• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Holding out while still under contract

Jmac

This isn't about the "the one who shall not be named", but a general question. How do you feel about the whole 'holding out while under contract' scenerio.

Shouldn't the player honor the contract signed?  Or try and renegotiate without the threat of a hold out?

Opinions please

I think it's the player's prerogative, particularly when it comes to rookie contracts that are slotted and that a player can potentially outperform. If a team can decide that someone is overpaid and cut them, why can't they decide they're underpaid and try their won tactic?

That said, it applies most clearly when someone's perfomrance is consistently on a tier or two above their current contract. If they signed a top-end deal and are griping about it in 2 years, I feel that that is a different story.

• Pie 2

Do the team cut them with a contract? Why do the players always have to do things the team don't?

The the has Billions the players Millions so I'ma side with the players, pay them or let them go to a team that will.  

As soon as they are of no use to the NFL they will be kicked to the side with no after though.

7 minutes ago, philw5289 said:

I don’t blame burns for holding out considering we can terminate the contract whenever we see fit. I’m more annoyed by fitterer A. Not trading him for two 1s and B. Not having a deal done this summer 

5th year option is 100% guaranteed so long as he shows up.  

• Pie 2