• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Bryce Young arm strength and elasticity

NAS

21 minutes ago, Seltzer said:

Bryce is near the bottom of the list of concerns.  He made a couple of bad decisions, but when you're a rookie making your first start on the road and dealing with a receiving group that absolutely could not separate, how could you not trying to make something happen.  His arm is fine.  And his decision making for the most part.  Lack of full speed reps showed big time yesterday with timing.

No worries about offensive line, either.  No line is going to look perfect down 2 TD's in the 4th in obvious passing situations.

Anyway, yesterday was obviously disappointing, but most of it can be attributed to turnovers.

The 2 things that concern me:

1) Passing game has to make substantial improvements to have any chance

2) Secondary depth is yet again a concern.

That being said, our defense and the offensive line looked too good to just write the season off.  

Receivers have to be better, and they have to be schemed better. Bottom line.  

If guys get open, Bryce will find them.  I know he missed Mingo on the go route, but it was the right read and it goes back to timing.  Bryce certainly did not look lost out there at all.

This is the best post I've seen since the game.
It really looked like we handily won the trenches until the turnovers started to pile up, which seemed to have worn the defense down or killed their spirit.

The picks were bad, but I actually like that they happened in the same way and early on.  Bryce is a bright guy and I don't think it will remain a habit.

I really like the clock in Bryce's head - its obvious he's well aware of the amount of pressure he is on any given play and he moves extremely well in the pocket to extend plays.  One thing that always bothered me about Cam was his habit to always bail the pocket on a spin move, then run backwards and rollout.  When it worked it worked, but sometimes Cam would get hit behind the pocket and take sacks for -10 or more yards which killed drives.

I liked Bryce's decisiveness - even when throwing the ball away.  The lack of late game urgency really doesn't concern me yet.  Really felt like the team decided to toss this one away and use it as a learning experience after the third turnover.

What I really did not like seeing was the issues getting the call in and getting to the line.  There was confusion on some plays as well - the fumble involving hubbard comes to mind, flagged for invalid play formation, avoidable delay of game penalties and burned timeouts. The offense has a lot to clean up at the skill positions.

• Pie 5

4 hours ago, Seltzer said:

Bryce is near the bottom of the list of concerns.  He made a couple of bad decisions, but when you're a rookie making your first start on the road and dealing with a receiving group that absolutely could not separate, how could you not trying to make something happen.  His arm is fine.  And his decision making for the most part.  Lack of full speed reps showed big time yesterday with timing.

No worries about offensive line, either.  No line is going to look perfect down 2 TD's in the 4th in obvious passing situations.

Anyway, yesterday was obviously disappointing, but most of it can be attributed to turnovers.

The 2 things that concern me:

1) Passing game has to make substantial improvements to have any chance

2) Secondary depth is yet again a concern.

That being said, our defense and the offensive line looked too good to just write the season off.  

Receivers have to be better, and they have to be schemed better. Bottom line.  

If guys get open, Bryce will find them.  I know he missed Mingo on the go route, but it was the right read and it goes back to timing.  Bryce certainly did not look lost out there at all.

Said it before in another thread, worth repeating.

My biggest concern is we looked best early and significantly worse as the game went on.  All I really care about is seeing improvement game by game.  Having some confirmation that the trajectory is positive.  Panthers teams fading is nothing new to the fans even if the players and coaches are.  

15 hours ago, BrianS said:

You know who else doesn't have a great arm?  Brock Purdy.  Jimmy G.  Tua.  Mac Jones.  Ok arms, but they get the job done.

It won't be his arm strength that's the problem.

Tua has a cannon he gets a weird rep because he’s left handed. He was throwing absolute bombs to Tyreek Hill against the Chargers. Someone made a YouTube video flipping the screen to make it look like he is right handed and he looks like a completely different QB. 

27 minutes ago, hepcat said:

Tua has a cannon he gets a weird rep because he’s left handed. He was throwing absolute bombs to Tyreek Hill against the Chargers. Someone made a YouTube video flipping the screen to make it look like he is right handed and he looks like a completely different QB. 

His arm strength was considered average coming out of college.  I remember people questioning the decision to trade for Hill because they doubted Tua could get those deep balls to him.  It just shows all you need is average arm strength and good timing/rhythm to hit those deep passes.  There is no reason Young can't do the same.  

