• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Prior draftees (speculation from Person)

Mr. Scot

27 minutes ago, csx said:

There are no draft picks from either of Rhule schools on the roster.

Sam Franklin - Temple

Sam Tecklenburg - Baylor

Mark Milton - Baylor (Rhule was already gone before we signed him)

I doubt that the last 2 make the team. I just realized that you are correct that these were NOT drafted players, all were UDFA. i should have read your statement closer before starting my reply.

Edited by shaqattaq
  • Pie 1

3 minutes ago, shaqattaq said:

Sam Franklin - Temple

Sam Tecklenburg - Baylor

I doubt that the last 2 make the team. I just realized that you are correct that these were NOT drafted players, all were UDFA. i should have read your statement closer before starting my reply.

Not draft picks

• Beer 1

With regards to our TEs, Tremble and Thomas are both primarily best at blocking.  Yeah, you can go jumbo at the goal line and probably slip one of the two into the end zone for a couple of TD passes, but more or less they pose no great threat receiving.

Hurst is really the only TE that defenses will really concern themselves with in passing situations.

Thomas isn't getting cut/waived due to that stupid contract.  Tremble is TE3 at this point - just my opinion.

39 minutes ago, WhoKnows said:

Exactly. The post above mentions the differences between the QBs drafted as if the #1 overall pick being compared to a 3rd round QB makes any sense regardless of their traits.

Also, we traded up for a guy who played all over and had 1 year as a full time DE and we picked Mingo. Both of them are clearly more athletic than college production guys.

The thesis that Reich is wants college production falls apart pretty quickly in our day 2 picks.

Rhule is a boogeyman to some and some people go through hoops to act like the current regime is the opposite. I’m very glad Rhule’s gone but I’m not going to act  like we haven’t see the same tendencies already without him. Hopefully, we do better because it hasn’t been fun to watch this show since the second half of 2018.

Production might not be the best word. Think ability, or skill if you prefer.

It makes sense when you think of the difference between what a college coach recruits and what a professional coach looks for. At the college level, they're taking raw athletes and teaching them to play football. In the pros, you want guys who know how to play to do specific jobs and suit certain rules.

And yes, the contrast between Young and Corral's respective skill sets (and college careers) provides a pretty good illustration.

1 hour ago, CRA said:

I mean, we drafted Bryce Young.....so it is going to make sense to build the team up with guys that cater to what we need.   Which wasn't what we have had or had been drafed for. 

Tommy Tremble doesn't fit a small ball quick pass offense.   You would have never drafted him if you were building an offense around Bryce Young. 

we still have a lot to do on that front, which is normal.   We need some new TEs, WRs and frankly RBs to suit a small ball quick pass O.  We lack the quickness/separation and hands on a lot of fronts.  

Is that what we are now?  Small ball, quick passing offense?  From the small sample size of the preseason, it seems like we're going to be pretty aggressive in the intermediate portion of the field.  We didn't see one true deep shot with Bryce in the game.  Wouldn't surprise me if we attempt a true deep shot on one of the first couple series against Atlanta. 

29 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

Production might not be the best word. Think ability, or skill if you prefer.

It makes sense when you think of the difference between what a college coach recruits and what a professional coach looks for. At the college level, they're taking raw athletes and teaching them to play football. In the pros, you want guys who know how to play to do specific jobs and suit certain rules.

And yes, the contrast between Young and Corral's respective skill sets (and college careers) provides a pretty good illustration.

First, comparing a 3rd round pick to the 1st overall is nonsense. If that’s driving your argument then it’s very weak. Also, Corral had 8287 career passing yards to Young’s 8356. Production wise they were closer than draft pick wise. Everyone knows Young was a better college QB. It’s not debatable but you are insinuating Rhule would have passed on Young for Corral because he values athleticism more than Reich and that’s a terrible argument. I really hate when it looks like I’m defending Rhule because the other argument’s facts are bad.

Second, it’s OK to say you were wrong. No matter how you are trying to spin athleticism into ability or skill, Mingo and Johnson are absolutely not in the  college All American bucket. They are in the athletic/potential bucket not the proven college player bucket. Saying Johnson isn’t raw and already knows what to do as a pro is wrong and look at Mingo not running through a great pass by Young that caused an incompletion. What’s the one thing Mingo did that drew raves? Take a short pass and bounce off a defender and get extra yards. That’s not route running, that’s athletic potential to create those YAC. Sorry again but our day 2 picks under Reich were absolutely about athleticism and potential just like what you said Rhule did that was always wrong.

