• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

The Athletic: Insight to Brian Burns Contract

Saca312

8 hours ago, Mage said:

Because a player doesn't give a crap about that.  To think Brian Burns would magically be willing to take less money if a team never tried to trade for him is dumb as hell.

Are you telling me you would accept 7 million less dollars per year if a team didn't try and trade for you?  How does that make financial sense to you? 

Some of you are so upset we didn't trade him that you are saying stuff that doesn't make any sense.  Again, no team has reportedly offered 2 1sts for Chris Jones, and yet he's still holding out.  It literally makes no difference to the player.  Burns was going to keep his eyes on the Nick Bosa situation regardless.

People keep repeating that it's like they haven't actually thought about it.

1 hour ago, tukafan21 said:

Did you mean to quote someone else with this response?

Because I'm literally saying the Panthers should be the ones to bite the bullet and sign a deal they don't want to, not Burns.  The "we" I was referring to was clearly the team, not as if I was speaking for Burns.

My point was that once we turned that down, it was a clear signal to Burns that we would need to meet more at his end than the other, he knew he had the team screwed at that point.

I feel like he quoted the wrong person lol. 

6 hours ago, Castavar said:

And if we're being honest, I would 100% rather have Crosby. He dominated as a pass rusher, AND had a 82.5 run-defense grade that ranked third among qualifying edge defenders. I thinks it's actually amusing Burns thinks he deserve to be paid more than Crosby.

Wow. Crosby had a half sack less but way more tackles, solo tackles, TFLs and QB hits. If he’s that good against the run, that’s another level. Bosa’s stats for being out for an entire season are another level above that.

Drunk spitballing, no gts as to stats & players available, yet… how’d we have looked doing both the Burns trade to LA & still moving up for Young? Not looked as in opinion but on picks & who could’ve been had in FA. 

Burns just seems to be riding the glory of a highlight player on a small market team, context is skewed… it’s potential vs reality.. like potentially a 15 sack season is awesome, but reality has shown 7:15 of Hardy’s sacks came in the last 2 games… they’re 2 different players, their strengths are different but my point remains… Burns is a want, not a need… 

7 hours ago, j2sgam said:

Drunk spitballing, no gts as to stats & players available, yet… how’d we have looked doing both the Burns trade to LA & still moving up for Young? Not looked as in opinion but on picks & who could’ve been had in FA. 

Burns just seems to be riding the glory of a highlight player on a small market team, context is skewed… it’s potential vs reality.. like potentially a 15 sack season is awesome, but reality has shown 7:15 of Hardy’s sacks came in the last 2 games… they’re 2 different players, their strengths are different but my point remains… Burns is a want, not a need… 

First, we’d probably have a talented rookie TE to go with Mingo from pick 36. A small trade up from there and we could have taken our #2 rated TE. Heck it wouldn’t have been a far move to get Kincaid in front of Buffalo.

Second, we’d still have a 2024 1st, probably better than the pick we’ll give to Chicago and we’d have 2 2025 1st round picks. Basically our full set of picks in 2024/2025 plus an extra 1st. We could have signed two $12-15M FAs with Burns’ cap space. I would have gone after the FAs in 2024 when I think we’ll be in a better place with $16M 5th year money rolled over as well.

That said, Burns is a Panther or else we made a ridiculous mistake.

9 hours ago, j2sgam said:

Hardy could stop the run though. Burns gets taken out of run plays by TEs which leaves their OL to take our LBs out. This is a big reason you see us get gashed in the run game over and over. A top tier Edge should not be getting blocked 1 on 1 by a TE.

9 hours ago, j2sgam said:

Burns just seems to be riding the glory of a highlight player on a team that hasn't a history of winning back-to-back seasons, context is skewed… it’s potential vs reality.. like potentially a 15 sack season is awesome, but reality has shown 7:15 of Hardy’s sacks came in the last 2 games… they’re 2 different players, their strengths are different but my point remains… Burns is a want, not a need… 

fixed that for you.

we have disproved the "small market" comments often. It's not true.

12 hours ago, SOJA said:

this isn't madden yall. Burns has all the leverage here. Someone will pay him more money that Crosby. It's literally how the league works. Records contracts get broken all the time

I mean, there is always someone willing to do something dumb.  Doesn't mean it's correct.  And more times than not, stuff that looks really dumb often turns out to be that more times than not in the NFL.