• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Albert Breer on Reich, Tepper, Fitterer and Ben Johnson

Mr. Scot

1 minute ago, The Natural said:

Keeping pressure on people to perform is entirely different from actively controlling football operations. I don't think Tepper is running our draft, FA, and calling plays. Sure, he's probably an asshole to work for but not once have I been given the impression that he's a puppet master.

Is it working? Are guys with long NFL careers suddenly looking completely incompetent working for him? Does it look like the same clown show even though the people in the positions are a revolving door?

I mean, at some point you gotta start connecting the dots.

• Pie 2
  • Beer 1
  • Flames 1

32 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

Is there anyone left who still want to try to pretend that Tepper isn't constantly meddling?

There is a huge difference between meddling (and I take it you mean making decisions etc.) and keeping the heat on underperforming employees. He should keep the heat on Reich as this season has been a disaster so far and Reich and the dream team is significantly underperforming in the coaching department.

I don’t like meddling, but this article seemed to be about accountability and keeping the heat in underperforming employees.

• Pie 3

6 minutes ago, Martin said:

There is a huge difference between meddling (and I take it you mean making decisions etc.) and keeping the heat on underperforming employees. He should keep the heat on Reich as this season has been a disaster so far and Reich and the dream team is significantly underperforming in the coaching department.

I don’t like meddling, but this article seemed to be about accountability and keeping the heat in underperforming employees.

It's working 1000%. We just can't see it yet.

Maybe David Tepper needs to understand that accountability starts in the mirror.

• Beer 1

People think Tepper is treating the team the way Jerry Jones does the cowboys. Tepper meeting with the coach every Monday isn’t new and he did it with Ron and Matt. He has a brash personality and it rubs off the wrong way. Has he been perfect, far from it but there are little things he’s done that go by the wayside. If we were winning no one would care, heck there are people talking trash about Harris in DC for not firing Ron and claiming “he doesn’t care”.

• Pie 2

34 minutes ago, toldozer said:

I mean Jerry Jones has finally put together a decent team.  We only have to wait like 22 more years and he'll eventually make some good decisions as acting gm

Dallas Cowboys under Jerry Jones ownership have also won 3 Super Bowls, so I think the equivalency here isn’t very accurate.

I don’t think an owner asking his coaches and administration why they suck ass and meeting with them to understand what is going on is “ meddling” - like someone said it’s holding your employees, highly paid employees, accountable. 

meddling would be Fitt and Reich saying hey Tepp we don’t like BY as a prospect and we all agree that Stroud is better and want him and then Tepper telling Fitt to draft BY or he is fired. 

There is a rumor that Steve Smith hated Jeff Davidson and went whining to Richardson about him and Richardson told Davidson that if he ever spoke directly to Smith again that he would be fired. That is meddling. 

• Flames 2

I hope the Ben Johnson thing is true. That was one possible burned bridge that should have been left intact. The timing still looks suspect but ok. 

8 minutes ago, Wundrbread33 said:

This judging the owner stuff gets tiring. 

I’d like to pretend I know I wouldn’t “meddle” in Teppers shoes, but I don’t know that at all. 

I’d wager most of us, if we owned a professional sports franchise, would find it hard to not be involved. 

It can be true for ownership in any business. The biggest difference is that if Tepper keeps fugging up here he still makes profit hand over fist while most businesses would likely fold if this kind of product was being pumped out continuously. The NFL model insulates him and allows for decades of this kind of behavior with little real threat other than losing football games and fans, which just means their partners and competition are winning more games. 

Some people learn and others love a great power trip and being an NFL owner is up there in power tripping. I don't think acting professionally is easy but his professional background is also a mighty harsh one to deal with. 

• Pie 1

35 minutes ago, AU-panther said:

I'm not saying Tepper hasn't made mistakes, but this idea of meddling is getting a bit overblown, or at the very least meddling has a vary broad meaning based on who you talk to.

Calling a coach into your office to ask why he is 0-5, and expecting better, isn't meddling, its caring and holding an employee accountable.  

Playing GM and making every pick on draft day is meddling.  Deciding every free agent pick up is meddling.  Calling plays from the owners suite is meddling.

Any other owners and their wives going on scouting trips? I'm genuinely curious. 

• Pie 2