• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Bryce Young amongst the best at not throwing “Interception Worthy” passes

Varking

Just now, LinvilleGorge said:

I just want to remind you that you TRASHED Teddy Bridgewater for playing exactly like Bryce has played so far. I remember. What changed? At least I'm consistent. I trashed Teddy for being a super conservative physically limited checkdown king and I'm trashing Bryce for being a super conservative physically limited checkdown king.

If Bryce is still playing like this his 4th year in the league then we can talk. He hasn’t even played his 4th game yet. 

• Pie 3

1 minute ago, AceBoogie said:

If Bryce is still playing like this his 4th year in the league then we can talk. He hasn’t even played his 4th game yet. 

Yeah, most young QBs make mistakes early in their career recalibrating the risks they can take as they make the jump from college to the NFL. Bryce threw two picks then just stopped taking any risks.

That Stat is almost meaningless when so many of his throws are 5 yards or less. 

The problem is he just almost doesn't even try to throw down the field. Many have blamed the o line and Reich but we saw a so called washed backup qb do it vs Seattle with the same players mostly

If we keep seeing these stupid ass screens that don't work despite us being 0-4 going on 0-5, then there is some sort of very serious problem with either Bryce being way too risk averse or with Reich making him be that way through playcalls.  Prob really a mix of both. 

• Beer 1

Bryce needs time in the NFL. He is praised for his brain and being super smart. That means he has the ability to learn. And with that ability I believe he will one day be a pretty good QB for us. Maybe not tomorrow or next week but eventually he will figure it out he just needs time. He wasn't blessed with ultra athletic ability or prototypical NFL height and weight or a rocket arm. He has the ability to process information and learn and that's exactly what he's doing.

He's completed 20+ passes 3 games in a row. Yes they have been shorter throws and he hasn't taken a ton of risks and he probably isn't going too. They are trying to be smart with the football and minimize mistakes/turnovers. Part of that will be less shots taken and missed opportunities down field. You can argue that's the wrong approach and they need to at least try and open things up but for whatever reason they felt this was what gave them the best opportunity to win. I'm telling you guys I know it sucks to have to be patient but these guys just need time together on the field. It's not always going to be pretty we just have to hope Bryce is able to learn, grow, and develop his game through out this season.

The problem is not that he doesn't go over the top, the problem is IF he can't.

I am a lot more worried about the lack of zip on the short passes. I would not be surprised if everyone of Cam's 8 yards out lazers, exactly at the first down marker, was interception worthy. But it arrived in the receivers hands so fast there was impossible even for a great corner, in perfect position anticipating the play, to get there.

And when the field gets crowded in the red zone, you need a lot more zip than he has shown.

I am not worried about his head, touch throws or general accuracy. I think all these will be, at least, slightly above average league starters. But without velocity on the ball he will never be a building piece of anything better than a 500 team that might sneak out a 10 win season with a wildcard victory over fourth year (riding a great defense).

I really hope I am wrong!

17 hours ago, kungfoodude said:

Mac Jones is trash.

Early on Howell looks like he will never be anything but an INT machine. 

Howell is basically a more athletic Heinike. Thinking back on Ron's "I didn't know he was this good" comment I would think the thinking in his head was "in practice he fugs up every fourth throw, now he made 20 straight without it. I didn't know he was that good". Fast forward to now and law of averages has shown it was just a coincidence.

Still this is great for entertainment, and the commanders has become my favorite team to watch this season. 

3 hours ago, CPF4LIFE said:

If you seriously think anybody is about to wait till year 4 then i got some land to sell you.

Right? Sam Darnold got 3 seasons and was one year older than Bryce Young is now when the Jets told him to kick rocks. Idk where he is getting 4 years from. Bryce has this season and next to show some off some unequivocal top overall pick level play. Hopefully he does.

• Beer 1

5 hours ago, CPF4LIFE said:

If you seriously think anybody is about to wait till year 4 then i got some land to sell you.

Plus if he’s playing like this in year 4, this place will be a ghost town. We may see that in several weeks if we can’t take a couple from Houston, Indy and Chicago.