• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Albert Breer on Reich, Tepper, Fitterer and Ben Johnson

Mr. Scot

2 hours ago, Mr. Scot said:

Gotta take it in context with the other reports to put it all together.

Breer explains that it worked for Kraft because he "figured it out", i.e. learned how to push for results while also keeping his hands off the actual operation.

His take is that Tepper hasn't figured that out yet.

Most of these owners are ass, this ain’t a Tepper issue and shouldnt stop this team from winning football games 

https://sports.yahoo.com/cardinals-employees-accuse-michael-bidwill-of-creating-toxic-culture-of-fear-per-report-173855700.html

8 minutes ago, countryboi said:

Most of these owners are ass, this ain’t a Tepper issue and shouldnt stop this team from winning football games 

https://sports.yahoo.com/cardinals-employees-accuse-michael-bidwill-of-creating-toxic-culture-of-fear-per-report-173855700.html

Right now, Tepper is one of those "ass" owners.

Bidwill is in a class of his own, though.

1 hour ago, thennek said:

Understand but the reason why the Panthers continue to lose is because of his meddling. These coaches can’t win because he meddles and then screams at them because they are not winning. .

The term "meddling" keeps getting thrown out but no specifics can ever be presented. I'm just as upset as everyone else that our team is toilet water right now but Tepper isn't out there calling 50 screens a game or failing in free agency. We can blame him for hiring the wrong guys (Scott and Frank) but that's the extent of his culpability. The bright side is that he has shown he's willing to throw money at coaches and wants to win. The hope is that eventually we'll land on the right GM/HC combo if we keep trying. 

I know everyone hates just how involved Tepper is and yes most of his decisions haven't turn out good so far, but we can at least appreciate the fact that Tepper seems to genuinely want to bring a consistent winner to the city and has shown that he's not afraid to open up the check book and make big moves in order to try and get this thing right. 

• Pie 1

28 minutes ago, The Natural said:

The term "meddling" keeps getting thrown out but no specifics can ever be presented. I'm just as upset as everyone else that our team is toilet water right now but Tepper isn't out there calling 50 screens a game or failing in free agency. We can blame him for hiring the wrong guys (Scott and Frank) but that's the extent of his culpability. The bright side is that he has shown he's willing to throw money at coaches and wants to win. The hope is that eventually we'll land on the right GM/HC combo if we keep trying. 

What I hear is a guy who is desperate to win now and is pressuring his GM and coaches to do that.

That will 100% influence the roster building strategy those guys employ. Probably influencing play calling as well.

instead of being patient and building the team the right way, these guys are making Hail Mary trades and signing high risk / high reward FAs.

I ran into this same thing Tepper is doing in my career. I had 20 years in, he made a ton of dough in the video rental biz sold out to Blockbuster way back. 
So now he wants to get int9 what I do, freaking disaster. He with the gold makes the rules, even if he doesn’t know what he is doing. 

You have to watch them make every mistake that you have already made and learned from, but they will not listen. Have to see for themselves, because they they think they know more than people doing it their whole lives. 

6 hours ago, Waldo said:

Didn't he win those with the coach and lots of players he inherited with the purchase in 1989 and then kicked him out and then started the SB drought after those 3 wins?

Jerry Jones bought the Cowboys in early 1989.  The 1988 Cowboys had an outdated Tom Landry as HC, Steve Peleur as QB, the RB was a post-USFL Herschel Walker, and the defense was led by aging veterans with one foot out of the NFL door, Too Tall Jones, Randy White, Everson Walls.

To the 1988 teams credit, they *did* have an excellent rookie WR: Michael Irvin.

Jones fired Landry and hired Jimmy Johnson.  They drafted Troy Aikman in 1989 and Emmit Smith in 1990.  Won the 1993 and 1994 Super Bowls.  After that Johnson wanted more control over personnel and Jones wouldn't give it to him, they had a war of words in the press and eventually they went their separate ways mutually.  Johnson then went on to the Miami Dolphins for four years where he was given total personnel control which resulted in an overall record of 36-28 in four seasons, never winning the AFC (or even the AFC East for that matter), and resigning from the Dolphins position after 4 years.

After Jimmy Johnson, Jones hired Barry Switzer as HC, winning the 1995 Super Bowl, and remaining the head coach for four seasons.

So I would say the only accurate thing you said in your statement was "then started the SB drought after those 3 wins" which is true.

• Beer 1

4 hours ago, toldozer said:

That's before he booted the coach/gm bc he could do it better

Nope.

The reason Jones and Johnson went their separate ways is because Johnson demanded that Jones hand over total personnel control to him and Jones refused to do so.

Johnson then went to the Miami Dolphins where he was given 100% control... and he failed.

• Pie 1