• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

YOU TELL ME: How would YOU go about realistically fixing this team.

WarPanthers89

Bench Bryce, Start Dalton.  Trade Burns and Brown for picks, build up the team in 2024. 

Ideally Draft a QB in 2025 if the pick is high enough. If not, do NOT panic and trade up for a qb. Just keep building the team up as best as you can, and insert a good qb when the time is right.

Edited by Hoenheim
  • Beer 1

1 minute ago, 4Corners said:

They gonna let Chinn walk. fuging pathetic. 

If so, Fitterer is a bigger idiot than I have become to realize.  He's a hybrid, I get it, it's hard to pigeon-hole him to one spot.  However it has become clear that Jeremy is a better thumper than ballhawk.  We offer him a contract based on a above average ILB and see how it goes. If he balks and wants corner money, then we trade him before he hits the market.  I understand he's been playing nickle, but of the three positions he plays, corner is his least effective.

• Beer 1

6 minutes ago, 45catfan said:

Whew boy did you open up a can of worms!  Okay, eating an elephant strategy...here I go.

#1-Trade Brian Burns for draft capital.  A 1st round this year and a 2nd next year bare minimum

#2-Extend Brown

#3- Re-sign Luvu (priority #1 FA)

#4- Other in-house FAs to re-sign REASONABLY (no particular order): Haynes, YGM, Hill, KGH, Williams

*If JJ wants to come back then we obviously re-sign him--but I doubt he does.

#5 Either move Chinn to LB or trade him before FA.

#6 Free agency:  WR (x2) a tier 1 and a tier 2, TE, OLB and CB

#7 Use that first rounder to take either a QB or WR.

#8 Draft a OLB, DL, CB, IOL and BPA

nice post.  I agree with almost everything and was just getting set to post.  Here's my to do...

1. Trade Burns for first and future second/third.

2. Extend Brown.

3. Re-sign Luvu, Hill, Franklin, Haynes, Willams.

4. Chinn, Henderson, YGM, all walk for future comp picks.  Important - let them become comp picks.  Do not try to sign a bunch of FAs.

5. Move to power running scheme.  Move icky inside with Christiansen outside.  Play action galore.

6. Draft WR in first.  We have to find some speed here.

7. Rest of draft is defense heavy - OLB in 2nd, ILB in 3rd, CB in 4th, DT and Center in 5th, TE in 6th.

When Christensen and Corbett come back, we should have a decent run-first offense that should keep us in most games.  We'll probably have lots of rookies starting on defense. Maybe we'll win 4-5 games and be eliminated in December instead of November.

In 2025, we'll have high first rounder, high picks in rounds 3-7, and at least a couple decent comp picks.  This is when we can decide if we need a different direction for QB and really start building out depth.

• Beer 1

Realistically, it's going to take time but that doesn't mean we can't see substantial immediate improvement next season.

It starts with making the right hire at head coach and then with replacing Scott Fitterer with an actual real life NFL-caliber GM.

My personal preferences for those spots are Will McClay and Bobby Slowick.

In terms of free agency and the draft I would make the OL - specifically the interior OL - THE priority of the offseason. Release Bradley Bozeman and sign Miami's Connor Williams as our starting center, then sign the Patriots' Mike Onwenu to start at LG. Have Brady Christensen become our "sixth man" on the OL as he can play either guard or tackle spot when/if someone gets injured. 2024 will be Ickey Ekwonu's last chance at LT; if he doesn't rebound in a new blocking scheme he'll have to move inside to guard in 2025, which is also when Austin Corbett's contract is up.

I would franchise tag Brian Burns and trade him, even if we don't get the kind of return we'd like to get. There's no way I'm even considering paying him $30M/year. Based on his performance this year I doubt we can expect a 1st rounder, but it's always possible there's a team in the late 1st willing to give that up. If not, take what we can get and move on. Scott Fitterer's biggest blunder was turning down that offer from the Rams and that's saying something.

We obviously have to add some talent at WR and Tee Higgins is the obvious best option available. I almost hate to spend that much on a free agent receiver, but at this point it's hard to pass up the chance to add a player like Higgins, even if we'll have to overpay to sign him. That said, if we hire Houston's Bobby Slowick (who is my #1 choice in this scenario) then adding the Texans' Noah Brown makes a lot of sense as well.

In the draft it's too early to target any specific players but I think we need to focus overall on getting the best value for our picks. That may mean trading down from the top of the 2nd round or it may mean trading up. Whatever gives us the most impact out of the draft overall. Obviously WR, OL, EDGE, CB, and LB are all positions we should target.