• Pie 1

53 minutes ago, hepcat said:

The kernel in this instance is that Tua does not have top-end arm strength. That means he can't generate the same velocity on his throws that some other quarterbacks can (Mahomes, Herbert, Allen etc...). He probably possesses somewhere between NFL average and bottom-third arm strength

I agree with you @hepcat just many others across the league do not.

7 hours ago, Call Me James said:

He’s been unimpressive for a number one over all pick so far.

his physical traits were always something we questioned and folks were told his mental acuity would be the difference maker.

let’s just see how he turns out. We’re stuck with this project for at least 2 more years.

I'm not trying to be mean, but I don't think you know what you're talking about here.  This wasn't Cam throwing to Steve Smith or Greg Olsen or hell even Brandon LaFell out there.  Guys were not getting open, plain and simple.  

If you're going to make statements like this, you need film to back it up.  Bryce tried to fit a couple of balls in extremely tight coverage and paid for it.  But you know why he was even attempting that throw- b/c literally no one was getting separation.

You have the right to say whatever nonsensical things you want to say.  But expect some push back b/c this is sheer ignorance.

If you want to dump Bryce after one game (and especially a game where his receivers probably got the least separation of any group in the league), go ahead, but I can't take anything you write on here serious going forward.

• Pie 2

55 minutes ago, Seltzer said:

I'm not trying to be mean, but I don't think you know what you're talking about here.  This wasn't Cam throwing to Steve Smith or Greg Olsen or hell even Brandon LaFell out there.  Guys were not getting open, plain and simple.  

If you're going to make statements like this, you need film to back it up.  Bryce tried to fit a couple of balls in extremely tight coverage and paid for it.  But you know why he was even attempting that throw- b/c literally no one was getting separation.

You have the right to say whatever nonsensical things you want to say.  But expect some push back b/c this is sheer ignorance.

If you want to dump Bryce after one game (and especially a game where his receivers probably got the least separation of any group in the league), go ahead, but I can't take anything you write on here serious going forward.

Im not even dumping on him. I supported the pick and still do. Doesn’t change the fact that he doesn’t have elite arm strength.

from his predraft:

Arm strength and deep ball accuracy are good, not great, and he tends to make too many throws from an unbalanced base -- simply because he's a very natural thrower -- that may not have enough juice to get to the intended target in the NFL. 

having watched everyone of his snaps as a panther there’s no denying that he’s had some issues with some of these throws in tight windows.

we saw it in preseason and we saw it yesterday.

in the preseason we wrote it off as him trying to make throws he normally wouldn’t because the coaches want him to try it.

it just looks like something that doesn’t come naturally to him because he doesn’t have the type of arm that makes it that easy.

as far as being stuck with him, well that’s just the truth and folks need to understand he’s going to be he so folks like yourself and folks looking to get rid of him need to relax and just let it play out.

with regard to the guys not getting open, no poo, we put together a rag tag group of receivers. That’s not going to change, so he’s going to have to learn to make those throws or our offense is going to struggle. 

don’t be so sensitive and try and be a tough guy too

Edited by Call Me James

15 minutes ago, Call Me James said:

Im not even dumping on him. I supported the pick and still do. Doesn’t change the fact that he doesn’t have elite arm strength.

from his predraft:

Arm strength and deep ball accuracy are good, not great, and he tends to make too many throws from an unbalanced base -- simply because he's a very natural thrower -- that may not have enough juice to get to the intended target in the NFL. 

having watched everyone of his snaps as a panther there’s no denying that he’s had some issues with some of these throws in tight windows.

we saw it in preseason and we saw it yesterday.

in the preseason we wrote it off as him trying to make throws he normally wouldn’t because the coaches want him to try it.

it just looks like something that doesn’t come naturally to him because he doesn’t have the type of arm that makes it that easy.

as far as being stuck with him, well that’s just the truth and folks need to understand he’s going to be he so folks like yourself and folks looking to get rid of him need to relax and just let it play out.

with regard to the guys not getting open, no poo, we put together a rag tag group of receivers. That’s not going to change, so he’s going to have to learn to make those throws or our offense is going to struggle. 

don’t be so sensitive and try and be a tough guy too

I think hes still trying to figure out the kinda windows he can fit balls into in the NFL.  Its not like he played a ton of snaps in preseason.  Gonna be the same kinda thing Manning and Lawrence experienced their rookie years.  Its a learning process to figure out the things you can get away with at this level vs. college. 

• Pie 1