from a certain subsection of the fanbase, but he was absolutely electric as a QB at App State and I know I’m not alone in wondering what could have been if his NFL career hadn’t been badly mismanaged by the front office and coaches. 

The crazy part is if he was drafted by someone with half a brain for offense he really could have been an excellent weapon to pair with Cam. If he had been developed by our staff into a somewhat competent WR teams would have HAD to respect him at CB and then you could do some wild QB stuff with him. 

The vision was there, Edwards is a class A act and works his butt off. The draft capital is really what did him in for the fanbase. 

• Pie 2

2 hours ago, ladypanther said:

Featured on Scott Fowler "Legends of the Carolinas".  Interesting comments about his time with the Panthers.  The reason he says that Gettleman gave him for cutting him brings back memories of another player.

Here's what he said about his time as a Panther:

SF: Marty Hurney, then the Panthers’ GM, would make you a third-round pick in the 2010 NFL draft, trading away a future second-round pick to do so. And then the team immediately switched you to wide receiver. Do you think you should have stayed a QB in the NFL?

AE: Of course. From age 6 until my NFL career, I always played quarterback. It was second nature to me. I loved it. But at the time, (the Panthers thought) prototypical quarterback size was needed...........

But at the same time I was told… I would get some opportunities to do some Wildcat (formation, where Edwards could line up at QB for a series of plays from the shotgun). Not once or twice a year; some actual packages for games. And that never happened. So that was a hard time for me.

SF: You played for the Panthers for most of four years, from 2010-2013, never scoring a touchdown after accounting for 139 of them at App State. How do you characterize that experience overall?

AE: That was the darkest time in my football career, at Carolina…. At the beginning, a guy that I looked up to on the team who knows a lot of the ins and outs — he told me the only reason they brought me in was to sell tickets because I’m from App. And I didn’t understand it at the time. It went over my head. But as the season goes on, I’m not even getting the opportunity to play and we’re losing. You’re starting to see it. You start to hear that the coach (John Fox) didn’t even want to draft you…. I felt like I wasn’t getting the help I needed to be a returner, let alone learn how to play receiver…. It was a lot of hardships. A lot of dark times.

Once Coach (Ron) Rivera got there (in 2011), he felt genuine. I liked him… He tried to really look out for me…. I got my opportunity to play punt returner, but I’m not getting (enough) practice, so I’m not really getting anywhere… No disrespect to the receiver coaches, but they didn’t help me. They really just went and coached the guys they knew were going to play… The first time I started getting help was when Ricky Proehl got here as the assistant receivers coach. He actually took his time outside of practice, and in practice, to actually help me.

SF: What happened when you got cut from the Panthers in 2013?

AE: I really started feeling comfortable then, in my fourth year. Coach Rivera deemed me the most improved player in camp. He was excited…. Cam Newton started calling me the “Silent Assassin,” because he along with the coaches was seeing a massive improvement from my third year to my fourth year. But then I got hurt — a hamstring problem. So I didn’t get to play in the final preseason game… We had a new GM (Dave Gettleman) that year…. It (Edwards’ release) was 100% his decision.

I didn’t handle it well, for the simple fact I was given for the release. I was looking for the straight-up answer. If you tell me, “Hey, you’re not panning out to what we expected. We want to give other guys a try” — I can handle that. But during this time, my aunt passed during (training) camp. She was like the head of our family. She held the pieces together…. She was the closest sister at that time to my Mom. So that was devastating for her. So I’m not practicing, and I asked if I could go to the funeral. They let me go.

I come back. I’m still not practicing (due to the hamstring). And I’m easing myself in (to practice)…. They were literally drawing up plays for me....

The reason (for being released) that I got from Gettleman is that I was never the same after my aunt died. That’s what he told me to my face.... So that left a sour taste in my mouth.

https://www.charlotteobserver.com/sports/sports-legends/article273732900.html

Takeaways-poor player development.  Draft a QB you traded up for to turn him into a receiver and then do little or nothing to help him learn the new position. Complete was of a draft pick.

-Is Gettleman a jerk?

Gettleman was always a jerk. I thought this was an accepted fact.

• Pie 4

1 hour ago, SOJA said:

Gettleman sounds like a real POS to work with. I'm 100% convinced JR reactionary fired him to something Gettleman told him that pissed him off. He was objectively a slightly above average GM, but personally I think he was a jerk 

Gettleman would only be considered "above average" by Carolina Panthers GM standards. He is decidedly below average by NFL standards.

• Pie 8

1 hour ago, ladypanther said:

Sounds like little was done to develop him.  Foxy had 1 foot out the door when Edwards was drafted (2010).  He (Foxy) acted like he didn't give a sh#t so not surprised about that.  Rivera not an offensive guy and was a little in over his head.  Edwards landed at the wrong place at the wrong time.

this. we were so badly managed at that point it was nearly comical. But fox was a horrible coach for developing talent and had no interest in developing a QB ever. and hurney was doing coke. honestly he should never have been a GM anyways, always only looking for the good story rather than identifying real talent. 

it was an incredibly poor situation and climate for edwards to be drafted in. i have no doubt that if he entered the draft in the last few years that he would have been sought after early in the draft. he would have been one of the many QBs who have benefitted from Cam's impact in the league. 

lack of ideal height was one issue for sure, but he may have also suffered from the "running QB" stigma. He killed it on passing yards in college, but he also tore it up as a rusher and that might have been something that teams at that point just weren't comfortable with.  

• Pie 6

3 hours ago, scpanther22 said:

A lot of executives act like this and we tend to let them because we think they're the smartest person in the room  

Whats crazy is that fat fug was like the most loved teacher when his fat ass started his career in high school teaching.

https://www.nj.com/giants/2019/12/if-not-for-dave-gettleman-id-be-dead-or-in-jail-stories-about-giants-gms-past-as-drivers-ed-teacher-football-coach.html