• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

how important is it that we win preseason games?

rayzor

I don't care who has better backups to the backups. So wins a losses in preseason doesn't matter to me. I want one thing this preseason, and that is for our guys to stay healthy. Bottles used to be a preseason monster and then do nothing in the regular season and too many guys play like trash and then light it up during the season. Just please stay healthy.

• Pie 2
  • Beer 1

As @Gerry Green said, it used to be common to play the team into shape.  Training camp was longer and there were more preseason games.  At one point there were six, and teams placed increasing importance on them through game five, and used game six to look at the guys on the bubble to see who made the roster and who didn't.

When they went to four preseason games, teams used to put a lot of emphasis on game three.  That started to wane as time went on, and the result was we saw rougher play in September.  Now, with three games and relatively short camps, September is rough. 

If I get bored one day I will look at records at the end of September vs. final standings for a few years.  But, I've been saying September is basically an advanced preseason that the results count in the standings for a few years.  And they have talked about going to 18 games and two preseason games, so that will not get better.

But as for the September analysis, that will have to wait.  I have drinking to do.

• Beer 3

Winning or losing in theory doesn't matter in preseason.  Seeing your players to make decisions for 53 man practice squad roster is foremost.  Getting timing down ( knocking the rust off ).  Staying healthy...

With all that said,  trying to create a winning culture IS IMPORTANT . We currently don't have a winning culture. 2013 -2017 we had a winning culture.  Right or wrong,  we as fans were more concerned when Benjamin was injured in preseason than winning games. 

So yes, walking off the field at the end of game, even preseason ,  matters to players.  

17 hours ago, frankw said:

It's important to see a certain level of production but I do not give a single fug about winning a preseason game.

Frank, that is pretty much how I see it.  Preseason games have become more like advanced scrimmages over time.  You want to see production, cohesion in the units, and ability.  Winning or losing falls behind walking out healthy and seeing those things.

• Beer 1

It's nice to win them but preseason is nothing like regular season. No game planning, established guys play little if at all (and they're usually going maybe 50% if they do play), and the guys who do play typically won't play more than mop-up minutes once the games count. You just don't want to see as few injuries as possible. 

21 hours ago, shaqattaq said:

image.jpeg.f6684c82f05dc5a0f45f6a7499bd0b42.jpeg

Just pray that everyone gets through preseason uninjured. The only ones who it matters for are the fringe players fighting for one of the few roster spots not already determined.

That being said...I hope we win, lol!

Mostly agree, but the one thing I'd add is while it may not be important to win the game, I absolutely want to see us look good. Particularly the starters, but the depth players performing well is also a plus.

• Beer 1