• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Carolina Definitely Chose the Wrong QB

Calboyz13

“We want the QB to be like a point guard in basketball” ie a distributor who’s the smallest guy on the field. Worth noting Tepper is a small human himself and that may have played a factor into him liking him. These are the idiotic ideas you get when you have a team with an active decision making owner.

• Pie 1

36 minutes ago, falconlynx said:

Keep up the copium to believe Young is any good. 

Young could have been a lot worse. Young can also improve, especially since his major problem right now is footwork and getting the ball out earlier, two things that have been improved by other QBs. Every single QB in NFL history has missed open receivers. I don’t get these “my opinion is absolute and he will never be any good” takes. 

No one needs convinced we made the wrong choice. Everyone knows it. Even pro Bryce fans are resorting to the falsehood of “he couldn’t carry this team ahyuckkk durrrrr” to defend him, blatantly ignoring the fact that Carolina was A LOT better than the Texans last year and we added more talent going into this season, and he’s carrying that team. This isn’t a valid defense and is really grasping at straws. I keep seeing it as a last resort from BY fan boys all over social media.

Bryce supporters can’t refute CJ is the better player, there’s just pure delusion and doubling down on the hope that Young resembles anything of an NFL QB1 next year. The only support BY should have now is from fans cheering only because he’s the Panthers QB, bc he’s not better than any other starter and definitely not CJ. 

3 hours ago, MtnJax said:

Stroud wouldn’t have looked like the ROY on this poo sandwich of a team this year

Not too sure about that. Stroud was a better fit for a Reich offense. Forcing Reich to make an offense on the fly for Young was the biggest issue on offense. Levis would have been a better fit for Reich's offense. Would have been more productive with Dalton, Foles, Wentz, or Flacco. Young had difficulty seeing the open receivers.

• Pie 4

33 minutes ago, Selltheteamtepper said:

“We want the QB to be like a point guard in basketball” ie a distributor who’s the smallest guy on the field. Worth noting Tepper is a small human himself and that may have played a factor into him liking him. These are the idiotic ideas you get when you have a team with an active decision making owner.

I agree, big kat

36 minutes ago, amcoolio said:

Young could have been a lot worse. Young can also improve, especially since his major problem right now is footwork and getting the ball out earlier, two things that have been improved by other QBs. Every single QB in NFL history has missed open receivers. I don’t get these “my opinion is absolute and he will never be any good” takes. 

He was that worse. Handful of times this year pillows had 27 yards passing at the half. 

before these folks on here, say the oline was bad. It was the same line that Sam Darnold did pretty good with last year.

face it homers….Bryce sucks. 

• Pie 1

Took a long hiatus during the season, come back and people are remembering Stroud was the favorite here? That’s not how I remember it lol. I remember it was 50-50 for a little bit but as soon as that S2 nonsense came out there was only a few of us still on the Stroud bus.  I said before the draft I liked him better than any prospect for years, up there with Luck. He was the most accurate college passer I ever remember seeing. But most here and in the media said it was just his receivers and superior team.  

I was wrong about Bryce though, I thought he’d be good (not Stroud good, but good) but I was mostly worried about durability. I said his accuracy was streaky but he was a playmaker backyard QB type.  His accuracy is even worse than I thought and can’t make plays if you can’t hit the broad side of a barn more than 10 yards downfield. 

• Pie 4

40 minutes ago, amcoolio said:

I hope he can improve, and sure every QB misses open receivers occasionally but I can’t remember the another one that missed even close as consistently as Bryce. Even a lot of his balls that get caught are bad passes that receivers have to come back for or otherwise end what could have been a big play just to catch it. 

A stat I saw the other day, he had the 14th longest time to throw in the league, his OL wasn’t good but not as bad as a lot of people make out to be. He just had a habit of running toward pressure, absolutely no pocket presence and shockingly slow to process. I screamed “get rid of the ***** ball!” at the tv so many times this year my family thought I developed Tourette’s.

• Pie 3

1 hour ago, ComebackCam said:

Anyone with an iota of sense knew Young at 1 + trading up to do so was absolute poverty

I mean you can knock the trade, that’s fine, but the idea that drafting Young 1 at the time was some crazy overdraft is insane.

1 hour ago, JawnyBlaze said:

I hope he can improve, and sure every QB misses open receivers occasionally but I can’t remember the another one that missed even close as consistently as Bryce. Even a lot of his balls that get caught are bad passes that receivers have to come back for or otherwise end what could have been a big play just to catch it. 

A stat I saw the other day, he had the 14th longest time to throw in the league, his OL wasn’t good but not as bad as a lot of people make out to be. He just had a habit of running toward pressure, absolutely no pocket presence and shockingly slow to process. I screamed “get rid of the ***** ball!” at the tv so many times this year my family thought I developed Tourette’s.

That's part of the mechanics that many seem to shrug off. 

He doesn't make deep drops.  Nearly every undersized QB has made a point to have quick deep drops to help survey and find lines of vision (Brees, Russ, Flutie, etc).  They all did it.  Bryce does this walk back skip session and guys are at the top of the shorter designed routes before he even plants.  And bc of this, DL are immediately in his face, even at his line of play when he's just set.  He's just way too undisciplined in the pocket.

You see these videos by youtubers trying to dissect all these QBs and act all QB-guru...I find it ridiculous that so few point this out.  Funny enough, the ones that have aren't these never-was QBs, it's been guys like Kurt Warner and a chunk of The Athletic staff.

There's also the accuracy and awareness issues.  And ball security problems.  And lack of arm.  

He was #1 bc his game was apparently so fine tuned, that it superseded the substantial, and I mean, sub-f'n-stantial size+strength concerns.  This hasn't proven to be the case.  And he has issues he needs to correct on top of it.  For a #1 pick, that is a disaster.  

Can't write him off just yet, but he has a LONG way to go.

• Pie 6