• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Panthers interview requests

Mr. Scot

14 minutes ago, Leaky_Faucet said:

As for GM/HC search, I don’t know. I imagine going back weeks ago they already had candidates preemptively ranked into levels or tiers. I think the candidates that you are seeing them target for the GM search clearly points towards the organization wanting a contracts/cap guy in that role for one of two reasons.1) Bring in a guy like Harbaugh, Vrabel, or Belichick. OR 2) Let Adrian Wilson and Dan Morgan evaluate the players and the new guy count the beans.

I imagine the Panthers will take a shot at Ben Johnson and some of the bigger names but to be honest, it’s probably not going to happen, and they probably have a plan for that. If I had to guess, Johnson, Slowik, and Macdonald is on top of the list. The next group would probably consist of the more experienced guys I already mentioned. Having a GM like they are targeting would give you the flexibility you may need in coaching cycle of such high volume.

My personal guess? Johnson is out of the equation so they will take a swing at Slowik and Macdonald and if that falls through, they will settle for Vrabel if he doesn’t land in New England. (Keep in mind Mayo is well liked and the Patriots don’t have to apply the Rooney Rule to hire him based on his contract). If plan B falls through, hold on to your seats.

Mostly just my opinion but there you go.

It’s too early to tell and with them being in such a sensitive position regarding optics and potential rejection embarrassment just for asking somebody to talk to them about a job, I expect it to be pretty quiet. With the advisory group also assisting, that’s going to add a whole other layer to controlling what information gets out. This group was likely hired to facilitate the entire process and not just for lining up interviews or providing input.

My honest opinion based off of rumblings I’ve picked up and observations... I think David Tepper is taking back control of the team in a way. I don’t know how many of you picked up on it in his press conference and even going back to interviews last year but many have alluded to everything being “voted on” or “collaborated via committee” and since Scott Fitterer’s arrival that is how things have been ran. Scott himself even stated this was the type of leader he was on multiple occasions. Nicole Tepper even has this directly in her biography on the team’s web page.

She's most comfortable serving in-person on the front lines – through providing words of support and encouragement, volunteering, and financial donations. She believes in a team-first approach to decision-making and leadership, emphasizing collaboration rather than solo decision making.”

This is another sign that points towards this large group of folks voting on things like a council meeting. I believe that way of leading has been balled up and thrown into the trash and the team is starting new and trusting a group that has helped the 49ers, Eagles, and Rams work on themselves (all three of which are currently in the postseason).

I agree... Although I think it is likely it will come down to Frank Smith, Bobby Slowick, or Mike Macdonald and quite frankly.... I would be ok with these three.

I am particularly intrigued by Macdonald because of his background with both Harbaughs and really has a dynamic defense. Don't get me wrong, Evero has done an amazing job with the little he had this season but there is something about that Ravens defense that just puts him over so don't sleep on MacDonald! 

19 minutes ago, Jaxel said:

Personally, I don't think a Harbaugh, Belicheck type would be bad foe the Panthers. I'm hearing a lot about Frank Smith, don't know much about him, but sounds like the back up plan.

The backup plan...

So who is the #1 plan?

1 hour ago, Leaky_Faucet said:

My honest opinion based off of rumblings I’ve picked up and observations... I think David Tepper is taking back control of the team in a way.

That's...probably not something anybody wants to hear 😕

I'm in favor of dumping the collaborative bullsh-t, but more involvement on Dave's part is a big big red flag.

Edited by Mr. Scot
  • Beer 2

7 hours ago, Mr. Scot said:

That's...probably not something anybody wants to hear 😕

I'm in favor of dumping the collaborative bullsh-t, but more involvement on Dave's part is a big big red flag.

The counter to that is that maybe, just maybe he hasn’t been as involved as we thought. He let Rhule run the show, then a massive committee.

It sound like the search firm is deeply involved in the process for a new GM and HC, so that’s a good thing. 

1 hour ago, Martin said:

The counter to that is that maybe, just maybe he hasn’t been as involved as we thought. He let Rhule run the show, then a massive committee.

It sound like the search firm is deeply involved in the process for a new GM and HC, so that’s a good thing. 

It is the only thing a narcissist would do in this situation.  Google it, everyone.  You can predict when Tepper takes a dump if you understand the tendencies of his mentality.   He is who he is, and that got him here, but it will not take him to where he wants to go.  It is like riding a horse across country on your way to Europe.  When you get to the coast, you probably need to get off the damn horse and let the boats take over.

50 minutes ago, FuFuLamePoo said:

Rapoport seems firmly convinced Belichick is in play here 

I've heard Falcons are in play for Belichick.... That would awesome if we wind up with Vrabel though and Falcons end up with Belichick... Could be a fun rivalry in the NFC South

52 minutes ago, FuFuLamePoo said:

Rapoport seems firmly convinced Belichick is in play here 

Bill wants to take the wins record from Shula. He needs 7-10 wins a season over the next 4 years to do that. 

This team is not getting him there.

Edited by Tbe