• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Assistant Coach Chatter

Mr. Scot

24 minutes ago, Samppson said:

You keep Evero on as DC unless he gets a HC job, if he leaves after this year you get a comp pick.

Unless Canales has a really good plan for that side of the ball, I could get behind this.

I am not among those who thought Evero's defense was good last year.  However, I also acknowledge he had a lot stacked against him as well.  I'd like to see what he can do in year two.  If he succeeds, great, we've got a great DC or we get a pick when he becomes a HC.  If he fails, also fine, it's easy to get rid of him after 2024.

• Pie 1

8 minutes ago, BrianS said:

Unless Canales has a really good plan for that side of the ball, I could get behind this.

I am not among those who thought Evero's defense was good last year.  However, I also acknowledge he had a lot stacked against him as well.  I'd like to see what he can do in year two.  If he succeeds, great, we've got a great DC or we get a pick when he becomes a HC.  If he fails, also fine, it's easy to get rid of him after 2024.

Yeah, my only concern with Evero is its now the second time you have passed over him for HC, I know if I was working at a place and two years in a row I went for a role and they chose someone else, I feel like I might harbor some resentment. Hes a professional, but he may want a fresh start somewhere else... but yeah Im not sure how thats usually handled. I know "technically" he cant go elsewhere if its a lateral move, but if hes unhappy, I dont think thats how you want to start things off.

Edited by Samppson
  • Pie 2
  • Poo 1

2 minutes ago, Samppson said:

Yeah, my only concern with Evero is its now the second time you have passed over him for HC, I know if I was working at a place and two years in a row I went for a role and they chose someone else, I feel like I might harbor some resentment. Hes a professional, but he may want a fresh start somewhere else... but yeah Im not sure how thats usually handled.

This is a reasonable concern, but Evero's contract is with the team.  The only way he can leave is if he is offered a HC gig elsewhere or is told his services are no longer required.  If the new staff want him back, it's 100% in his best interests to come back and do his very best.  If the defense doesn't make strides in year two, it starts to make his star a little less bright.

• Pie 2

Just now, BrianS said:

This is a reasonable concern, but Evero's contract is with the team.  The only way he can leave is if he is offered a HC gig elsewhere or is told his services are no longer required.  If the new staff want him back, it's 100% in his best interests to come back and do his very best.  If the defense doesn't make strides in year two, it starts to make his star a little less bright.

That makes sense, his best bet for having success is probably here, in year 2 with his defense rather than starting fresh somewhere else. Will hopefully have a healthier defense as well, so I guess from his point of view, if hes looking to be a HC he probably stands to have the best chance here if he has a good year 2.

• Pie 2

6 minutes ago, NAS said:

I hope Canales gets to pick his own staff instead of Dave trying to get too cute

yeah, on the surface keeping Evero makes a ton of sense but what's most important is that it's Canales' decision and not Tepper telling him he has to keep Evero.

• Pie 2
  • Beer 1