• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Can a QB be “fixed?”

11 hours ago, BrianS said:

No.

Most of those guys had solid mechanics right from the start.  Cleats in the ground, lined up, weight transfer.  Favre was the most questionable, but he had probably the best arm in NFL history and even with that, he knew how to line up his body with the throw.  Those guys didn't need to be "fixed".  They did need some time to figure it out mentally.

Drew Brees definitely needed to be fixed following the Chargers. He talked about it in detail. Same with Kurt Warner. He didn’t fail to beat out Brett Favre, Mark Brunell & Ty Detmer because his mechanics were sound. We can even talk about Brad Johnson. You should study up on their journey into the NFL. Dan Fouts looked bad until Walsh took care of him. It took Joe Montana 2 seasons under Walsh to rework his mechanics before he replaced Steve DeBerg. Steve Young also details the journey he had to go through with Walsh until his mechanics were good enough for the NFL. Prior to that he bombed with the Bucs because of his mechanics & footwork.

1 hour ago, Panthers8969 said:

Some recent “fixes” :

josh Allen 

tua

hurts

howd they get fixed? Teams traded for a true wr1. Then boom, magically the QBs went from bust to good. Crazy how that works 

Is Higgins the answer?  Go big in FA and add a WR at 33. Then we have AT, Mingo, Higgins and a rookie. For sure better than what we trotted out this year.  We get lucky at 33 with a guy who catches on faster than Mingo and Tee as the numero uno.  I mean it's not outside the realm of possibility. And AT as the chain mover in the slot.  

1 hour ago, mickeye76 said:

Is Higgins the answer?  Go big in FA and add a WR at 33. Then we have AT, Mingo, Higgins and a rookie. For sure better than what we trotted out this year.  We get lucky at 33 with a guy who catches on faster than Mingo and Tee as the numero uno.  I mean it's not outside the realm of possibility. And AT as the chain mover in the slot.  

Higgins won’t be allowed to leave in FA. Mike Evans is more realistic with HC ties and age. Good young wrs aren’t allowed to walk. Last example was kirk who was a wr3 on the cardinals than got a contract wildly over expectations 

I think Canales is going to put Young in the best position to produce. Young will then start to live up to potential. I don't think he's broken he just didn't have anything going for him from a coaching standpoint. Really hard for a rookie QB. 

The mechanics can absolutely be fixed. The footwork can absolutely be fixed.

Not 100% sure we can fix the most important part of the equation which is between his ears. 

The size or arm strength that people harp on, plenty of QB's in the NFL have lacked that and been successful. That just limits your overall ceiling. The hyper focus on that is retarded and it ignores a lot of bigger problems.

Ultimately, I think a lot of this HC hire was the "fix Bryce" mentality. I suspect that will be wildly unsuccessful(as a strategy and in practice).

The most critical component of fixing Bryce is himself. He has to realize his flaws and work to fix them. There are ample amounts of this coaching and expertise around. If he has any designs of this NFL career being more than a minute, he better be deep into his contacts and working on these flaws now.

• Pie 1

7 hours ago, Panthers8969 said:

Higgins won’t be allowed to leave in FA. Mike Evans is more realistic with HC ties and age. Good young wrs aren’t allowed to walk. Last example was kirk who was a wr3 on the cardinals than got a contract wildly over expectations 

People need to understand evans isn't coming here.  Why would he come here?

• Beer 1