• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Let's not go too crazy with OL upgrades

MHS831

Interior OL absolutely has to be addressed in this draft. At least a center and guard need to be selected (Powers-Johnson is the dream pick at 33, even before a WR, but I unfortunately think he's gone at that point). 

• Pie 2

I believe in building from the center out. Get the best you can find at each position on the offensive line and never be satisfied that you cannot possibly find an upgrade for any of them. In other words, never pass up the chance to get better on the oline. Because when they suck everyone looks like shyte. 

• Pie 2

4 hours ago, Jon Snow said:

I believe in building from the center out. Get the best you can find at each position on the offensive line and never be satisfied that you cannot possibly find an upgrade for any of them. In other words, never pass up the chance to get better on the oline. Because when they suck everyone looks like shyte. 

EH, LT>RT=C>LG>RG.  LT is king, center and the other tackle matter more than either guard spot imo. the center can help so much with line calls with the QB to cover interior sins if they can ID what the defense is trying to do. i'm all aboard the C train this year with the top 3 guys being really good. LT is deep this year though too. If we are willing to move Icky inside, things could get interesting.

Patrick Paul, Tyler Guytun and Jordan Morgan might be there at 33. 3 late tackles: Javon Foster, Christian Jones and Walter Rouse are in play and like D williams, likely could see the field in 2025. The guards this year are meh, likely better to go find a OT to convert, but wont be on the field for us this year.

11 hours ago, top dawg said:

I mean, I hear ya and might agree in theory, but I'm not going to fool myself about the O-line yet again. Not this time! We need to make a certain amount of investment into it, and it shouldn't be any Dollar-Store-Dave sh¡t!

When I mock, I find it hard to pass up on a few of these center-guards.  I get it. 

I vote crazy.  We need to improve depth and upgrade. Shuffling the line makes sense. Try BC at LT, slide Iky over to guard and Center should be a target in the draft. If Jackson-Powers is there at 33 I would take him over WR even. I don't think he will be though. Dream scenario for me is a trade down from 33 to somewhere in between 40 to 48 gaining a pick around 69 and 76. 

With those picks and 65 adding say a Van Pran, Mahogany and WR. Then at 101 TE or double dip at WR. Offense needs a lot of help. 

On 2/16/2024 at 7:35 AM, mickeye76 said:

Try BC at LT, slide Iky over to guard

I would absolutely give that lineup a look in camp. Icky can play LT in a power running scheme that largely leans on play action to setup the pass. Think Delhomme era John Fox offense. But I don't think Bryce can play in that style of offense. He's not comfortably turning his back to the LOS. I think Icky is an OG in an offense that Bryce can play in.

The only way i see this working is if they go back to the run and get a SOLID Center. otherwise nah bud, this ain't working. Ickey was miles better as a run first LT and only some Passing downs, and not a full 3 pass downs.

Also the idea of moving Ickey to LG and thinking that will magically fix him is just asinine. In College he played LT and limited LG snaps. Zavala was next to him most of his career.  Moving him to LG will not magically fix the issues, that narrative needs to die.

unless Canales plans on having a power run game this offensive line will struggle. 

Bozeman regressed hard last year

Corbett is coming off major knee injuries in back to back years

BC at best was a mediocre guard

Ickey, as of right now, has zero confidence and is playing terribly. 

Moton is the only one who doesn't need to be upgraded at this point

Now obviously you can't replace 4/5 starters in one offseason but we desperately need to get quality depth in FA and draft young players at G and/or C

8 minutes ago, SOJA said:

unless Canales plans on having a power run game this offensive line will struggle. 

Bozeman regressed hard last year

Corbett is coming off major knee injuries in back to back years

BC at best was a mediocre guard

Ickey, as of right now, has zero confidence and is playing terribly. 

Moton is the only one who doesn't need to be upgraded at this point

Now obviously you can't replace 4/5 starters in one offseason but we desperately need to get quality depth in FA and draft young players at G and/or C

moton costs 29mil against the cap.  They got to figure out something with him

• Pie 1

Panthers wanted to talk about Brees and this deep dive into Brees analytics.   They should have paid attention to all the Pro Bowl and All Pros Brees had on the OL.  Brees probably had the best interior OL play in the NFL during his prime years. 

• Pie 2