• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

The "LAST TIME" you had true hope/hype coming into the season....

TheBigKat

Maybe 2019 that they could build a solid start on a 3-4 switch. Once they hired Rhule and I watched a video of him speaking I knew he was a dud and it didn't take them long to confirm that. Never had much since.

2015 was the last time I felt hopeful completely. That crashed by the time 2016 season was underway with Ron and DG in a pissing match and reverted back to expected mediocraty by 2017 and the return of Hurney.

For me, it was this season.  I was fully bought into the Frank Reich is a real coach, Bryce was the consensus #1 QB/pick, and our coaching staff was STACKED!  I guzzled that Kool Aid!!!

Welp....  I was pretty excited when we scored a 2nd touchdown Sunday.  We had a lead for 10 seconds!  LOL.

For me, the rest of the season is about Bryce's development and guys playing to prove they should remain.  

• Pie 1

2019 was the last time I was truly optimistic and expecting a playoff push. I had some cautious, reserved optimism for this year just because on paper all the moves seemed okay but the entire time there was something nagging at the bag of my head and I've come to realize that what that "thing" was is that I wasn't sold on Reich, our receiving core, and pretty much all of the team's depth pieces. I did not expect this level of implosion though, I don't think any besides the most extreme of pessimists did and I think it's fair to say that most of us were at least feeling MORE hopeful with the past off-season in conjunction with how 2022 ended on top of trading up to #1.

It's become abundantly clear that we have a severe ownership issue, something the vast majority of us were denying for many years as apart of what I can only assume was a collective defense mechanism in spite of the evidence hiding in plain sight.  It didn't even occur to me that a team constructed with such reckless abandon for how the personnel fit together could even make it onto an NFL field. It feels like a miracle that we even won a game. 

Remember how in 2020 we were making threads and posts about how Brees, Ryan and their respective team's cores were aging and that the division would be wide open in a few years if we played our cards right? Well, the division is certainly wide open alright. Just not for us, lol. 

Edited by beo
  • Pie 2

aside from this offseason when i bought the hype (and i'm totally fine with having finally feeling that optimism for just a moment even though it fell apart) i think i haven't really been stoked since 2015. that was a hard loss for me and i'm not sure i ever recovered from it.

• Pie 2

Honestly.  2020 was the last time I had hope. New coach…yea it was rhule but no one knew how bad it was going to get.  New ideas. Plus we had football after Covid BS lockdown. Then after 3 games I knew this was it for a long time. I had partial hope last year when we won games and got into playoff contention.   

I forgot how stacked our team was in 2019. That team was loaded. Just no QB with hurt cam. 

I have zero hope now. Nothing. The panthers don’t even get me excited. I remember the 03 years and beyond, every game had me in nerves. Now. Just nothing. 

Well, this year but I guess that wasn't really "true hype" more blind hype as I wasn't a fan of our coaching hire or choice of QB. So I'd say 2018.

2017 was a very good year and we got rid of what we thought was our biggest weakness at the time (Shula) and replaced him with a very highly regarded (as OC anyways) Norv Turner. Also would've easily beaten the Aints in the playoffs with better WRs and guess what, we go out and draft a legit WR in DJ and CMC was moving into clear every down back role. I was so damn pumped for 2018 and especially when we started the season 6-2. Then that fuging disaster of a Thursday night game vs the Steelers and Cam's shoulder injury ruined all our hopes and dreams. Man what a brutal brutal turn of events. After that game we lost 5 straight 1 score games that we easily would've won with a fully healthy Cam. That should've been a 12 win season. With Cam's health in question after that I haven't been truly hyped about this team since then.

• Pie 1