• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

PFF: Why the Carolina Panthers should trade for DeAndre Hopkins

TheSpecialJuan

26 minutes ago, tukafan21 said:

Not really, we could have afforded him if we waited on getting a #1 instead of giving Chark his contract.

Once we did that, we couldn't justify the cost plus lack of snaps it would have given TMJ and Mingo.

But now that we see TMJ is a total bust and Chark is kinda trash, it's different, particularly with how poor Bryce as looked, we need to get him improving THIS season and not wait till next.

We were out the second he said he wanted stable management. This franchise is pretty much the epitome of dysfunctional. 

• Pie 1

4 hours ago, LinvilleGorge said:

This team does not need to be trading draft assets for players on the wrong side of 30.

Theilan is the wrong side of 30, look what he has done. Sure Hopkins isn't in the long term plan, but if we said we want to help Bryce as much as possible, considering Hopkins isn't totally out of the question. Helping Bryce build personal success is important even if it doesn't lead to team wins. 

13 minutes ago, CarolinaRideorDie said:

Theilan is the wrong side of 30, look what he has done. Sure Hopkins isn't in the long term plan, but if we said we want to help Bryce as much as possible, considering Hopkins isn't totally out of the question. Helping Bryce build personal success is important even if it doesn't lead to team wins. 

We signed Thielen in free agency. We didn't trade valuable draft assets for him.

Now with that said if we're going to keep Fitts, then sure. Why not? He'll just piss those picks away anyway.

• Beer 2

On 10/25/2023 at 2:14 PM, TheSpecialJuan said:

One move I argued Carolina should have made in the offseason, and still makes sense, is trading for DeAndre Hopkins.

Panthers fans railed against this idea in the offseason, but the first seven weeks of the season have explained why it makes sense. No, Hopkins doesn’t make sense to pair with Young as a receiver-quarterback connection that can grow together and dominate the league for a decade. Sometimes, you just need viability while your signal-caller develops.

Andy Dalton showed how far away Young is from that when he came in and everything in the Panthers' offense worked better. Dalton has 15 years of veteran experience to draw upon to counter the disadvantages he’s dealing with in terms of supporting cast. Young doesn’t.

Hopkins would bring value to Young even as a short-term rental or a bridge option. — just somebody to throw to he can have confidence in.

Even if this was definitively a worse move for the Panthers now than it would have been in the offseason — when they didn’t have to give up any trade collateral — that isn't a reason to prevent them from going for it. The original opportunity is gone, but there is no sense in passing up the deal the second time around when it would still benefit the team.

There is a positive to doing it this way as well, though. While Carolina would now need to offer a draft pick to Tennessee to get Hopkins, they don’t have to pay him the full contract value that they would have had they signed him as a free agent.

The Titans have already paid Hopkins a near-$10 million signing bonus, and he is essentially playing this season for the veteran minimum in salary. One reason teams balked at the prospect of signing Hopkins in the offseason was the cost, and the Titans solved that problem for any team interested in trading for him now.

The question for those teams becomes: Is Hopkins, playing for the veteran minimum in salary cost, worth more than the draft pick needed to give up to acquire him?

For Carolina especially, the answer is yes.

https://www.pff.com/news/nfl-carolina-panthers-trade-deandre-hopkins-tennessee-titans

No! The Titan has no other real playmaking receivers on their squad as Burks is no AJ, not even close. We should trade for Jamo who also happens to be Bryce too choice with breakaway speed, not someone who is way past his prime.

which might cost us a high 3rd round at best.

2 hours ago, MechaZain said:

I get the hesitation to trade away more picks but they aren't all equal and shouldn't be treated as such. I think there's better odds of Old Man Hopkins making an impact than some late rounder. I'd trade a 5th without a second thought.

I would rather trade a player with no future here but you're not really wrong.

I just don't want them doing more damage and whatever gets them gone faster is what I wish for. I have no faith in this build either so I get the reality of the situation but I still want it to end the fastest way possible. The hope of a new GM alone is enough to not want to see any more picks pissed away a la Fritterer.

Edited by Waldo

he’s under contract for a few more seasons with only one semi-substantial cost-wise one next season

haven’t watched him play recently but if he’s still playing at a high level and Tennessee is giving him away then it makes a lot of sense

youre not going to get what he offers from whatever 6th round pick that fans pins so much of their hopes to, and Young needs to have the conviction that comes with a legitimate boundary receiver

youre not going to fix the roster in one offseason and these are the kind of moves a building team needs to look in on

Edited by Growl
  • Pie 1