• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

If it looks like a duck, swims like a duck, and quacks like a duck...it's a duck.

Saca312

Took the words out of my mouth OP. Of course, we both hope he’s doing his best duck impersonation right now, but at this point, we have to assume he’s a duck until proven otherwise. 

We were sold “Peyton Manning big brain”, but it looks like that wasn’t the case. So what now? 

If AR and Levis aren’t mentally ready, it’s easy to wait. They are physical specimens.

But Young? Average is looking like his ceiling. 

What a time to be a panthers fan. 

• Pie 2

Sesame Street Idk GIF

I haven't watched enough games this year to say one way or the other.

Box Scores are saying he kind of sucks though.

If he hasn't improved at all over the course of the season, that is concerning. No idea if he sucks and will always suck or what. The situation he was put in was bad. If he gets some stability in the coaching staff with cohesive thoughts from top to bottom it might help. It might not.

We invested too much to throw the baby out with the bathwater just yet. We can't really move on from him next season, we'll have to see how well he plays in 2024-25 and reassess.

3 hours ago, kungfoodude said:

We don't even have to reset. All we have to do is start Dalton.

But our owner is too fuging retarded to do that. He'd rather nosedive this franchise even further into the abyss than make the right call and get out of the way. 

this. at this point in the season what do they have to lose? no pun intended

14 minutes ago, Bear Hands said:

9 TDs to 14 TOs

5.3 YPA (2nd lowest in NFL history behind J Russell)

58.5% completion

183 passing ypg

I gotta wonder when the broader media will start to see it's not just a situational thing.  He's playing downright bad football.  

After the next draft cycle when people tend to start forgetting the year before. It is a lot easier than saying 'I was wrong'. That or it will be 'they ruined him like Carr' and not he was also a bust like Carr, only one of those was ever true and Carr did a lot of that damage himself with his limitations.

Edited by Waldo
  • Pie 3

14 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

They still can't get over their previous narrative that this guy is some type of football savant. It's embarrassing watching them just keep repeating the "Bryce will be fine" mantra. Bryce will be fine based on what? Aside from pre-draft opinion what is anyone seeing on an NFL field to cling to?

I feel like this was one of the most monumental, universal-assumptions turned wrong in draft history.  "Oh no worries on the size, the kid's got 'it'.  No worries on the footwork, he's like a mini-Mahomes.  Oh no worries on his deep throws, he had that one against Kansas State".  He won 1 Cotton Bowl and beat UGA once.    

I know you and there were some writers out there that were concerned before we picked him, but it was such a small percentage.  It's just crazy how wrong it looks like everyone was.  The size was the biggest red flag ever and it was standing right in front of us.  It wasn't some work ethic or attitude thing.  He's basically the smallest QB in history.  

And I just can't get over the mechanics.  It's like he's untrained as even a competent college QB.  I just can't believe it was skimmed past so nonchalantly by all of these supposed ex-player or random All-22 QB inspectors on youtube.  Funny enough, the most damning critique has been by the one who was the most successful in Kurt Warner.        

• Pie 7

4 hours ago, BenjaminBreeg said:

Bryce has never been accurate on deep throws. During his best statistical year at Alabama, Bryce completed only 36.1% of passes 20 yards or longer. That is freaking atrocious. For comparison, Tua's completion rate at Alabama on passes 20 yards or longer was 57.1%, and Mac Jones' was 58%. 

Young's deep ball accuracy is not gonna suddenly and miraculously improve in the NFL, which begs the question: how in the world did our evaluators and scouts miss this giant red flag? I thought Tepper prides himself on using analytics, so how did they miss this?

20-yard throws Comp. Att. % Yards Y/A Y/C Drop
2021: Young 10 33 36.1% 416 12.6 41.6 9%
2020: Jones 29 50 58% 1,279 25.6 44.1 8%
2019: Tua 17 35 48.6% 659 18.8 38.8 3%
2018: Tua 24 42 57.1% 944 22.5 39.3 2%
Source: SECStatCat            

I noticed that when he throws “deep” many of the throws are uncatchable as they are 2 yards out of bounds. 

• Pie 2

Young has already got one HC fired. I really think Frank was trying to protect Young for some reason. Young seems like a really good dude so perhaps this makes it more difficult IDK. This offense is a Jimmy Clausen led offense bad.
I also think Frank took back the play calling back from Brown to protect Brown from Tepper. 
The Panthers are dysfunctional due to the owner and it is transferring to the coaches, scouts, GM, players and ultimately the field. 

• Pie 2

6 minutes ago, thennek said:

Young has already got one HC fired. I really think Frank was trying to protect Young for some reason. Young seems like a really good dude so perhaps this makes it more difficult IDK. This offense is a Jimmy Clausen led offense bad.
I also think Frank took back the play calling back from Brown to protect Brown from Tepper. 
The Panthers are dysfunctional due to the owner and it is transferring to the coaches, scouts, GM, players and ultimately the field. 

A big reason is that the owner hired bad GMs and coaches. Sure he makes it worse, but he’s also hired extremely poorly.

10 minutes ago, thennek said:

I just want to know if there's more than just the physical limitations and accuracy.  That big expose in the Athletic alluded to Bryce not quite being able to take on the full playbook so it just makes you wonder.  

But I think you're right about Frank.  The team was on a short leash so he took it back to fall on the sword if it didn't get better.  He knew what was happening.

4 hours ago, BenjaminBreeg said:

Bryce has never been accurate on deep throws. During his best statistical year at Alabama, Bryce completed only 36.1% of passes 20 yards or longer. That is freaking atrocious. For comparison, Tua's completion rate at Alabama on passes 20 yards or longer was 57.1%, and Mac Jones' was 58%. 

Young's deep ball accuracy is not gonna suddenly and miraculously improve in the NFL, which begs the question: how in the world did our evaluators and scouts miss this giant red flag? I thought Tepper prides himself on using analytics, so how did they miss this?

Holy fug. I had no idea about this and to call this alarming would be an understatement. I had only seen clips of him completing the deep ball. 

• Pie 1

It's a depressing reality to face but it's not healthy to live in denial. Good on you for recognizing and accepting the circumstances.

So much of this was discussed before the draft and when I say people wanted no parts of hearing about it I mean they were vicious. You couldn't suggest there were any flaws in Young as a prospect and if you did prepare for a poo storm. But apparently that's more than our front office did they didn't even consider any cons apparently. Just unforgivable incompetence.

4 hours ago, BIGH2001 said:

With Dalton we’d be 4-2 or 5-1 over the last 6 games. Our schedule since the bye has been a joke. The fact that we’ve won not a single one of these games and have produced one passing touchdown in the last 5 tells me all I need to know about how subpar the quarterback play has been. Reich had so little confidence in young that he tried that field goal in Chicago that even our kicker knew he had no chance to make over going for it on 4th. I’m sure the entire staff knows the deal but they can’t bench him because it will draw the ire of Tepper.

I think we would be worse than that because our playcalling is also insanely bad. But we wouldn't have lost ALL these fuging games.

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

7 hours ago, The Lobo said:

Well said on all things but this last paragraph here was excellent. How good is he if he has to have all this talent around him? But What do we do, not give him anything like cam or spend every resource on giving him weapons and the defense sucks? 

5 hours ago, BenjaminBreeg said:

They listened to the hype.

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1