• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

is there a worse destination than Carolina for a GM or HC?

rayzor

Other than having an owner that's not afraid to overpay, what do we have that makes us a better landing spot for a GM or any coach than any other team in the league?

Why would anyone choose us over any other spot?

Nothing.  Maybe geography?

But if I learned anything in the corporate world it was that people will go to miserable places and work miserable jobs for good money.

Maybe, hopefully, there are similar mindsets in football. 

(Firing frank mid-season was an idiotic move)

Edited by csx

The upside is even being average would be an improvement. The bar is low. Also, Tepper will have to give a new coach some slack due to his reputation and how the last two hires have gone. Also the division isn’t scaring anyone.

its not a great job but there are still attractive things about it. My first order of business would be to make sure I had a good backup QB for when young needs to benched next season. 

• Pie 3

It's a great place to be overpaid. That's really it. If you are tired of working this is the team handing out hefty retirement packages if your health can survive the toxic work environment.

• Pie 2
  • Flames 1

Nope. Which is why firing Frank was the wrong decision imo. We should've let him and Bryce lead us to #1 next year. Now we're in a situation where Tepper has the earliest coach firing since 1978 on his record. By firing Reich we now have to pick from a limited candidate pool (since we have no pick and any coach we hired is tethered to bryce for a season) compared to if we had retained him then fired him after next year when we are a more enticing destination.

Basically just have to pray that whoever we hire from that limited pool is the guy. I don't see it ending well. I doubt any coach who cares more about money than ambition will ever be great. I think we just get used for a payday again then Tepper teppers and fires him after a year and then candidates really won't want to touch this job with a 10 foot pole. 

Edited by beo

It's never as bad as you think it is.

Look at Houston.   Every single year the league flips upside down (to an extent).   We can easily be competitive next year with the right hire and personnel moves.

Tepper hiring a consulting firm says a lot as well.    And hopefully firing Fitterer today gives us a completely fresh start.

• Pie 2

The guaranteed money will be a big draw. David Tepper is still paying gobs of money to Matt Rhule and Frank Reich. Come work for a short time, so a horrible job, and keep getting paid. If anything it’s going to attract guys who want to f*ck off and get fired. 

• Pie 1

We are easily the worst job. 

and Tepper’s fat check isn’t a complete trump card.  Especially if you are a young coach.  They can make millions anywhere.  This job offers the highest odds of career derailment 

• Pie 2

Nope, we are the worst. We are in fact the only reported organization with current employees texting potential hires don't do it, reconsider, read some literature on the subject. Our culture was compared to a dystopian novel about drafted children forced to kill each other as part of an annual gladiatorial ritual for prosperity. Insert face palm emoticon!

• Flames 1