• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Article: Brian Burns on playing without an extension in 2023: 'I was terrified to get hurt'

Article: 

The 2023 season wasn’t fun for anyone associated for the Carolina Panthers, even for a Pro Bowl alternate.

Outside linebacker Brian Burns spoke with reporters following his team’s Week 18 loss to the Tampa Bay Buccaneers. The standout pass rusher touched on how this campaign was a particularly tough one for him, especially considering that he was playing through it without any guarantees:

Burns, who entered the season on his fifth-year option, was expected to receive a contract extension from the Panthers prior to Week 1. But that, surprisingly, never happened—as the two sides failed to reach a long-term deal.

As Burns alluded to, the Carolina defense was dealt blow after blow early and often. The unit, at one point or another during the year, were missing the likes of fellow edge defenders Marquis Haynes Sr., Yetur Gross-Matos and Justin Houston, linebacker Shaq Thompson, cornerback Jaycee Horn and safeties Vonn Bell, Xavier Woods and Jeremy Chinn.

Now, the two-time Pro Bowler, who amassed 8.0 sacks over 16 games in 2023, will enter free agency if the Panthers do not apply the franchise tag to him. Or maybe, just maybe, they can finally find some middle ground.

www.pantherswire.usatoday.com

IMG_3187.jpeg

IMG_3189.jpeg

12 minutes ago, micnificent28 said:

I really dont blame him. especially playing for nothing at that point. for a 2 win team you want me to go full throttle and give up my livelyhood for nothing?

I agree. Kind of odd though that he said it to reporters though unless he was using it as a reason for the dip in production. It will be interesting to see what we do with him this offseason as Luvu and Brown seem like no brianer extensions, and we have around 57 million in cap space 

5 minutes ago, WarPanthers89 said:

I agree. Kind of odd though that he said it to reporters though unless he was using it as a reason for the dip in production. It will be interesting to see what we do with him this offseason as Luvu and Brown seem like no brianer extensions, and we have around 57 million in cap space 

Third priority. 

playing to not get hurt is a good way to get hurt. 

• Pie 1

Dear Mr Burns,

You have so far in your career earned nearly 30 million dollars.  If injuries were a concern as they relate to future earnings perhaps you might have considered investing some of that money in an insurance policy.

• Pie 1

If you want the money amount you want, you need to play like it. Until this season, you had not. You came very close. So this season was your shot to show everyone you are worth the amount you wanted. You could've signed at any time too. But you didn't show you're yet worth that much money, and because you didn't get the amount you wanted you shut down. You screwed yourself. Now you'll get much less. Congrats.

• Pie 1
  • Flames 1