• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Bryce Young’s Arm Strength

0kBoomer

You have to get him operating from the gun with rhythm. Keep him comfortable with a good running game and calling mesh concepts, hitting shallow crosses with YAC type guys. Then that should open things up hopefully.

What you can’t do is put him on an island so to speak, in a shallow pocket needing to play the middle of the field. Thats not him. He doesn’t play the middle. On the flip side, problem was last year, it was all of these out routes and the quick slants to Thielen (that he still plays well). But it didn’t spread a defense out so it became super beatable and readable. Especially with a mid to bad running game.

Last year’s construction and scheme was an abomination. I’ll be interested to see how he does with more quick hitters and plays designed to isolate or open the field up with a new skill personnel.

1 minute ago, CRA said:

generally a #1 overall pick that you also give up additional first round picks and stud WRs for.....should come with all the bells and whistles.  Not be some stock floor model.  

I mean, part of the Bryce Young issue.....is what he cost vs what he is.  Which that's not really his fault but it's going to impact how people view him. 

And those people would be wrong in doing so. It's not the players fault where they are drafted and what was given up to acquire them. It's up to the team to maximize that investment as best they can. 

• Pie 2

27 minutes ago, Jon Snow said:

And those people would be wrong in doing so. It's not the players fault where they are drafted and what was given up to acquire them. It's up to the team to maximize that investment as best they can. 

I mean, it is what it is.  Bar is different for a 1st rounder vs a 7th rounder.  Just the way it is.    What you cost impacts expectations

It felt like a risk to draft an NFL player with so many physical disadvantages. I hope with never do this again. It’s just nonstop questions wonder if he can even be average. 

This was such an impulsive gamble for a prospect that isn’t generationally talented or even the clear cut #1

• Pie 2

45 minutes ago, Wundrbread33 said:

Someone said Brady didn’t have a strong arm TOO. But Brady could throw that deep ball high with arc. Perfect deep balls. 

Which is absurd. Brady could absolutely sling it when he wanted to, but he generally utilized softer touch as a QB should (see: early Cam Newton). However, he could throw lasers and had a fantastic deep ball. Dude was throwing the ball 55+ yards on a dime at 45 years old his last year in the league... Brady did not lack arm strength. 

• Pie 4

2 hours ago, frankw said:

Can we put a ban on posting college highlights until our #1 pick looks like a #1 pick?

Seriously he just finished his first N-F-L season as one of the statistically worst rookie QB's ever.

OK - ya'll need to stop using your eyes and assuming the statistics align if you are gonna say stuff like this...worst ever?  He wasn't even the worst this season...among 2023 rookies here are his actual ranks:

Int % - 3rd

Comp % - 3rd

Yd/gm - 5th

QBR - 4th

Rating - 4th

He was consistently above guys like Levis, O'Connell, Browning in many of these categories with WAY worse talent around him.....yet he still wasn't overall the worst rookie QB this year.  Insane to say something like "one of the statistically worst ever".  Wasn't great at all....but far from worst or even bad.

10 minutes ago, countryboi said:

You would complain about that too

I will admit I prefer big arm QBs, but if Young comes out lookin like a badass and wins, I will give him all due credit. I desperately want to be wrong about him.

• Beer 1

2 minutes ago, Shotgun said:

I will admit I prefer big arm QBs, but if Young comes out lookin like a badass and wins, I will give him all due credit. I desperately want to be wrong about him.

Then why not try to find some of the positives in his game instead of consistently tearing him down or anybody else that supports him?

Just now, jamos14 said:

Then why not try to find some of the positives in his game instead of consistently tearing him down or anybody else that supports him?

Because I see someone that doesn't look like they physically belong in the NFL. I have a hard time sugarcoating that. Nothing against him at all personally though.

• Pie 3
  • Beer 1

16 minutes ago, Stingray3030 said:

OK - ya'll need to stop using your eyes and assuming the statistics align if you are gonna say stuff like this...worst ever?  He wasn't even the worst this season...among 2023 rookies here are his actual ranks:

Int % - 3rd

Comp % - 3rd

Yd/gm - 5th

QBR - 4th

Rating - 4th

He was consistently above guys like Levis, O'Connell, Browning in many of these categories with WAY worse talent around him.....yet he still wasn't overall the worst rookie QB this year.  Insane to say something like "one of the statistically worst ever".  Wasn't great at all....but far from worst or even bad.

Lol