• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Panthers have made an offer...

TheCasillas

1 hour ago, thunderraiden said:

Expecting to hit on another edge rusher better than burns with two picks is idiotic.

I agree with what you are saying, but the counter would be the cost to retain him and where that money could be allocated to offset the loss of a player like Burns. For example would Ngakoue at a fraction of his cost (who still is a solid pass rusher) plus the Rams picks plus the money saved more than offset the loss of Burns or not. It’s debatable and our staff didn’t think it would offset his loss.

• Pie 3

He's best on the team, but is he "best in the league" money, though?

I wish his stats said he was. 

Don't get me wrong, I love that he's on our team, but he's not been the "takeover a game" kind of player he needs to be to trying to reset the market. I don't want to see us overpay for potential. Again.

• Pie 4

3 minutes ago, joemac said:

It’s gonna be a real tough pill to swallow to pay a Brian Burns 25-28 million dollars a year. He’s a really solid player, but is he worth franchise QB money from 7 years ago?!

Apples and oranges to compare salaries like that. For those of us old enough to remember, it was a mistake to let Peppers walk. It would be equally as bad to let Burns go. Not only is he a great talent, but a great locker room presence, and seems to be a good guy. He checks all the boxes.

• Pie 5

57 minutes ago, ForJimmy said:

I agree with what you are saying, but the counter would be the cost to retain him and where that money could be allocated to offset the loss of a player like Burns. For example would Ngakoue at a fraction of his cost (who still is a solid pass rusher) plus the Rams picks plus the money saved more than offset the loss of Burns or not. It’s debatable and our staff didn’t think it would offset his loss.

This discussion has run its course but you are correct. First, we don’t have to pick and edge rusher although next year appears to be chock full at the top of the 1st. You’ve got $25-30M to spend. Two solid edge rushers in Judon and Reddick got $13-15M per year. Second, it was 3 picks, pick 36 in the draft we just had and the Rams’ next two 1sts which I personally think will be top 10 and could have been even better. I think after that trade and how they fell apart, McVay may have retired knowing he didn’t have 3 more big picks.

None of that had anything to do with whether you thought Burns was a solid player that you’d want on your team.

Edited by WhoKnows
  • Pie 3

3 hours ago, KillerKat said:

Yes lets trade a premier edge rusher while we are searching for another edge rusher opposite of him so that now we have to find 2 edge rushers with no guarantee of getting the same value in return.
Meme Reaction GIF

Gonna be honest, I would've taken the picks. You're not just getting two 1st rounders, you're also getting all the cap space that Burns's extension will eat up.

With that said, I hope Burns is absolutely dominant in our new defensive scheme and makes any thought of regretting not taking that trade offer laughable.

• Pie 3

For me the anger won't come from a huge contract. Our blueprint to win is to pay our defensive guys big money and try to save money on offense and spread the ball around. Fine. The anger comes in if this doesn't work. The last time I saw Burns play was against Tampa Bay with the playoffs on the line. Burns was never anywhere near Brady, and that was with him going one on one, and with Brady holding the ball to go deep many times.

Of course you can't judge a player on one game, even if it cost us a playoff birth. No anger from me on a mega deal for Burns. I know some of you are fans of certain players and want them to earn a lot of money because you're their fan. That's fine, but I'm not a player fan. I only want the team to do well, and I don't care what kind of money Burns makes, or if he's happy. Just win.

Edited by pantherj

If anyone cares to see what no pass rush looks like, and having to manufacture pressure with blitzes, you don't have to look far. Atlanta is so desperate for help they gave 10 million to 36 year old Calais Campbell, and Tanking Bay is hoping that Barrett recovers from career-ending injury.

• Pie 4

3 hours ago, UnluckyforSome said:

The best part would be the bewildered complaints and nonsensical crying about why we don't have any pass rush.

Star Lotulelei leaves via free agency

"Why our run defense bad??"

(that said he rly went downhill after that first contract so glad it wasnt our problem) 

• Pie 2
  • Beer 1

2 hours ago, Khyber53 said:

He's best on the team, but is he "best in the league" money, though?

I wish his stats said he was. 

Don't get me wrong, I love that he's on our team, but he's not been the "takeover a game" kind of player he needs to be to trying to reset the market. I don't want to see us overpay for potential. Again.

I agree with this but at the same time who else is earning that money right now on our roster? DB? Horn? What are we saving the money for?

I expect it to be a lot, probably Top 3-5 Edge money. But we're not really paying anyone, so whatever. As long as he plays to par what he's been we can move him still, but at worse we have an out in like 3 years by the time it comes to evaluate what we're gonna pay Bryce.

That said the team has surprised me with contracts like Moore's. I'm not holding my breath but unless we're paying him what the Bosas are expecting to get I'm personally gonna feel pretty neutral to the move.

• Pie 1

3 hours ago, LinvilleGorge said:

Gonna be honest, I would've taken the picks. You're not just getting two 1st rounders, you're also getting all the cap space that Burns's extension will eat up.

With that said, I hope Burns is absolutely dominant in our new defensive scheme and makes any thought of regretting not taking that trade offer laughable.

I would have as well. It's all a matter of what you know when.

At the time of the offer, we didn't know...

Who would be the new HC?

Who would be the new DC? 

What defensive scheme would we be running?

Would McVay have stayed with no 1sts in 23, 24 and 25 and no 2nd rounder this year?

Would Aaron Donald have retired if McVay had?

Would it be reasonable to expect that a player of Reddick's caliber could be had at the contract value he got from Philly?

Would it be possible to trade up to 1 and acquire a franchise QB?

Would a franchise QB be available in this year's draft? Last year we didn't see any QB worthy of a top 10 pick or even close. 

So many questions that we just didn't have answers to at the time. I think Burns is a very good edge rusher but his game is not complete. He isn't a Bosa(s), Watts, or Garrett. Paying him a huge salary if he doesn't improve that area could result in paying Bosa money for Reddick production. It's always going to be an interesting debate on whether or not we should have done it. 6 Edge rushers went off the board this year between the Rams 2nd this year and our selection of DJ Johnson. Who knows how any of them will turn out. 

There's no need for anyone to get worked up over coulda, shoulda, woulda. Burns could get injured tomorrow and his career be over. It's Not For Long for a reason. It's all opinion on how would have been best to build the future. We should know in about 3-4 years if making the trade (or not) was the right decision. 

Personally, I always enjoy a little Sunday sofa GM'ing. It makes these boring weeks of the offseason a little more entertaining. There's only so many fantasy football mock drafts one can do. 

• Pie 2
  • Beer 1