• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Who really wanted Young?

AU-panther

2 minutes ago, ClawOn said:

"AR15" is much bigger.  He's out 8 weeks. 

You're right, but the big QB argument was never a real point of contention for me, at least in terms of being a deciding factor. Now I'd be lying if I wasn't a little concerned about Bryce's ability to see  throwing lanes, but in the end I couldn't overlook all of his success in college. All that being said, I could see the benefits in Stroud also. He was more of a prototypical size, and a helluva passer. As for Richardson, I just didn't want him because he wasn't a particularly accurate passer, and he relied on his feet way too much in my opinion. I love Cam, but didn't want to relive Cam 2.0. But honestly, my posts weren't about my preference, but the preference of many in NFL circles. 

I always said that they had to get it right, and five games in people are rushing to judgment. What I don't like is how people are assuming that Bryce can't hack it, much less thrive in the NFL, and I think that there was a little CYA going on with Reich at this point also, which may make him ill-suited to actually bring out the best in Bryce Young. 

• Beer 2

1 hour ago, Mr. Scot said:

Possible, but not as believable given that Fitterer by nature is a consensus builder rather than a "run over everybody until they see it my way" type like Matt Rhule.

I keep going back to David Tepper's reaction at their dinner with Bryce Young, when he raved about how young broke down a particular play Reich asked him about. I remember e asked "who does that? Who goes into that much detail?"

Both Reich and Fitterer would likely have been able to site examples of having seen that before, but Tepper acted like it was something that had never been seen.

If there was a single moment that sold Tepper on Young, I think that was it.

I also vaguely remember reading that the S2 thing was a big deal to Tepper.

I think Reich liked Stroud, AR, and Young based on hearing him talk about several QBs that could be the top pick.  Fitt seemed to describe Young when he was talking about his ideal QB (yeah I know it was lying season).  I could see Reich preferring Stroud, but putting up little resistance when Fitt prefers Young.  Fitt has been a fan of trying to draft and develop our QB since he has been here.  He probably had an idea of which one he wanted for a while, plus the whole Russ size thing in Seattle.  Reich also wanted Carr so he probably wasn't too adamant about any particular player in the draft IMO.  

https://theathletic.com/4430449/2023/04/20/panthers-nfl-draft-bryce-young-s2-test/

Fitt on the S2

“Obviously, we use it so we believe in it. But it’s a tool. There’s a lot of different tools that we look at, analytics (and) everything else,” general manager Scott Fitterer said. “It all comes back to the tape. It’s the most important thing that we do when we watch and we evaluate. S2 is just another tool that we use. It is something that we believe in, though.”

Young also had some of the best tape.  His size translating to the NFL was his biggest concern.  The article also mentions Tepper probably loves the S2 since he is a big analytics guy.  

• Pie 1

I still find this topic a bit off. I could see if this were the situation where Levis was picked #1 because Carolina/Tepper/whoever was trying to outsmart the rest of the league, but we picked the guy that was the near consensus #1 prospect--who Houston or Indy would have picked if given the chance, which they tried to take with Chicago. If he doesn't work out, then maybe the NFL Scouting and Publicist Industrial Complex collapses right with the S2. Maybe they should collapse anyway because in two straight years, Willis and Levis cratered (ironically to Tennessee).

Most analysts seem surprised at both Bryce's and Stroud's current play, which means they didn't expect it. It'll be interesting to see reactions if/when Bryce has his "Tennessee game" from last year. Stroud has had a bunch of UGA games, but we'll see what happens when he has his "Northwestern game".

• Pie 1

G8

46 minutes ago, Varking said:

4-8. But when AR is in there he’s looked like a more confident passer than Bryce. He’s definitely flashed with some incredible wow throws in his short time playing. They should probably run him less going forward considering Moss and Taylor are both good. 

Gotta keep it consistent. Every Horn thread: "the best ability is availability"

8 minutes ago, ClawOn said:

G8

Gotta keep it consistent. Every Horn thread: "the best ability is availability"

I don’t think I’ve said anything to dispute that. I just pointed out we don’t know for sure if it’s 8 weeks and that he’s had the type of plays that wow you where Young hasn’t yet. And Richardson has had those moments on significantly less pass attempts. If you can’t play you aren’t helping your team. I’ve never suggested otherwise. So I’ve been keeping it consistent. 

• Poo 1

48 minutes ago, Martin said:

While I’m concerned about Bryce, at this point I’m probably even more concerned of the coaching staff and GM. We need a full clean up after this season and let Ben Johnson pick his own GM and have Tepper sign a contract to stay away.

We couldn't get Ben Johnson before we became a mess of a franchise over the last few months, 0% chance we'd be able to get him after this poo show if we were to fire Reich.

Seemed obvious to me at the time that he was passing on the HC opportunities this past offseason so he could try and get either the Chargers job next year or one of the HC openings from a team who will be in place to take a QB from this class.

1 hour ago, Swirly said:

My concern isn't so much who wanted Young or not. My concern is how much Tepper is meddling with everything. I want an owner who wants to own a football team and not an owner who always wanted to be a GM of a football team.

Tepper is always going to run this like he did his businesses.  He's the same way with the Charlotte FC. 

He's hands on, he's overbearing and involves himself in everything. If something goes wrong, he will chop heads at a snap of the fingers. 

He won't ever step back as that's how he runs things he owns. 

Just now, carpanfan96 said:

Tepper is always going to run this like he did his businesses.  He's the same way with the Charlotte FC. 

He's hands on, he's overbearing and involves himself in everything. If something goes wrong, he will chop heads at a snap of the fingers. 

He won't ever step back as that's how he runs things he owns. 

and there's two of them