• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Chark Injured?

Jmac

1 minute ago, Gerry Green said:

They clocked Thielen at over 20mph during practice. Seems like he's just fine to me. But then again, I don't think the sky is falling either.

I love what Thielen will be to this team and to Bryce, like I said, the second we made the trade, Thielen became my #1 wanted FA at any position.  

But that doesn't mean he's a #1, because he's just not.  He's a slot WR at this point in his career who can make a significant impact in that role, but if we need him to be our #1 playing an outside WR spot, than we're going to be in a lot of trouble this year.

1 minute ago, tukafan21 said:

I love what Thielen will be to this team and to Bryce, like I said, the second we made the trade, Thielen became my #1 wanted FA at any position.  

But that doesn't mean he's a #1, because he's just not.  He's a slot WR at this point in his career who can make a significant impact in that role, but if we need him to be our #1 playing an outside WR spot, than we're going to be in a lot of trouble this year.

Just because you can think it, does not make it so. Thielen is healthy, as him being clocked at over 20mph shows. Which means he can play any WR position we need from him. 

• Pie 1

14 minutes ago, tukafan21 said:

Okay then, who was the team planning on having as their #1 WR this year then?

I'm not saying what your saying here is dumb, because I clearly agree that signing someone with his injury history to be our #1 was a bad idea.  But it's clear that it was their plan as he was the best WR on the roster, health aside, hence why I was never happy with the signing as I thought it was a stupid plan.

And as bad as a plan as it was to have someone with his injury history be the #1, having TMJ or Mingo be the planned #1 WR is an even worse plan.

Frank has been 100% transparent from the beginning.  He said that they don't intend to have a true #1 this year. That they plan to have plenty of playmakers that allow Bryce Young to do what he does best, spread the ball around. 

I know how most folks feel about not having a true #1 receiver, especially in a passing league. 

This is just how it was going to be this year no matter what us fans wanted. 

• Beer 2

1 hour ago, t96 said:

Chark is an important cog but I think Mingo and Thielen are our 2 more important WRs

I mean, that's easy to say, but Chark is younger and more explosive than Thielen (who is on the wrong side of 30). Of course, it's all for naught if he can't seem to stay on the field. On the field though, Chark can really hang with the best of them. A healthy Chark is a receiver to be reckoned with. The only reason I am even saying that Mingo is more important is because we just drafted him. We think that he can be a Pro Bowl receiver, but Chark has been there. 

Again, don't get me wrong, his injuries have overshadowed his skill. If Chark doesn't work out, I'd like to think that TMJ can, but that's just hope (unless he proves it). That being said, If I'm Fitt, I'm not relying on Thielen or TMJ in 2024, I'm acquiring new blood.

1 hour ago, pantherclaw said:

You sure do ignore poo. 

No one signs an oft injured player with plans for them to be their number 1 receiver. 

There is nothing else to debate. 

There doesn't have to be a #1. The way Young has always played is the guy who is in the best position to make a positive play is the #1 guy. I don't see that changing here.

And there's several promising options to throw to still...Theilen, Mingo, Hurst, and Sanders. Also Shenault.

No #1 type in there(yet), but these guys are enough to move the chains and score with the right QB and play design/calling.

• Beer 4

24 minutes ago, top dawg said:

I mean, that's easy to say, but Chark is younger and more explosive than Thielen (who is on the wrong side of 30). Of course, it's all for naught if he can't seem to stay on the field. On the field though, Chark can really hang with the best of them. A healthy Chark is a receiver to be reckoned with. The only reason I am even saying that Mingo is more important is because we just drafted him. We think that he can be a Pro Bowl receiver, but Chark has been there. 

Again, don't get me wrong, his injuries have overshadowed his skill. If Chark doesn't work out, I'd like to think that TMJ can, but that's just hope (unless he proves it). That being said, If I'm Fitt, I'm not relying on Thielen or TMJ in 2024, I'm acquiring new blood.

Chark was 27th in yards as the defacto number 1 on a bad Jags team that played from behind a ton and had pretty terrible WRs, sure he "made the pro bowl" but considering a guy like Tyler Huntley has also made a pro bowl I don't consider that to mean anything. Chark is a solid deep threat when healthy but I wouldn't say he's much more than that. Important skillset to have but Thielen moves the chains and gets TDs and is an incredible route runner. Out of the slot that is way more important to this team than Chark. And while Mingo will probably have growing pains, he has the overall skillset to be a legit #1 WR and has already been earning Bryce's trust as his favorite target throughout camp. I view that as more important to this season than Chark as well. Due to rookie growing pains a healthy Chark could maybe have more of an impact on the field immediately but Mingo will easily surpass him given time. I'm super high on Mingo though

• Beer 1

4 minutes ago, t96 said:

Chark is a solid deep threat when healthy but I wouldn't say he's much more than that. 

and that's the niche he was brought here to play.   Outside threat.   While we are deep, but he was really the only one suited for that role.   

Adam, TMJ, Mingo, Shenault, etc. don't really fit the bill.   

I think the Panthers got to go to cuts to find a threat if the hammy is a legit issue.  I mean, a roleplayer is fine in that role given Bryce isn't a deep ball slinger.  But you still got to be able to threaten folks or life just gets too easy for a defensive unit crowd a QB.  Especially a rookie. 

1 hour ago, pantherclaw said:

Frank has been 100% transparent from the beginning.  He said that they don't intend to have a true #1 this year. That they plan to have plenty of playmakers that allow Bryce Young to do what he does best, spread the ball around. 

I know how most folks feel about not having a true #1 receiver, especially in a passing league. 

This is just how it was going to be this year no matter what us fans wanted. 

This is what got us to the SB, no true #1 for defenses to key on.  

• Beer 1

2 minutes ago, Chaos said:

This is what got us to the SB, no true #1 for defenses to key on.  

I mean, we did have one of best vertical threats in the NFL though......which was coverage altering. 

I mean, Ginn Jr's #'s would actually be bonkers if he had hauled into all those wide open deep ball TDs.   I mean, he had 700+ yards and 10 TDs.  But there is a highlight clip of all his big play drops.  It's actually insane to go watch that drop reel. 

and that helped the MVP to Pro Bowl TE connection thrive.   Who was the #1 WR.   It would be like saying KC doesn't have a true #1 when the O is built around Kelce.  KC has a #1.  It's the TE.  People largely knew where Cam wanted to go in key moments.