• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Thoughts on Tabor's game management?

Saca312

35 minutes ago, Pejorative Miscreant said:

One of the scarce scenarios where playing for the field goal is the right strategy.

I vividly remember 1 game where Ron Opted for a fg on 4th and 1 on like the 5 yard line up 3 with like 1:20 left. We go up 6. Common sense says you go for it on 4th down. You score you're up 2 scores with 1:15 left. You pick up the first down and don't score its game over. You get stuffed the opponent has to go 95 yards with I believe no time outs and most likely go for the tie. So worst realistic case scenario there is you go to overtime.

We kick the field goal, they get the ball on the 20 instead of the 5 March right down and score the game winning touchdown. It is definitely nice for a coach to have good situational awareness

• Pie 1

11 minutes ago, toldozer said:

I vividly remember 1 game where Ron Opted for a fg on 4th and 1 on like the 5 yard line up 3 with like 1:20 left. We go up 6. Common sense says you go for it on 4th down. You score you're up 2 scores with 1:15 left. You pick up the first down and don't score its game over. You get stuffed the opponent has to go 95 yards with I believe no time outs and most likely go for the tie. So worst realistic case scenario there is you go to overtime.

We kick the field goal, they get the ball on the 20 instead of the 5 March right down and score the game winning touchdown. It is definitely nice for a coach to have good situational awareness

Found it. My memory was pretty good to be 10 years ago. Was a little off on the yardage it was 4th and 1 from the 21

Screenshot_20231218_135933_Chrome.jpg

One Critical decision:

1st and 10 at Atlanta 25 with 3:13 left.  Atlanta has all 3 timeouts.

A lot of coaches will either run 3 straight times to make Atlanta burn their timeouts or run twice and then try to pass on 3rd down.  This is especially true in this rain.  

Tabor passed on 1st down to sanders in the flat and gained 7 yards.  This play imo led to the panthers being able to bleed the clock all the way out.

However, if the pass is incomplete, it would be second guessed as it would certainly mean Atlanta keeps a timeout when they get the ball back.

A safe pass on 1st down when the defense is clearly looking for a run feels like playing to win instead of not to lose.

Edited by w280sax
  • Pie 1

1 hour ago, 45catfan said:

Eddy supposedly hit from 60 yards that same direction in pregame and the reason the decision was green lighted.

I believe Frank's defense of it was he saw his kicker hit 60 yarders in practice.  Not that Eddy was pulling it off pregame.   And it was 100% obvious Eddy didn't think he could make it by his actions after the miss.  The whole what did you expect body language. 

and I still don't think there has ever been any leaks on where the coaches stood....only that there was clear disagreement on what Frank opted to do. 

16 minutes ago, CRA said:

I believe Frank's defense of it was he saw his kicker hit 60 yarders in practice.  Not that Eddy was pulling it off pregame.   And it was 100% obvious Eddy didn't think he could make it by his actions after the miss.  The whole what did you expect body language. 

and I still don't think there has ever been any leaks on where the coaches stood....only that there was clear disagreement on what Frank opted to do. 

Did you click the link to Tabor's presser?  By your comments I will assume no. 

Coaches who work on special teams I feel are more likely to understand things such as game management since their units come out fairly often and require doing so rather quickly in certain situations. Also, they work with both offensive and defensive players. Kinda made since he was made the interim and at least yesterday, that proved a pivotal factor.

• Pie 3

1 hour ago, w280sax said:

One Critical decision:

1st and 10 at Atlanta 25 with 3:13 left.  Atlanta has all 3 timeouts.

A lot of coaches will either run 3 straight times to make Atlanta burn their timeouts or run twice and then try to pass on 3rd down.  This is especially true in this rain.  

TABOR PASSED ON 1st down and gained 7 yards.  This play imo led to the panthers being able to bleed the clock all the way out.

However, if the pass is incomplete, it would be second guessed as it would certainly mean Atlanta keeps a timeout when they get the ball back.

A safe pass on 1st down when the defense is clearly looking for a run feels like playing to win instead of not to lose.

I like the thoughts but I'd say Brown called that play and he's getting better and better as a play caller. Not Tabor, Brown deserves all the credit for that situation.

• Pie 4
  • Beer 1

3 hours ago, trucpfan said:

I like the thoughts but I'd say Brown called that play and he's getting better and better as a play caller. Not Tabor, Brown deserves all the credit for that situation.

You may be right...I have no way of knowing.  But, I do think some head coaches would dictate to run the ball in that situation.  I think riverboat would.

6 hours ago, 45catfan said:

The punt and KO ploys aside, the end of game is where I think he shined.  I was thinking the same thing, we had the timeouts (they didn't) and enough downs to run the clock all the way down.  Why give the ball back to them?  There was a greater probability that they marched down the field after we scored a TD than Eddy missing a chip shot FG.

Especially in that weather.... easy for a DB to slip and let a WR get behind them.

• Beer 1