• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Tanking as a strategy

NAS

You can't determine how many games you are going to win and lose, you can blame Fitt/Rhule/Tepp for treating an actual team like fantasy football or all out sports betting in real life though. These guys are so rich and isolated from reality. The richest will just fire the lower ones until someone gets lucky.  Shitty way to run an actual real life team but Tepper had the money and other owners were like yeah that guys an idiot, one leas team to worry about when it comes to playoffs

• Pie 1

3 hours ago, NAS said:

Look at the Broncos. 5 games in, they know they have to rebuild. They’re releasing and trading away assets in order to get the highest picks and best new players possible 

Even Vikings are doing the same knowing they need to move on from Cousins and start over.

Only dumb Tepper thinks he can have his cake and eat it too. Never embraced the strategy to go through one terrible season instead of 6 or 7.  Never hit the reset properly, and what do we have to show for it?

So many on this forum pooed on those of us who wanted to lose last year so we could get the best pick possible without trading away our future. Where are you now?

Yes, how many who pooed the tankers are also angry with what was given up in the trade to go to #1?

• Pie 9

Other than the Christan Painter led colts, can you please give a couple of example in which tanking really built a consistence winner?

Meanwhile the 49ers looks like the super bowl favorite with Mr. Irrelevant at the helm.

I'll argue, ironic enough, that the colts in 1997 was the last time this philosophy led to a Super bowl ring. 

There are plenty of roads to Rome, and even if we are not on one now shouting does not make the tanking one an obvious can't fail option.

Edited by Thorrez
  • Pie 1
  • Poo 1

Preach brotha. I'm a firm believer of tanking when you are not even close to superbowl caliber and your season is already in the drain. I was fully on board with the tank when we got rid of CMC. Should have continued with Burns and Brown and anybody else who could have gotten us a decent haul (including DJ).

Edited by Castavar
  • Pie 3

I struggle with the broad concept of tanking. The belief that you think a group of coaches and players, whose livelihood depends on performance, will collectively lose on purpose is irrational to me.  That said I cringed when people rant about coaches trying to win “meaningless” games. Games are not meaningless to guys that depend on the paycheck. 

However, an organization trading away assets and talent for future draft capital is different.  The FO and owner doing this and fielding a less competitive team in hopes of restocking the cupboard  makes more sense than the former.  I can wrap my head around  this approach a lot more easily.  

• Beer 1

29 minutes ago, Pejorative Miscreant said:

I struggle with the broad concept of tanking. The belief that you think a group of coaches and players, whose livelihood depends on performance, will collectively lose on purpose is irrational to me.  That said I cringed when people rant about coaches trying to win “meaningless” games. Games are not meaningless to guys that depend on the paycheck. 

However, an organization trading away assets and talent for future draft capital is different.  The FO and owner doing this and fielding a less competitive team in hopes of restocking the cupboard  makes more sense than the former.  I can wrap my head around  this approach a lot more easily.  

Tanking is a front office thing. You set the team up to fail. Admittedly it usually doesn't work out as planned. See the Cardinals this year. They are bad but way more competitive than they were supposed to be.

Players and coaches don't want to lose.

Edited by kungfoodude
  • Pie 2

5 hours ago, NAS said:

Look at the Broncos. 5 games in, they know they have to rebuild. They’re releasing and trading away assets in order to get the highest picks and best new players possible 

Even Vikings are doing the same knowing they need to move on from Cousins and start over.

Only dumb Tepper thinks he can have his cake and eat it too. Never embraced the strategy to go through one terrible season instead of 6 or 7.  Never hit the reset properly, and what do we have to show for it?

So many on this forum pooed on those of us who wanted to lose last year so we could get the best pick possible without trading away our future. Where are you now?

Last year? I was saying this after Cam, the NFL doesn’t work like this, and that this team would pay the price for Tepper and his path making cheat codes. Got a lot of poo for it too.

I’m willing to bet many huddlers actually need to be burned to not touch fire.

These fans usually check out right about now when the team sucks.

• Pie 2

13 minutes ago, onmyown said:

Last year? I was saying this after Cam, the NFL doesn’t work like this, and that this team would pay the price for Tepper and his path making cheat codes. Got a lot of poo for it too.

I’m willing to bet many huddlers actually need to be burned to not touch fire.

These fans usually check out right about now when the team sucks.

Yep.  We were saying in 2019 to tear this to the studs.   Others were saying this roster is good enough to compete and yet here we are still thinking this isn’t a rebuild.   

• Pie 2