Edited by WhoKnows
  • Pie 2

Just now, WhoKnows said:

First, comparing a 3rd round pick to the 1st overall is nonsense. If that’s driving your argument then it’s very weak. Also, Corral had 8287 career passing yards to Young’s 8356. Production wise they were closer than draft pick wise. Everyone knows Young was a better college QB. It’s not debatable but you are insinuating Rhule would have passed on Young for Corral because he values athleticism more than Reich is a terrible argument. I really hate when it looks like I’m defending Rhule because the other argument facts are bad.

Second, it’s OK to say you were wrong. No matter how you are trying to spin athleticism into ability or skill, Mingo and Johnson are absolutely not in the  college All American bucket. They are in the athletic/potential bucket not the proven college player bucket. Saying Johnson isn’t raw and already knows what to do as a pro is wrong and look at Mingo not running through a great pass by Young that caused an incompletion. What’s the one thing Mingo did that drew raves? Take a short pass and bounce off a defender and get extra yards. That’s not route running, that’s athletic potential to create those YAC. Sorry again but our day 2 picks under Reich were absolutely about athleticism and potential just like what you said Rhule did that was always wrong.

Oy 🙄

Yes, believe it or not guys that are picked in different rounds who play the same position can in fact be compared with regard to skill set, physical differences and other things.

I'd add that your second paragraph pretty much shows you're not understanding the argument, so... 😕

1 hour ago, joemac said:

Is that what we are now?  Small ball, quick passing offense?  From the small sample size of the preseason, it seems like we're going to be pretty aggressive in the intermediate portion of the field.  We didn't see one true deep shot with Bryce in the game.  Wouldn't surprise me if we attempt a true deep shot on one of the first couple series against Atlanta. 

I mean, that’s what Bryce Young does well.    That’s what he translates too in the NFL IMO.  I mean, it doesn’t mean you literally never go deep.  But yeah, he isn’t going to be a play action attack deep QB.  He ideally would be attacking you short to intermediate.     That’s the small ball game.  

1 minute ago, Mr. Scot said:

Oy 🙄

Yes, believe it or not guys that are picked in different rounds who play the same position can in fact be compared with regard to skill set, physical differences and other things.

I'd add that your second paragraph pretty much shows you're not understanding the argument, so... 😕

Lol, you literally can’t be wrong. Your argument was Rhule likes athletes and Reich likes production. That’s almost word for word in your first post and you compared Young to Corral.

Sorry man, trying to compare a 3rd round QB to the first overall pick is dumb. It just is, especially since Corral isn’t Anthony Richardson. Corral had 70 yards less than Young and those two had almost triple AR’s production. Saying Rhule would have taken AR is a potentially valid argument but Rhule didn’t trade up for Malik Willis, did he?

Love your response that I didn’t understand your argument. You already moved your goalposts and are still wrong. Mingo and Johnson are very much athlete and not proven college producers. Mingo has not shown great route running, just a flash of athletic potential to get YAC. I don’t even know if I’ve seen him make a play yet but when he was picked he sure wasn’t discussed in here as if he was a proven college player. He was discussed as being athletic and having potential.

I’m sure you’ll reply because you truly can’t be wrong but I’m done with this argument. If you can’t see your mistakes here, you never will.

• Pie 3

1 hour ago, shaqattaq said:

Sam Franklin - Temple

Sam Tecklenburg - Baylor

Sam Franklin is a legit Special teams gunner, so props where they're due.

If nothing else, we can hang our hat on the fact that Rhule got us a pro bowl caliber Special teams gunner.

• Pie 4

2 hours ago, Wundrbread33 said:

I think Tremble has been misused from the jump.

His ND tape is a lead blocking wet dream with a few catches throw in. 

He’s never been used that way. 

Or maybe he has sucked blocking NFL players and just beat up on college guys. 

He's a really athletic FB. Unfortunately for him the FB position has largely gone the way of the dodo. Very few teams carry a dedicated FB. Most just have a TE on the roster who can fill in at FB in the few formations they have in the playbook that calls for a FB.

• Pie 1