• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Bryce Young needs to ride the bench this season. Let him learn behind Dalton before it's too late.

jasonluckydog

The Red Rifle is shot and we've mortgaged the future of the franchise on a physically limited but supposedly super NFL ready QB.

I just don't see any benefit to letting him "sit and learn". Learn what? The biggest thing he has to do is adjust to the speed and complexity of the NFL game in real time on the field. Gotta play to do that. You aren't learning that on the sideline.

11 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

It is true that It used to be the norm, but you have to go kinda far back to see it.

It's been much more of a rarity for probably the last twenty years or so (and I'm just estimating).

Not really. Mahomes is the most recent. Love sat behind Rodgers and didn't look bad yesterday but it's too early to tell if that's an anomaly. 

And what do you think is going to happen to Young? He's going to be psychologically damaged to the point where he is useless for the rest of his career? Or are you afraid he's going to be injured and permanently ruined that way?

Please everyone stop saying something like this "we won 7 games last season, so now with Young we should win more games." Stop. Starting a rookie QB is a messy affair. You're looking at rookie QB mistakes like interceptions missed open targets. That alone will decide most games, and Young is going to make those kind of mistakes a lot as a rookie.

We might win a few more games with Dalton's noodle arm and more experience, but are we really going anywhere that will lead to a trophy with grandpa Dalton? No. We're taking our medicine with Young now, and I have no objections. I agree. Now why we didn't trade Burns during this learning phase for Young comes down to GM error. Better to have 2 firsts and a second for the future once Young is up to speed, or Young flops we have the juice to replace him easily in the draft. Now is not the time for expensive defensive veterans. Makes no sense. This is the learning phase, so keep the defense young, and then they mature with Young. But at any rate, everyone's job is now tied to Young. If he doesn't develop, then everyone is getting fired. 

• Pie 2

5 minutes ago, SmokinwithWilly said:

Not really. Mahomes is the most recent. Love sat behind Rodgers and didn't look bad yesterday but it's too early to tell if that's an anomaly. 

Love and Rodgers is kind of...different. High picks starting from the get-go is pretty much the norm these days.

Ironically enough though, our current head coach is an example of someone who was meant to start while a rookie learned. Reich was supposed to help Kerry Collins ease into the NFL, but the staff panicked during an early bad game and threw Collins into the fire.

You might say that didn't work out so well 😕

But now Reich's the guy choosing to start Young immediately. So I guess we'll see...

Edited by Mr. Scot
  • Beer 1

I don't see the point. He's not the raw prospect type that needs to get an understanding up the complexities of NFL game. That's supposed to be his strength.  He's a rookie. He needs to take his lumps. They are coming regardless of how long he sits and watches.

Rodgers and Love were behind behind HOF QBs