• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Is Higgins to Panthers possible?

NAS

3 minutes ago, Martin said:

If we trade Burns I can absolutely see us going after Higgins hard. Higgins should cost a bit less that Burns, so that would be one way to make room for him.

By going hard how  hard are we talking?

I need some numbers!

• Beer 1

With Dan Morgan saying he looking for Dawgs, I Kind of think he may not be a target now. I like Higgins but he has always been injured and sat a few. I'd imagine Dan is looking  for guys who aint just  bsing. They mentioned practicing hard n a mentality... id like to go after Ridley for cheaper and a guy who has overcame adversity.  Plus Ridley  gets open very quickly, definitely  a skillset that we need right now with Bryce and the oline having so many questions. Pairing him n Theilen is a start.  

Edited by Lurk21

2 hours ago, mrcompletely11 said:

So we overpay.   That's the true panther way.   

You guys need to forget about guys like Higgins and Evans.  They aren't coming here.  Period full stop

Yeah, I don't know if the Panthers can get Higgins or Evans. I'm just saying players will come to Carolina if this is the best financial offer on the table. The whole idea of guys chasing super bowls is way overhyped. Especially for younger players.

• Beer 1

8 hours ago, mrcompletely11 said:

why would he (or evans) come here?  It literally makes no sense

To be nearer to his home (although Cincinnati is not too far from his Oak Ridge Tennessee roots), but as an athlete, I would do it because I want to be a bigger part of the offense.  I am not sure a 6-4 WR is in the cards, but I need to know more about the offense before making any stupid statements like Electric Horse does. (Just kidding EH)

Some of you are pessimists, like the ugly girls sitting in chairs along the wall at the high school dance.  We can create cap room to compete with any contract if we want the WR bad enough.  I think Hurney, at the end, had the same complex, so he overpaid to keep our own players off a 2-14 team.  I would say, however, Cincinnati wants to re-sign him.  Does he want to stay is Chase's shadow, or go somewhere that will target him more often?  Watch Green Bay and Houston--they will go after him too.

7 hours ago, Bear Hands said:

It must just be me but I‘M not a huge Higgins fan. Definitely not opposed as we need talent so sure, if it’s mutual, come on in. But he tends to deal with constant minor nagging injuries, doesn’t miss much time, but there’s just always something going on with the guy. Multiple hammys, ankle, shoulders has had that notable concussion hit, he’s tweaked stuff at practice.

I know plenty of Bengals fans are pretty indifferent with him leaving. Especially considering the potential of Iosivas and Charlie Jones.

In my very limited knowledge of our needs at WR, I think we will go after a type.  I have an idea that we have tall WRs now (Thielen , Mingo, and TMJ are all 6-2)  I think we need some Waddle and Hill types.  If we are getting the ball out in 2.7 seconds, we need some options that can break one from anywhere on the field. 

Having said that, I think this draft has some interesting choices in the third and possibly the fourth rounds at WR.  I expect 10-12 WRs to go in rounds 1 and 2, and there is still quality that should be there.  I like Corley, a YAC guy, and I like Malik Washington.  There are a few more. 

Of course, neither is a "#1 WR"  but these guys can impact games in a different way than what we have on the roster. 

I honestly believe that we could not have done a worse job of building a WR room for Bryce young than we did last year.  Throw in injuries to our top 3 guards and starting TE---yikes.

• Pie 1

3 hours ago, MHS831 said:

In my very limited knowledge of our needs at WR, I think we will go after a type.  I have an idea that we have tall WRs now (Thielen , Mingo, and TMJ are all 6-2)  I think we need some Waddle and Hill types.  If we are getting the ball out in 2.7 seconds, we need some options that can break one from anywhere on the field. 

Having said that, I think this draft has some interesting choices in the third and possibly the fourth rounds at WR.  I expect 10-12 WRs to go in rounds 1 and 2, and there is still quality that should be there.  I like Corley, a YAC guy, and I like Malik Washington.  There are a few more. 

Of course, neither is a "#1 WR"  but these guys can impact games in a different way than what we have on the roster. 

I honestly believe that we could not have done a worse job of building a WR room for Bryce young than we did last year.  Throw in injuries to our top 3 guards and starting TE---yikes.

Pretty much. Nailed it with that last paragraph.

We need a natural separater that comes with refined route running skills and a program with pro style offense.

Regarding the draft—mentioned elsewhere but the few that have had my eye (primarily since they were on a lot of national tv during the season) were McMillan out of WAS and Mitchell in Texas.

Mitchell at 33 is a strong possibility. His stock is rising - diverse route tree, can play multiple spots, good route runner, strong burst off the line.

I was a huge Odunze fan going into the year but he cemented a solid 1st round status. Troy Franklin is another to keep an eye on but he’s not as refined as a route runner, but has awesome big play ability. 

7 hours ago, mrcompletely11 said:

So we overpay.   That's the true panther way.   

You guys need to forget about guys like Higgins and Evans.  They aren't coming here.  Period full stop

This isn't the NBA. Players don't only want to go to the top franchises. They want guaranteed money first and foremost. Free agents almost never look for fit or to win a ring.

No matter how down you are about Tepper, Young and the Panthers (and yes, we all know, you do nothing but post how much you hate this franchise, with no other insight), the players don't think that way.

• Pie 1

Of course it’s possible. You don’t need to be an “insider” to connect the dots. The panthers have a HUGE need for WRs and desperately need a guy to be #1. Higgins is a FA, looking to get paid, and wants the ball. It’s a perfect fit, honestly.