• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

49er fans calling for wilks head!!

Sean Payton's Vicodin

Awesome dude and great defensive assistant/assistant HC but I thought he was a very flawed DC here before he got the Cards job so I'm not surprised 49ers fans aren't thrilled with him. Maybe we were just spoiled by McDermott, and Wilks wasn't as bad as Eric Washington, but still he wasn't great as a DC.

• Pie 3
  • Beer 2

2 hours ago, Day1PanthersFan said:

I would still take him over Reich 

I wouldn't.   Not because I dont think the team wouldn't be better.  I think we would probably have a couple wins.  Wilks reminds me of a Rivera.  A pretty solid average coach that the players love that we would stick with way too long to be average.  While Reich on the other hand it looks like may be replacable very soon.

19 minutes ago, methodtoll said:

......I feel like neither should be HCs and we should've gone the "young offensive mind" route. 

YES!  This was the correct way.    Steichen / Ben Johnson.    Obviously Ben Johnson spurning our advances might have changed our strategy. 

I don't think Wilks or Reich are the right man for a team that's building with a young QB in today's NFL.  

Wilks is a good DC though. He is not the problem in SF but he wouldn't be a savior here as HC.

8 hours ago, Ricky Spanish said:

The 6 man blitz looked like it worked. Not Wilks' fault that their vet CB got bodied by a skinny rookie WR on an underthrown ball right in the DB's hands.

No, it didn’t really work, Cousins was still able to get the ball well downfield.

There were 7 seconds left when Addison scored and Minnesota had no timeouts. That play was basically a Hail Mary and yet there wasn’t a single defender behind Addison and he was single covered. That’s a terrible call. Sorry, but it was the type of blitz play you see on a last play before the half or end of the game that usually works because it’s not easy to get a 60 yard TD on any attempt. The problem is that when the other team has one play left and no timeouts and 60 yards to go, there is no reason to blitz and single cover their best WR. If the blitz is picked up, you gave the offense a chance as we saw.

It was funny to hear the announcers skewer Wilks, but the DC is pretty much always skewered when they do something like that.

Edited by WhoKnows
  • Beer 1

38 minutes ago, t96 said:

Awesome dude and great defensive assistant/assistant HC but I thought he was a very flawed DC here before he got the Cards job so I'm not surprised 49ers fans aren't thrilled with him. Maybe we were just spoiled by McDermott, and Wilks wasn't as bad as Eric Washington, but still he wasn't great as a DC.

I think that’s a hard truth.

He found a perfect role here for Rivera running practices as his AHC/DBC. He’s got some great coaching abilities but from a game planning and playcalling standpoint, he’s definitely had his faults.

Also—We can’t be blind to the games we got steamrolled with him as interim. He was great for the moment but it doesn’t make him the hire that should have been. Reich was the wrong hire but that doesn’t mean it should’ve been Wilks.

• Pie 4

2 minutes ago, WhoKnows said:

No, it didn’t really work, Cousins was still able to get the ball well downfield.

There were 7 seconds left when Addison scored and Minnesota had no timeouts. That play was basically a Hail Mary and yet there wasn’t a single defender behind Addison and he was single covered. That’s a terrible call. Sorry, but it was the type of blitz play you see on a last play before the half or end of the game that usually works because it’s not easy to get a 60 yard TD on any attempt. The problem is that when the other team has one play left and no timeouts and 60 yards to go, there is no reason to blitz and single cover their best WR. If the blitz is picked up, you gave the offense a chance as we saw.

It was funny to hear the announcers skewer Wilks, but the DC is pretty much always skewered when they do something like that.

Honestly it was just a terrible call. If they play deep zone the best that could happen is a completed pass that runs them out of time for a field goal. What he called was the only way the Vikings would have even scored.  The call shouldn’t be defended. Media, analysts, their own head coach questioned it. I don’t know why anyone here would defend it other than just trying to defend Wilks. 

• Pie 1
  • Beer 2
  • Flames 1

7 hours ago, Eazy-E said:

Wonder how many 49er fans are calling for the team to trade Nick Bosa and/or complaining that they paid him.

Their defense got picked apart and the team had zero sacks. I’m sure there are a bunch of posts trashing Bosa and not Wilks right?

That can’t be right. Bosa is elite and always makes the play in critical moments and on 3rd downs. Unlike Burns. Did we trade him yet? He doesn’t finish plays, can’t stop the run, takes plays off, and just doesn’t care. Hennessy is cliche, and Spider-Man is stupid. 

If he wants elite money, then he should have (checks notes) 2.5 sacks like Bosa. 

• Pie 1
  • Flames 1

3 minutes ago, Varking said:

Honestly it was just a terrible call. If they play deep zone the best that could happen is a completed pass that runs them out of time for a field goal. What he called was the only way the Vikings would have even scored.  The call shouldn’t be defended. Media, analysts, their own head coach questioned it. I don’t know why anyone here would defend it other than just trying to defend Wilks. 

Exactly, I have no idea why people are defending Wilks. An opponent has 12 or so seconds left and 60 yards to go with no timeouts. The only way you give up a TD is if somehow their best WR gets behind coverage and makes a play. Not only was their best WR single covered, there was also no one deeper just in case.

I will say Ward also should have knocked the ball away. I don’t know why in some cases CBs don’t just knock the ball away. With that little time, you just have to keep the ball as far from the WR as possible. By trying to intercept the ball, he made it possible for the WR to grab it away or if he doesn’t catch it, he made it possible to somehow bounce around to the WR.

• Pie 1

1 minute ago, Wundrbread33 said:

That can’t be right. Bosa is elite and always makes the play in critical moments and on 3rd downs. Unlike Burns. Did we trade him yet? He doesn’t finish plays, can’t stop the run, takes plays off, and just doesn’t care. Hennessy is cliche, and Spider-Man is stupid. 

If he wants elite money, then he should have (checks notes) 2.5 sacks like Bosa. 

Bosa vs Burns isn’t even a debate. Burns has been more durable and that’s it. Bosa is a better rusher. He’s better against the run. Doesn’t require as much assistance to make a tackle and has sacked the QB more ( finishing plays ) than Burns despite 12 less games. Burns has gotten ten sacks once. Bosa went over 15 twice. 

• Pie 1

11 minutes ago, WhoKnows said:

Exactly, I have no idea why people are defending Wilks. An opponent has 12 or so seconds left and 60 yards to go with no timeouts. The only way you give up a TD is if somehow their best WR gets behind coverage and makes a play. Not only was their best WR single covered, there was also no one deeper just in case.

I will say Ward also should have knocked the ball away. I don’t know why in some cases CBs don’t just knock the ball away. With that little time, you just have to keep the ball as far from the WR as possible. By trying to intercept the ball, he made it possible for the WR to grab it away or if he doesn’t catch it, he made it possible to somehow bounce around to the WR.

For sure the DB could have made a better play but proper coaching doesn’t even put him in that position to begin with. 

• Beer 1