We all know 2024 is going to be another lost year, why not embrace it.

Brian Burns should be tagged and traded. Some team is going to value his name over production and pay with draft picks.  Secondly, I approach free agency with the goal in mind to gain as many compensation picks as possible. I am not bringing in any FA's that are going to affect our compensatory picks. 

In the draft, I focus on two things, trading back to accumulate draft picks for this year and next, and rebuilding the trenches. O-line, and D-line will be priority 1 and 2. 

Since 2024 is a wash anyways, we need to evaluate young talent.  Bring in the UDFA's and see if we can't find some late rounders with talent.  Go into 2025 draft with 12+ picks and an early 1st rounder.  Draft our next attempt at QB and building around him moving forward. 

• Pie 2

Burn it all down.

Tepper steps back and hires someone to run the team. They clean house in the front office and coaching staff. Do a fire sale, there are less than 5 guys we should keep even with rookie contracts. Get picks over 2 year window and prepareto play whoever is left over. Spend 2024 building up the lines in the draft and the rest in free agency on prove it deals. Now is not the time for giant contracts, they need flexability in the short term. Maybe Brown being the exception. Let everyone compete and play the winners. 2024 would be all about improving and ending the year better then how they began. 2025 draft a QB and stud WR with the obvious early picks. They could be winning by the middle to end of the 2nd year of that kind of rebuild.

• Pie 1

Step one is what we all want...

1. GM & his scouting dept is relieved of duties along with the remaining coaching staff.  The search will be a focus on a pairing -- whether it's GM first or another coach w/personnel control.  

2. Burns obviously wants out.  You have to tag and trade him.  We can still get a decent package so just get it done and don't just let him walk for some comp pick crap.  Hopefully he still nets a 1st.  May be a 2025 one but possibly 2024 from a team in contention i.e. DET or BAL.    

3. Draft a QB in the 3rd-4th to compete.  This is a barometer check for the kid.  Draft someone like Michael Pratt, Bo Nix, etc.  If a mid-round is doing more than Bryce in camp/preseason, a good coach will recognize it.  He needs someone young with potential to either push him to be better or get out of the way.  He's looked that bad.

4. Rebuild is the remaining focus.  Offensive Playmakers and Trench Warfare.   

5. FA focus should be impact in leadership.  We need tougher dudes with leadership ability.  We have dinero for a guy that can be a team captain.  I suggest they either do what they can to keep Luvu or look at finding the new D leader at LB.  Need some men in this joint.     

• Pie 3
  • Beer 1

I wouldn’t have traded up. I would have kept Wilks if all the other offensive coaches I really wanted dropped out. Meaning I wouldn’t settle for Reich. I’d also fire Fitt. 
I would sign Darnold to a one year tank commander deal going into 2023 aiming to take a QB in a very deep QB class. 
We go 3-14, get a top 5 pick. Still have DJ Moore and CMC for the rookie QB. 
Go into 2024 season with Wilks and a newly rejuvenated team. 
I stay out of football operations and only get involved if I absolutely have too. 

• Pie 1

22 minutes ago, Bear Hands said:

Step one is what we all want...

1. GM & his scouting dept is relieved of duties along with the remaining coaching staff.  The search will be a focus on a pairing -- whether it's GM first or another coach w/personnel control.  

2. Burns obviously wants out.  You have to tag and trade him.  We can still get a decent package so just get it done and don't just let him walk for some comp pick crap.  Hopefully he still nets a 1st.  May be a 2025 one but possibly 2024 from a team in contention i.e. DET or BAL.    

3. Draft a QB in the 3rd-4th to compete.  This is a barometer check for the kid.  Draft someone like Michael Pratt, Bo Nix, etc.  If a mid-round is doing more than Bryce in camp/preseason, a good coach will recognize it.  He needs someone young with potential to either push him to be better or get out of the way.  He's looked that bad.

4. Rebuild is the remaining focus.  Offensive Playmakers and Trench Warfare.   

5. FA focus should be impact in leadership.  We need tougher dudes with leadership ability.  We have dinero for a guy that can be a team captain.  I suggest they either do what they can to keep Luvu or look at finding the new D leader at LB.  Need some men in this joint.     

No way Burns signs the tag to be able to trade him. After this year he needs to go to a good team and have a prove it year. It is his best play for the size of contract he desires. His agent should know this and that trail has already been blazed. They won't even get a comp with the amount of free agents they need to sign.